Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysterectomy Finding - scared tbh  (Read 1579 times)

Stargazer

Hysterectomy Finding - scared tbh
« on: May 07, 2023, 01:30:13 PM »

I had a full hysterectomy with ovaries and tubes out on Thursday for Progesterone Intolerance so that I can continue with Oestrogen Lenzetto Spray as without I have terrible aching joints.

When was coming around in recovery a junior Dr said to me that they have a good look around the other organs to make sure everything is ok and found a 1cm surface liver nodule.  She said they would write to my GP to take this up.  I was so upset and groggy as you can imagine that they decided to do a CT Scan (as they had a space), bloods and arrange a two week follow up.  I spoke to the Consultant afterwards and he said that he was certain/absolutely certain it was not cancer as it did not look like this and there were no other evidence at all.  My liver function blood tests are normal and so are the cancer indicator blood tests for liver. I am waiting for the Liver outpatient apt about the CT Scan.  I am so worried about this I think trying to get over a major op at the same time has made me very upset.  Do you think it sounds negative?  I guess surgeons know what cancer looks like. He was lovely to me.

Gnatty

Re: Hysterectomy Finding - scared tbh
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 01:34:45 PM »

I am pretty sure they are quite common. In fact when my husband had a scan years ago for something else, they mentioned nodules on liver. But they weren't bothered or even interested to pursue any further. Try and just rest up and don't spoil this time of nurturing yourself by looking up stuff on the internet. I made that mistake in my recovery two years ago and had a nosedive mentally. Sit outside and relax. It's absolutely the best advice I can give you. xx

Stargazer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 01:37:36 PM »

Made me laugh Gnatty thank you.  Yes, I am sitting on the internet indoors looking things up frightening myself silly.  Will take you advice as it is making me feel very vulnerable and depressed - bless you x

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 02:36:38 PM »

Sure I've read on here about other ladies having nodules (liver, thyroid,  elsewhere) showing up as what they call 'incidental' findings when in for something else, and apparently most of us will have them we just won't know about it. Doctors, especially surgeons, know what they're looking for in terms of cancer, so if your consultant has said they are certain it isn't, then I would trust in that. They'll have seen what cancer looks like and will know the difference! X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 03:00:55 PM »

The liver is a determined organ in that it can regenerate itself.  How did the Consultant seem as the findings were explained?  Remember that he/she sees these types of oddities daily.

Let us know how you get on. Keep off Dr GOOGLE 'cos he don't know a lot  >:(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:19:30 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 03:02:08 PM »

Have these :  :foryou:  :tulips2: :tulips:

get into the ☀️ and top up that VitD ;-).

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 09:35:02 AM »

Hello Stargazer.

Years ago I read an article about a super duper scanner that could look at all the organs in the body at once. The doctors at the hospital said that most people have odd bits of cells or growths inside them that are totally harmless but the patients were likely to freak out!

When my son had his appendix out the surgeon said that everyone's anatomy is slightly different and this is completely normal.

I hope this helps you in some way and take care.

K.

Stargazer

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 07:51:28 AM »

There is a article in the Daily Mail today talking about these incidental findings because as you say the scanners are superdupper now and picking up all manner of things.

Stargazer

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 03:09:39 PM »

Update-  so I  have been invited to hospital for an MRI Scan GP was not surprised by this as she said it is hard to see the liver clearly on CT Scan.  The CT scan showed no other nodules in any other part of body and nothing written to suggest that they thought it was serious but we would have to wait for the MRI Scan.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 03:11:20 PM »

That's moving forwards, it's the waiting that can be difficult!

Stargazer

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 06:06:57 PM »

It is very difficult to wait - anyone else have experience of this please?

DottyD68

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 06:43:58 PM »

Hi Stargazer,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I have developed terrible health anxiety recently and even walking into a Gp's surgery brings me out in a sweat, so I can totally relate to how you must be feeling.

18 months ago my husband went for a private MRI scan on his pelvis and spine to investigate intermittent nerve sensations down his leg. It wasn't really causing him that much of a problem but because it came up in an annual company health screening he agreed to get it checked out. He went for a scan and 24 hours later received a call from the orthopaedic consultant on a Saturday night - totally out of the blue - to say that his spine/pelvis was fine other than general wear and tear, BUT the reason for phoning was that a "potential abnormality in his bowel" had shown up on the scan and he was duty-bound to get it checked out, urgently. He was so apologetic for giving my husband this message, and at the weekend. We were both totally floored with this news out of the blue especially as he didn't have any symptoms.

Anyway after a very frantic month getting various tests arranged, both thinking the worst,  it turned out that the "abnormality" was an "artefact", that is to say, an issue with the scan imaging showing a thicker than normal bowel lining and not a growth or tumour etc.

It was a horrible time.

What I'm trying to say, in a long-winded way is that:-

A) the doctors are being super-vigilant in getting any possible abnormalities they see checked put. This is a good thing because the sooner anything is identified (if there is anything) the sooner it can be treated.
B) Scans etc aren't always accurate at identifying anomalies so it could be nothing at all.
C) If any other tests (e.g. blood tests etc) aren't showing any issue it is a good thing

A friend of mine who recovered from bowel cancer and had terrible anxiety for follow up scans was told by her consultant to "deal with the facts". Although this is hard for those of us with health anxiety to do, it is excellent advice.

Reading everything you have said it sounds very unlikely that this is anything sinister and the doctor is just being very thorough.

This doesn't undermine how you are feeling. In your situation I would feel exactly the same as you but I just wanted to reach out to you. It's the unknown which is so scary. I hope you get positive clarification very soon. In the meantime sending you support and good wishes.

Stargazer

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 01:45:36 PM »

Thank you DottyD68 for you reply.  Really scary for you and your husband and I am pleased to hear it all turned out alright.

The health anxiety around these type of findings is very common I read and radiographers call it VOMIT acronym Victims of Medical Imaging Technology.

Mine nodular lesion was seen by the surgeon during the operation so he is convinced it is not cancerous, bloods fine including tumour marker blood tests all negative and GP yesterday (i range her to find out if CT Scan revealed anything) said that they CT did not show any nodules in any other areas of the body but they could get a really good look of nodule on CT so having an MRI scan to day (GP said this is not uncommon as CT not so good for livers). She said they hadn't written anything that would suggest they thought it was serious and it could be a cyst though to cover herself she said she couldn't be 100 certain. So I trying to relax a bit and get over this hysterectomy xx

Stargazer

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 01:46:57 PM »

MRI Scan today

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 05:11:21 PM »

Hope the scan went well today Stargazer, and that you're feeling reassured about it all. Great post from Dotty above, and I'd also read the Daily Mail article too, not good reading for those of us with health anxiety eh.
Pages: [1] 2