Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: When does bleeding become a concern?  (Read 1097 times)

Ruthie

When does bleeding become a concern?
« on: May 15, 2023, 10:33:03 AM »

Hi all,
I'm 59 and am now three months in to using Everol Conti patches (for minor meno symptoms and secondary oesteoporosis treatment). In month two, I had a light bleed for seven days. I then had eleven days bleed-free, but them started a proper period and I'm six days in with no indication that it is stopping. I know that I should expect bleeding in the first six months, but assumed it would be monthly? I'm away on a long holiday at the weekend, so wondered if I should speak to my Dr (if I can!) before I go, or just carry on as I am? Anyone else had erratic bleeding, and what was the outcome please? What causes the bleeding - too much or too little oestrogen?
Thanks for any advice

Taz2

Re: When does bleeding become a concern?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »

Hi Ruthie. I had constant bleeding for the first six months of conti HRT and then I gave up and went back on to a sequi regime to save all of the hassle of the unpredictability of it. I was 57 at the time. I think the bleeding on conti can be continuous or period-like or breakthrough/spotting. Any of these are fine for the first six months - although very inconvenient. Any bleeding brought on by having sex should be investigated though. Were you having natural periods still before beginning conti?

Taz x

Ruthie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 04:46:45 PM »

Hi Taz and thanks for your reply,
I'd been period free for c8 years before starting,  so I'm wondering whether it's the shock of oestrogen after all these years.  It's reassuring to know that you also had a lot of bleeding.  I can cope with it for a while,  and I'll just have to hope that it tails off over the next few months or I'll have to consider alternatives. It's a pity,  as the patches are easy to use and are having positive effects on my symptoms.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 05:58:26 PM »

You could swap to Evorel sequi if it doesn't settle by the six month mark. This should just give you a monthly withdrawal bleed. Others on here are still using a sequi HRT in their sixties due to bleeding problems on conti or the fact that continuous progesterone doesn't suit them .My withdrawal bleeds, after the first couple of months, were light and short and predictable.

Taz x

Ruthie

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 05:08:16 PM »

Thanks Taz2, if it doesn't settle I'll consider that,  as everything else is OK with the Conti x