Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: feeling hesitant due to migraines  (Read 1016 times)

Tribbins

feeling hesitant due to migraines
« on: May 04, 2023, 10:37:02 AM »

Hi all

I have at last got HRT - Evorel 25 and Utrogestan 100 - but now feeling really anxious about starting it.  Mainly because I'm worried that I will aggravate the migraines that I get. They were so bad during peri and first couple of years after meno, but now have settled into just one a week which usually lasts a couple of days, and could be caused by my nocturnal teeth-grinding or night sweats. I have low grade headaches for other days. Migraines are nothing like they used to be, less painful, no vomiting, but I'm scared that I will plunge back into that state. At the same time, I just can't continue feeling like this - wiped out and just generally yuk, insomnia, sweats etc.

So I'm wondering whether I should start very slowly, maybe cut the patch into halves or even quarters so I don't shock my body too much?

What has been other people's experiences of starting HRT and being a migraine sufferer, and any advice please? I sound like such a wuss but I had a horrendous experience with Evorel Sequi during peri after using only a fraction of a patch. Obviously 7 years post, I'm not going to have my own additional hormones but I think I will still be really sensitive to any change.

Thank you :-)

Orba

Re: feeling hesitant due to migraines
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 04:27:49 PM »

Hi ,
I too am a migraine sufferer and have been since my 20s I'm just coming to the end of a week long one at present.
I've been on HRT for 18 months - mirena coil for progesterone and oestrogel.
I get migraine as much as I did before HRT but I l admit I was wary of starting it. I do remember getting a horrible migraine in the first few days after starting the oestrogel but that could have been coincidence?
On the whole I feel better and tbh  I'm prepared to put up with Migraine if my Meno symptoms are improved.
I am organized with my migraine attacks and take Triptans as soon as one starts. I also take a high dose of vitamin B2 which is proved to help.( Migrasoothe from Amazon)
I would say just start the HRT and see what happens. It depends what your migraine triggers are. Mine are emotional stress and tiredness.
Good luck x

Tribbins

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 07:27:58 AM »

Thank you for your response Orba. I've got myself into a right state stressing about starting HRT, and have been searching on here for posts that are about cutting patches and doing a slow start-up. I'm going to get some Migrasoothe, thank you for the recommendation. I'm down to one migraine a week now (7 years post meno) but also random general headaches. Yes, I find stress of any kind, even low-grade, triggers me these days. Unfortunately I can't take Triptans due to a bad response, and can't function on amitriptyline, so I am really wary of doing anything that makes the migraines worse or more frequent again. What strength of Oestrogel did you start on?

FlowerPot

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 08:32:47 AM »

Hi squibbins,

I also suffer migraines (no aura) which have worsened considerably in peri and are the main reason I was driven to try HRT.

I started end of Jan on 1 pump of Oestrogel and 100mg Utrogestan - taken daily to try and suppress my cycle. I felt an immediate improvement but after 3 mths the frequency had gradually crept back to where I was before I started - though the pain was definitely less intense. So two weeks ago I increased my Oestrogel to 1 and a half pumps and after two days my head cleared again and I have had no sign of migraine since. Hopefully this will be enough but I will increase to two pumps if they come back.

I would definitely give it a try and fingers crossed it will work as well for you x

Tribbins

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 12:11:52 PM »

Hi Flowerpot -

really glad that you have got a regime that is working for you, migraines are just so life-consuming. My migraines have got less intense, but still way too frequent, so this morning I actually cut a patch into four and have stuck a quarter on!! Feeling a bit wired but that could be a combination of anxiety and only sleeping for 3 and a half hours. Not so brave but it's a start! - How are you getting on with Utrogestan? I've been reading different posts and saw something about starting oestrogen first then start Utrogestan after a week, as I'm on such a miniscule amount of oestrogen I'm thinking that is what I will do.

Hope that your current dosage continues to keep those migraines at bay :-)

Carrie

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 09:26:43 AM »

Hi ladies I have been on hrt for 18months Estrodot 50mcg and coil in. Recently I have started to bloat gain weight and very bad breast tenderness. So I went to menopause clinic and bloods revealed progesterone was very low so she started me on uterogestan vaginally as I previously had migraines over the years. So after 2 weeks of daily headaches I have stopped the progesterone. That’s 2 days ago and I still have a headache and didn’t sleep last night. I have also gone down to 25mcg as on a call to doc we decided that my painful breasts are due to too much oestrogen. Chemist couldn’t get the Estrodot in that dose so I’m on another brand. I’m totally peed off with the whole thing. Some make out that HRT is a magic cure and once you get on it all is sorted. Not the case. Has anyone any suggestions for me.