Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Menopause supplements and HRT - are they a bad idea at the same time?  (Read 7623 times)

SwimyAlice

Hi has anyone had good or bad results or know about problems in taking menopause supplements alongside HRT?
Will taking something like Hey Nutrition's Menopause complex or Happy Mammoth's menopause complex mess with the HRT or help troublesome symptoms that are sticking around during perimenopause.
I was taking Hey nutrition alongside daily oestrogen and nightly progesterone - but still having breakthrough bleeds and mood swings after 6 months. I wonder if I'm causing myself problems by taking the supplements no top of HRT???
I recently bought Happy Mammoth to try but realise I maybe out of the frying pan and into the fire?!
Any wisdom gratefully received! Thank you :)

Hey nutrition ingredients - Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Magenisum, Zinc, Maca Root Extract, Milk Thistle Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Alfalfa Powder, Dony Quai Extract, Soy Isoflavones

Happy Mammoth ingredient - Fennel (seed) extract 10:1
Maca (Lepidium meyenii) root extract 10:1
Chamomile (flower) extract 10:1
Broccoli Sprout extract 20:1
(Brassica oleracea)
Berberine extract 6:1
Chaste Tree (fruit) extract 10:1
American Ginseng (root) extract 8:1
Gymnema Sylvestre extract 4:1
Ashwagandha (root) extract 25:1
Rhodiola Rose extract 10:1
(3% Rosavins+2% Salidroside)
Wild Yam (root) extract 8:1
Rosemary (leaf) extract 8:1

Dierdre

Taking supplements with large amounts of soy and phytoestrogens can attach to the estrogen receptors and compete with your HRT so you may not be getting the stronger dosage from the medication.

Ama

Thank you for this question. Im also wondering if menopause supplements have an added value to HRT.

I just bought Ashwagandha supplements containing:

KSM-66 Ashwagandha 750mg extract (equivalent to 9,000mg)

B Vitamins:
Vitamin B1,
Vitamin B2,
Vitamin B3, 
Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12, Rhodiola Rosea,
Passion Flower,
L-Tryptophan,
Black Pepper Extract

Please can you help with advice on whether supplements interfere with HRT.

Many thanks.

SwimyAlice

Thanks Deirdre this is very interesting
Taking supplements with large amounts of soy and phytoestrogens can attach to the estrogen receptors and compete with your HRT so you may not be getting the stronger dosage from the medication.

Maybe Ashwagandha can work alongside without adverse interactions - any help gratefully received from herbs and human advice!!

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!

It depends who you ask!
My GP told me to keep taking black cohosh and vitamins alongside hrt and suggested I try red clover too (didn't work).
The hrt clinic told me to stop taking my supplements before starting hrt, I said it was my GP who said to take them, so the hrt clinic nurse said, "Ok, if your GP says it's alright then I'm not going to overrule them."

I'm interested in the comment saying it might compete for receptors, maybe this is why Evorel50 did absolutely nothing for me but Estradot50 is working?

On balance it's probably best to try out one medicine without interference from other medicines, so you can know what it does for you.
In future I'm stopping herbals before trialling more hrt, but I'll add them back in if I think they'll help me!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 08:03:50 AM by meno-mel »

Kathleen

Hello ladies.

I was also recommended Red Clover by a GP, she said she had read an article about it in Family Circle magazine!

We have two types of oestrogen receptors, Alpha and Beta and Soy isoflavones attach to Beta.  The  science suggests that soy can  reduce Meno symptoms and  moderate oestrogen in peri menopause which explains why it is in these supplements.

I have tried supplements in the past and probably will again as my HRT isn't helping with all my symptoms.

Take care ladies.

K.

AngelaH

So why buy supplements instead of having plenty of soy in your food?

Kathleen

Hello again ladies.

I have been looking into increasing the amount of soy I consume to see if it helps. I already have soy milk on my breakfast cereal and drink a glass of soy milk at bedtime.
I don't like Miso but I haven't tried any other products yet.

I can see why soy is used in Meno supplements but apparently there can be a problem if you have an under active thyroid.

Take care ladies.

K

AngelaH

but apparently there can be a problem if you have an under active thyroid.

However, there's no evidence that people who have hypothyroidism should avoid soy completely.

Generally, it's best to wait four hours after taking thyroid medication to consume any products that contain soy. The same guidelines apply to other products that may impair the body's ability to absorb thyroid medication, including concentrated iron and calcium supplements, and antacids that contain calcium or aluminum hydroxide.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hyperthyroidism/faq-20058188#:~:text=Hypothyroidism%20is%20generally%20treated%20with,hypothyroidism%20should%20avoid%20soy%20completely.

Kathleen

Hello again ladies.

Angela H - Thank you for the link.

I usually take my Levothyroxine about two hours before breakfast and my blood tests have always been in the normal range. However I take the point about four hours so perhaps I will take the medication even earlier in the day.

Thanks again for the heads up and wishing you well.

K.