Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan side effects worse sequentially or continuously?  (Read 1521 times)

Joomelbee

• First Flush

Hi, everyone -  been scouring the forum for experiences like mine and struggling to find the answers Im after.

The 50mg Evorel estradiol patches are working well, but I'm  not getting on with sequential Utrogestan at all. It's  better than the 1 and a half months I tried Evorel Sequi patches, but I still struggle with low, tearful and angry mood, feeling bloated, sore and greasy, and occasional erruptions of cystic acne.

I've  tried 2 months of Utrogestan  200mg for 12 nights orally, and I'm  in the middle of trying the same vaginally, but  the side effects are still definitely there. I am really not enjoying feeling like this.
Also, I am so far not bleeding in the breaks. I was very nearly menopausal when I started HRT - then I had a rogue period pop up after 10 months, so they declared me Not-Quite and the algorithm dictated I Must Take Sequential.

I am wondering if part of the problem may be the fluctuating levels, so considering asking/begging to be allowed to try 100mg Utrogestan continuously.  Has anyone else found making this change helped with side effects?

(Reluctant to reduce sequential doses or intervals, as the British Menopause Society is still saying safest to keep same dose even if using vaginally, and to not take any fewer than 12 days sequentially).

Peanut31

Re: Utrogestan side effects worse sequentially or continuously?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 09:16:52 PM »

Hi

I’ve been struggling with utrogestan too, now trying it vaginally.

I was told by my Menopause clinic (Newson Health) to just use 100mg instead of 200mg 14 days on 14 days off.

However, I don’t feel comfortable doing this as in 100mg and not 200mg.

I did email Dr Currie for some guidance and she did advised that although in the UK we don’t take it vaginally, I could try it, but it must be 200mg.

Best wishes

Tynkabelle

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 09:35:24 PM »

I have a slightly different situation in that I was put on Utrogestan 100mg continuous 2 weeks ago only because my usual HRT is not available - put comment on other posts etc ( I’m also now taking 4 pumps of oestrogen gel)
(My original HRT was not continuous and the progesterone was for the latter half of the month)

Anyway I have gone from having no symptoms on my old HRT to having a number of symptoms on Utrogestan 100mg - been keeping a daily diary - 4 days onwards cramps/ headaches / nausea, then on day 6 onwards been having daily flushes and now 2 days ago have been also getting cramps and a heavy discharge/period - is this temporary? No idea but seeing a number of posts regarding Utrogestan and effects it’s having on others.

we are all different in terms of effects we could get, but for me on continuous 100mg version is not looking promising - if you feel this may be a better option, then I reckon you should talk it through with your Dr to see if you can change.
( I’m going to be contacting mine in a few days if these symptoms don’t calm down :( )

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 09:44:08 PM by Tynkabelle »

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 07:05:33 AM »

Hi Tynkabelle,

Sorry to hear you are having problems on conti.

I'm not sure why you were advised to change your regime from sequi to conti just because your "type" of HRT was unavailable. I'm surprised they didn't just keep you on sequi with gel and Utrogestan. Changing more than one variable at a time can confuse things imo.

I have tried twice to move from sequi to conti in last 9 months (gel & utrogestan) without success, for similar reasons as you (I.e. reoccurring symptoms, muscle pain, swollen painful breasts and general bloating). I dont think my body is ready for it. Initially I thought it doesnt like the continuous 100mg of utrogestan but in hindsight as I never got past 3 weeks I wonder if it's the balance between oestrogen and progesterone that isn't right I.e. maybe the 100mg is not enough as I am ok with 200mg for 14 days a month. I haven't a clue really, it's all guess work. My GP is ok for me to stay on sequi for now (I'm nearly 55) and that suits me best. Maybe try sequi on the gel and Utrogestan and see off things settle a bit?

Tynkabelle

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 02:28:56 PM »

Hi DottyD68

Thank you for your comment, my Dr has limited experience and did her best in doing research, trial and error as I am a long time user of HRT and on highest dosage. 

I think you may be right re getting the balance right, I think in my case it may be not enough eostrogen going in via the 4 gel pumps,  but who knows though!

It’s just a nightmare for us all getting the right mix that works with little to no side effects and the supply chain working ok to provide when we need it,
I am on day 17 so guess I should keep going till day 30 so have evidence of a full month to talk about.

Positive vibes to us all that we find something that works soon! 👍

Joomelbee

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 07:57:14 PM »

So has anyone else found that changing from 200mg Utrogestan sequentially to 100mg continuously helped them tolerate the side effects?
Particularly the mood effects, but also the acne and fluid retention discomfort? Or has it been worse continuously?

DottyD68

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 08:03:10 PM »

Hi Joomelbee,

Apologies for side-tracking your initial thread.

I think everyone is different and it's different for everyone depending upon where they are in their meno "journey" and even that is a moving target as things change.

All I would suggest is giving the100mg continuously a try and see how you get on. There isn't a black and white answer - it's all trial and error. Let us know how you get on.

Joomelbee

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 09:03:44 PM »

cheers DottyD68 - it's  all useful info out there, I just can't seem to find rhe reassurance I was hoping for that I can get this Progesterone bit to work for me.
Guess I will have to just try and and hope.

Joomelbee

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 10:29:36 PM »

Well it may be that I'm the only one with this problem, as I had so little response to my plea for advice. But just in case anyone else is struggling, I will report back on my experience after 3 months.
For me at least, switching from the sequential  Utrogestan regime (12 days at 200mg - tried both orally and vaginally) to the  100mg daily continuous regime (went back to taking orally) has been much more tolerable.
I dont know whether it's  easier to process half as much at a time, or whether it's the steady level of progesterone, but all my mood and physical symptoms are very much reduced.
No breakthrough bleeding yet, but I am nearly at menopause, and I am managing on a fairly low estriadol dose (Evorel 50 patch).

Hope this is helpful to someone.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:44:19 PM by Joomelbee »

DottyD68

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 08:17:25 AM »

Thanks Joomelbee for the update. Glad to hear your symptoms are reduced and things are settled.
I wonder if I didn't get on with continuous because my Oestrogel was 3 or 4 pumps at the time. Maybe I should give it another try now I'm down to 2 pumps.
Thanks again.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 09:03:06 AM »

Initially I thought it doesnt like the continuous 100mg of utrogestan but in hindsight as I never got past 3 weeks I wonder if it's the balance between oestrogen and progesterone that isn't right I.e. maybe the 100mg is not enough as I am ok with 200mg for 14 days a month.

The balance is to do with womb protection and nothing else in terms of our menstrual cycle and how it's replicated ( or not!) with HRT. You definitely do not need more progesterone in terms of how you feel. The difference between continuous and sequential is ore to do with whether you tolerate progesterone itself - and are happy on it - in whuch case you might be better of with continuous. This in contrast with having to start and stop progesterone - so having to endure the progesterone withdrawal, even thoough one might feel far better on oestrogen alone.

I have chosen to go down this route ie cyclical - but a longer cycle as I'm not on high dose oestrogen, becuse i feel better on oestrogen alone, do not like progesterone, and hate the withdrawal effects.

Hurdity x