Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Question for those who cut your patches  (Read 792 times)

Gilla999

Question for those who cut your patches
« on: July 10, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »

I haven't posted in quite a while - trying to focus my life on other things except my hormones! But as a quick update, it's become clear that whatever has been going on with my hormones (and something has most definitely been going on) it wasn't perimenopause. No doctor has any idea what else it is - all we know is that all of my hormones (not just Estrogen, but Testosterone and Progesterone too) surged very high for a couple of years, then very rapidly plummeted for a couple of years (which caused all the immediate and severe menopausal symptoms and caused me to start HRT which fixed them). Then last year my hormones all increased rapidly back up again. All the while ovulating like clockwork every month. It was this sudden rise back up again (whilst already on a medium dose of HRT) that tipped me over into mast cell/histamine hell and I'm still suffering from horrendous allergy like symptoms as a result. Even the natural rises in Estrogen as part of my cycle set me off into a world of allergy hell. The only solution offered to me by doctors is Zoladex (chemical menopause) to switch off the fluctuations, but I am so reluctant to take that giant leap, for fear of causing more problems than I fix.

Anyway I have got down to a very low dose of HRT (as I definitely don't need to be on it anymore, yet have terrible withdrawal coming off it). I'm down to about 1/4 of a 25mg Estradot patch. Tried removing it entirely but had a reoccurence within a few days of my classic sleep related hormones issues, so have gone back on and will need to reduce more gradually. I realise to some this will sound crazy, but I know from many tests that I seem to absorb a lot transdermally, so I think what is no doubt a ridiculously small amount to others, actually makes quite a big difference to me.

I'm struggling with cutting the patches though - for ladies out there who cut patches, do you cut either side of the dividing line? Or if (for example) you're on half a patch, do you cut down the dividing line and if so, how do you get the sticky backing off without it sticking to you?!

Jellyb

Re: Question for those who cut your patches
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 07:37:07 PM »

Hi,
I cut my patch diagonally,  that way I'm left with a small part of the backing & a larger part. It works well that way.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »

Hi

I cut mine longitudinally (not down the dividing line!) so you can still peel off both parts of the backing though I think different patches are slightly different in this respect. Personally I wouldn't cut them diagonally because it leaves a longer cut edge - and I find the cut edge doesn't stay stuck down quite so well as the uncut edges,  and also cutting diagonally leaves two pointy bits which come unstuck more easily (I found). From the product point of view it matters not a jot which way you cut them as the oestrogen is evenly spread throughout the patch - I think most patches nowadays are matrix rather than reservoir patches. (The latter I think it did matter how they were cut maybe?)

So you have two opinions there - take your pick or try them both!

Hurdity x

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 08:05:48 PM »

When I was on rectangular Estradot patches I cut them along the shorter edge, but the squarer Evorel I just cut off one side, but then also cut a very small amount around the very corners of the cut edge to minimise irritation from the points sticking in.  A quarter of an Estradot 25mcg must be fiddly for you to apply Gilla, as they are so tiny to start with.

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 07:20:29 AM »

Thank you ladies, this is really helpful - I can't believe I didn't even think about cutting the patch any other way than vertically - face palm moment!

Wrengsong, lovely to hear from you and I have you're well  :)  I actually have some Evorel patches in the draw from when there was an Estradot shortage, so I might take a look and see if size wise they are any different/easier for me than Estradot. It all sounds ridiculously silly when it's such a small dose, but I am ultra sensitive to all medications. Thanks again ladies xx