Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pri menopausal  (Read 1643 times)

Sam13579

Pri menopausal
« on: June 19, 2023, 09:25:48 AM »

Has anyone else lost weight going through this I have lost a stone and half since last year had every test going all clear said could be pri menopausal

Wrensong

Re: Pri menopausal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »

Yes, I unintentionally lost a stone in peri & was already underweight.  3 nutritious main meals a day with healthy snacks between might help if you need to put some back on.   :welcomemm:
Wx
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:24:56 AM by Wrensong »

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 10:43:29 AM »

Yes, I've often been too thin and perimenopause seems to make anything that was a bit wrong, worse.

I lost weight until I went on tibolone, then I got back my appetite, felt enjoyment when eating and had 100g of chocolate in the evenings for a few months as well, I put on close to two stone and felt amazing.

I was switched from tibolone to estrogen hrt a few weeks ago, they said tibolone wasn't right for me so I've been losing weight again ever since, I'm nauseaus a lot and my jaw joint hurts badly at every single bite, I sweat when I try to cook and feel ill most of the time, basically everything has gone wrong again. :(

I get a four month review in August along with a scan, I plan to beg for tibolone on my knees if necessary.

Sam13579

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 10:45:26 AM »

Thanks for your reply it helped though I was alone in this as people I have spoken to have put weight on

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 10:56:59 AM »

Don't wait for the 4 months, 1 shouldn't be feeling ill !  We are told to wait 3-4 months to allow any HRT regime to kick in, however. 

There is always a reason why people lose or put on weight - have U had your thyroid function tests recently.  Also make sure that VitD levels are high enough otherwise intense tiredness may set in.

Eating little and often can help too.  Grazing: my go - dried fruits and nuts; bananas; porridge; chocolate; live yoghurt ..........

Ermin2trude

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 10:58:16 AM »

Yep,
I’m another one that was already underweight and lost more weight during peri. I’ve stabilised but still half a stone lighter than I was before.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 11:01:52 AM »

I lost an awful lot of weight during peri in the year before starting hrt. Started hrt at end of December and have been slowly gaining ever since. Didn't mind at first as was very underweight (anxiety part of weight loss too) but would quite like it to stop now  ;D

Sam13579

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 11:03:13 AM »

Yes all full blood count and everything think else last week again and all good no problems I have a sliding hernia we’re oesophagus stays open, so I have to be really careful what I eat as it will give me really bad acid reflux. I also have to be really careful with dairy if I drink too much milk or have anything with too much dairy that also plays my stomach up I now weigh 7st 14lb and I am desperate to put weight on as this can make you feel really tired to

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 11:06:52 AM »

I also can't tolerate daily anymore, so switched to oat milk for coffee and almond for porridge, cereal etc. Almond milk in particular will help you add in extra calories. I wonder if the weight loss is in part because of how you have to watch your diet with the hernia? I had the same with gastritis last year and had to eat way more than I thought I needed just to have enough calories.Things like bananas, avocados, nuts etc help x

Sam13579

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »

Forgot to say, I have intolerance to oats, dairy cheese, tomatoes, and onions so it bloody hard to eat properly doctor’s don’t want to know they just said keep a eye on it for a couple of months if still losing come back so that’s helpful not 😂

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 11:20:52 AM »

Perhaps ask for an appt with a dietician?

For years I was allergic to onions ............  >:( and I love 'em. 

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 11:24:51 AM »

Apart from oats, all the others would trigger reflux in ne anyway, tomatoes especially and I love them!

Sam13579

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 11:25:30 AM »

Yes I love all of the things I have to be careful of 😂

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 11:48:45 AM »

Acids - also some fruits/veg are related to one food type; can't remember though, being menopausal  ::)

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 03:06:00 PM »

To combat acid reflux, raw baby spinach leaves are great for making a salad out of or just snacking on. They are alkaline, so I've been told. Not good for weight gain, but I find once I can eat a bit, then I can often eat a bit more of something more calorific.

I get acid reflux, terrible pains, sometimes the only thing I can eat is baby spinach!
Pages: [1] 2