Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding after 17 days  (Read 636 times)

Katie7800

Bleeding after 17 days
« on: May 03, 2023, 06:10:01 PM »

Firstly, thank you so much for the replies I had to my very first post! I can’t find the post again! So apologies  for lack of individual replies to yours.

Some more advice please…

I am on day two of quite a heavy period, which started only four days into the progesterone (Utrogestan) part of the month. So on day 17 or 18. The first 2 months I started at 28 days, then 24 days and now 17. It’s a proper period (with pain and a headache), not spotting. Will this settle into spreading out to 28 days again, given time?

I will carry on taking the Utro for the full 14 days, but it seems strange to do this for so long *after* a period! Surely my body will be confused and completely out of sync.

Have any of you experienced similar?

Thanks so much for reading this x

VanillaLover

Re: Bleeding after 17 days
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 10:22:50 AM »

Yeah I have this. I now take utrogestan continuously and still get periods according to whatever schedule they want to go on! (Gp is fine with that in fact she suggested I move from sequential).

When I was taking it two weeks on and two weeks off it didn’t control my periods in any way either.

I would give it a bit longer and see if they get in sync.

What were your periods doing before you started HRT? Cycle length and regularity wise?

Were the first two months the correct time for progesterone withdrawal? Ie two or three days after stopping the utrogestan? Do you take 12 days or 14 days? And start on day 14?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 01:28:03 PM »

I found my own cycle was always stronger than the hrt one. I also went through a phase of shortened cycles but they lengthened again so probably yours will too. If you tell when you ovulate you can start utro a couple of days later so your own bleed and the hrt one come at the same time. If not I would continue with the 28 day cycle until your own lengthens then try to get them in sync.

Katie7800

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 07:39:38 PM »

Yeah I have this. I now take utrogestan continuously and still get periods according to whatever schedule they want to go on! (Gp is fine with that in fact she suggested I move from sequential).

When I was taking it two weeks on and two weeks off it didn’t control my periods in any way either.

I would give it a bit longer and see if they get in sync.

What were your periods doing before you started HRT? Cycle length and regularity wise?

Were the first two months the correct time for progesterone withdrawal? Ie two or three days after stopping the utrogestan? Do you take 12 days or 14 days? And start on day 14?

Thanks for your reply! Ah, perhaps my doc will suggest same as yours (though I am assuming you take just one capsule of Utro per day instead of two).

Before HRT my periods - which before perimenopause had always started on day 28 - were starting on day 20-24.

The first month of HRT my period started on the last day of Utro I think, day 28. But the second month my period started at 24 days, so while I still had four days left of Utro to take. And this month on day 18, when I was only 4 days into the Utro!

I take Utro on day 14, for 14 days, which is what my doc told me to do.

Something I forgot to mention is that I upped my oestrogen dose a little bit this month. I’ve got from 1x 0.5mg sachet to 1.2 x sachets (ie I have an extra fifth of a sachet each day now). So perhaps this has upset the applecart somewhat!

X

Katie7800

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 07:45:45 PM »

I found my own cycle was always stronger than the hrt one. I also went through a phase of shortened cycles but they lengthened again so probably yours will too. If you tell when you ovulate you can start utro a couple of days later so your own bleed and the hrt one come at the same time. If not I would continue with the 28 day cycle until your own lengthens then try to get them in sync.

Thanks so much for your reply. I forgot to mention that I upped my oestrogen dose a bit this month (I now have an extra fifth of a dose on top of my original dose) which may have upset things.

I will give it a couple/ a few more months and see if my own cycle adjusts…

I get quite bad period pains so having more frequent periods isn’t much fun! But hopefully it’ll sort itself out. I think the pain is slightly better than previously so perhaps HRT is helping that a tiny bit.

Thanks again for your advice x