Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: No left Ovary!  (Read 1198 times)

Losingtheplot

No left Ovary!
« on: April 24, 2023, 06:51:56 AM »

So I had a pelvic and trans vag scan a few days ago and apparently I have no left Ovary!  Right one showed on the scan but where has the left one gone!!   :o

It was explained to me that when a woman is post meno then this equipment shrinks right down but to disappear completely seems very strange - even the sonographer asked me if I had any work done ! :o :o :o :o :o  to which I replied no nothing.  Can ovaries just disappear???

I think this clearly means I am post meno?  I only guessed I was peri when I hit 40 as I started suffering various symptoms that no GP linked to peri as said I was too young but now I look back I must of been! The worst symptom I recall was itchy skin so bad on my big toes that the skin would end up bleeding.

Then underneath my armpits and across my torso where I ended up with rashes off constantly scratching. Its seems to have just all crept up on me with me having no periods.

My mam told me she stopped having periods at age 45. I haven't had a period for atleast 14 years.  I had no periods on the depo injection or on the contraceptive implant that I am currently on.

Just very confused and if I have one less ovary surely I don't need contraception now as chances of falling pregnant should be a big fat 0!

I am concerned as just started a new HRT regime which I feel is now helping me  :) only been a week but yesterday and today so far panic attacks alot less intense infact this morning was very mild and anxiety is more under control but my concern is if I am still on implant then the 14 days where I take Utrogestan would this be too much if the implant is also releasing progesterone?

sheila99

Re: No left Ovary!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 08:56:44 AM »

Do you know if you ever had a left ovary?

Losingtheplot

Re: No left Ovary!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 09:58:41 AM »

Do you know if you ever had a left ovary?

Hi Shelia99

Thank you for replying

I presume I did as I fell pregnant very quickly with my son 12 years ago when I came off the implant had no period and literally fell pregnant 2 weeks after.  I can't however confirm this just thought I would of had fertility issues if 1 ovary was missing.
When I have done some research it appears that post meno ovaries can shrink to as little as 0.5cm and can be difficult to find on a scan.

Some reasons for not finding them can be due to gas in the area or bloatedness which I was at time of scan and apparentlyI have read that ovaries do not completely disappear

It isn't a huge deal I guess as I don't want anymore children but just came as a bit of a shock at finding out some part of me was potentially missing
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 10:15:52 AM by Losingtheplot »