Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Should I stop my hrt?  (Read 459 times)

Ohmydays

• First Flush
Should I stop my hrt?
« on: June 20, 2023, 03:28:46 PM »

I am 43 and started hrt 3 months ago(oestrogen 2 pumps and utrogestan progesterone 200mg for 14 days per cycle)
Before hrt I was angry and really bad brain fog along wuth low libido.  now I am so clinically depressed and have tremendous anxiety.  I cry all day and can't do things I used to, most says i just stay in bed. U have 3 children and its making their lives and my husbands a misery, I just want it to stop.  I have been back to my GP twice who just increased my Citalapram and now has given me diazepam.  I asked should I come off or change hrt , she said no the dose is too low. Anyway looking back I never got on with hormone contraceptives, both the pill, implant and mini pill. So I am thinking should I just come off hrt ?? Would really appreciate some advice and should I just stop it or wean off it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Should I stop my hrt?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »

Hi!  If you have a history of depression and/or anxiety then HRT is probably not the best start.  How were you after the births of the children: what have you periods been up to in recent years?

Which dose of Citalapram are you on?  Which is worse, the depression or anxiety?   I have taken ADs since 1988 with various degrees of success; as well as a beta-blocka to ease early morning anxiety surges which worked well for years; now I have an emergency anti-anxiety drug to take immediately anxiety strikes.  My ADs - 5mg Escitalopram at breakfast and 10mg at night do the job.

3 months isn't long to trial HRT but if you do feel it's not for you at this time, then stop.  Hopefully someone will be along with advice.  Many find that the progesterone part of an HRT regime is difficult so you are not alone.

:welcomemm:

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 04:38:32 PM »

Hello ohmydays and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so low. I suspect it is the ultrogestan causing this because many women report the same. It can be very difficult to find the right progesterone part of the HRT especially if sensitive to progesterone. You could try a different progesterone.

I was wondering how you would feel if you used the gel only for a short time just to see how you get on. If you feel better then you will know it is the ultrogestan and you could then try a different progesterone.

This is a very helpful link for your husband and children to read. It will give them more of an idea of what you are going through.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2458.0.html

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 05:04:44 PM »

Hello Ohmydays and welcome to the forum.

I am so sorry that you are suffering.

I agree with Flossieteacake that you could stop taking Utrogestan for a while and just use the Oestrogen gel.

This advice was given to me by Newson Health, a private clinic and it will let you know if it is the Utrogestan  causing your problems. The doctor I spoke to a NH  said that is was safe to use the gel only for up to three months. If you feel much better you can go back to your GP  and ask for a different progesterone or the mirena coil. At least you will have more information to work with.

I hope this is helpful.

Wishing you well and sending hugs.

K.

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 09:16:51 PM »

I wouldn't stop it just yet but experiment with a few things...

With low libido, it's likely you need testosterone as well. That might also help with brain fog. But you prob need to get further with just progesterone and estrogen before they will add that in. (Although some doctors do add it right away so it's worth asking.)

You could try reducing your estrogen to 1 pump and see how you feel, that would be v safe to do. Perhaps you just started too sudden, too high. (Did you go right in at 2 pumps?)

With the utrogestan, you could take it vaginally instead of orally and see if that helps. Are you noticing a difference in the depression when you are taking the progesterone (is it worst then)? There are other progestins you can take instead or you could consider the mirena coil.

Most commonly, the anxiety is caused by estrogen - either too high or too sudden changes/fluctuations - and the depression is caused by utrogestan/progesterone. But everyone is different.