Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem substituted by Vagirux  (Read 4386 times)

hwils

Vagifem substituted by Vagirux
« on: June 01, 2023, 05:12:37 PM »

Hi, haven’t been on the forum for a while. I’m 4 yrs post menopause at 54. I’ve been using Vagifem for many years due to terrible pain & burning, Vagifem completely solved these problems for me, which arose before all the menopausal awareness that we have now; so it was hard to get initially. Recently I was issued with Vagirux instead as my health board now prescribes this due to its multiple use applicator. This didn’t bother me at all & seemed environmentally friendly, however 3 wks later my problems seemed to be returning,  which after years of relief I don’t  think can be a coincidence, despite both preparations being the same -  estradiol? Bit puzzling. Bought Vagifem online in desperation & things have improved & but am using a bit more than twice a wk until things hopefully get back to normal. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this with meds & do drs ever prescribe Vagifem for more than twice weekly? I do intend contacting dr but it’s diff to get even telephone appt as I work full time. Any advice appreciated!  :)

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem substituted by Vagirux
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 05:33:14 PM »

The original strength of Vagifem was 25 mcg estradiol per tablet, so as a maintenance dose you could increase to 5 a week of the current 10 mcg version. If your GP blenches at this, remind them that the Estring delivers 50 mcg per week, or ask for the Estring instead.
JP x

hwils

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 05:43:08 PM »

The original strength of Vagifem was 25 mcg estradiol per tablet, so as a maintenance dose you could increase to 5 a week of the current 10 mcg version. If your GP blenches at this, remind them that the Estring delivers 50 mcg per week, or ask for the Estring instead.

JP x

Thank you  :)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 06:14:18 PM »

Although they say Vagifem and Vagirux are exactly the same, I have read posts on here were members VA symptoms returned when switching to Vagirux. It is good you are using it more then twice a week. The suggest of twice a week has never been enough for me. I have to use VA treatment daily or my symptoms flare. 

hwils

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 07:06:12 PM »

Although they say Vagifem and Vagirux are exactly the same, I have read posts on here were members VA symptoms returned when switching to Vagirux. It is good you are using it more then twice a week. The suggest of twice a week has never been enough for me. I have to use VA treatment daily or my symptoms flare.

Interesting, I suspected that. I wonder if my gp will return to prescribing Vagifem though.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 07:11:41 PM »

Interesting, I suspected that. I wonder if my gp will return to prescribing Vagifem though.

Perhaps you could tell the GP that it is not working for you and you think you are reacting to something in the fillers? It is worth a try. I hope they do give you Vagifem again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 07:58:07 PM »

If U don't ask you don't get!  Is Vagirux cheaper?

let us know how you get on

hwils

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 08:20:06 PM »

Yes hopefully they will, it’s not much cheaper looking at the prices on the website where I bought Vagifem. I think it’s more that each Vagifem has its own plastic applicator which to be honest I hadn’t really thought about, was just glad not to be in agony!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 10:06:09 PM »

Ovestin has an applicator which can be washed.  Some require both Vagifem internally and Ovestin smeared gently on the vulva, or the other way round  ::) it can be a bit Trial and Error. 

hwils

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 10:39:20 PM »

Yes I’ve heard that can be necessary.

Blot

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 11:05:21 PM »

I just get estradiol vaginal tablets with the reusable applicators now instead of vagifem. I’ve been ok on them though. I suspect it’s a cost thing for this. When I initially queried it at the pharmacy they said it was because vagifem came off licence or something.

For some reason I forget to use them which I never did with vagifem.

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 09:56:55 AM »

Maybe you could try ovestin which I use, one applicator per tube.  Or as flossieteacake says, try a bit of fibbing about fillers.  Twice a week is not enough for most women so do what you can to get relief from the horrible symptoms.  Nothing is more important. Good luck.

hwils

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 06:44:52 PM »

I just get estradiol vaginal tablets with the reusable applicators now instead of vagifem. I’ve been ok on them though. I suspect it’s a cost thing for this. When I initially queried it at the pharmacy they said it was because vagifem came off licence or something.

For some reason I forget to use them which I never did with vagifem.

Yes I think off licence means a bit like a patent, other manufacturers are free to make their own versions of Vagifem now. I used to forget to take Vagifem  without problems.

hwils

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 06:47:14 PM »

Maybe you could try ovestin which I use, one applicator per tube.  Or as flossieteacake says, try a bit of fibbing about fillers.  Twice a week is not enough for most women so do what you can to get relief from the horrible symptoms.  Nothing is more important. Good luck.

I’m taking it 3 times a week at the moment, hopefully that will be enough.  :-\

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2023, 06:50:47 PM »

I’m taking it 3 times a week at the moment, hopefully that will be enough.  :-\

You could try it daily until your symptoms improve and then see if you can reduce it. :)
Pages: [1] 2