Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Conflicted ? Help ?  (Read 536 times)

Chistlehurst29

• First Flush
Conflicted ? Help ?
« on: April 12, 2023, 12:47:29 PM »

Hi everyone - hope you are all well ?

Feeling a bit conflicted about HRT ? Have scheduled another phone appt with GP next week to discuss - it isn’t our first discussion on this topic !!

I’m 51 still have regular heavy-ish periods controlled by tranexamic acid - I have noticed a few “symptoms” over the last few years occasional brain fog, sleep not as good as it has been, bit more emotional/angry at times, vagina feels a bit dry at times, joints a bit achey, motivation bit patchy at times - nothing is unbearable just changes I have noticed ! (No night sweats or hot flushes)

When I explained to GP last year she said I would say you are perimenopausal and she offered HRT oestrogel and utrogestan I hummed and hawed and didn’t bother - but am re-assessing this !

I’m sure you are wondering why I’m conflicted and I suppose it’s just that nothing feels unmanageable at present but at the same time I have done a lot of reading about the benefits HRT can bring and don’t know if I’m being influenced by that to trying it ! ?

I also feel anxious about bleeds if I opt for HRT ; already have a heavy-ish bleed monthly but it’s regular and I have adapted well to handling it - will I have a monthly period and also a utrogestan withdrawal bleed ?

To summarise Starting on HRT just seems overwhelming and I don’t know whether to make the leap or whether just to muddle along given the symptoms at present are not horrific - does anyone have any advice ? Thanks so much

Flossieteacake

Re: Conflicted ? Help ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 01:02:56 PM »

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. I can understand you being unsure about trying HRT. Just to say, you can stop it at any time if you do not like it so you need not feel any pressure.

With your vagina feeling dry, you would really benefit from localised oestrogen. Dryness is known as vaginal atrophy and I urge you to treat this as soon as possible because it gets worse. I really do not want to alarm you but just to help. There is nothing to worry about as once you take vaginal oestrogen you will feel much better.

If it were me, I would try HRT before the meno symptoms get worse. The good thing about HRT is it can also help to protect the bones. Some women do not find HRT makes them bleed and hopefully you will find that if you choose to take it.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 01:25:12 PM »

Hi there,I've never been on HRT and got through it,won't say it's been an easy ride at times,if you can manage without it then fine but if at anytime,things start to get too much then just go back to your Dr and ask for it  :)

Peana

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 07:03:33 PM »

I had tranexamic acid in my 40s, but when I raised HRT with my GP at 50, she suggested that I start with a mirena coil as that would address the heavy periods.  Since then I've had estrogen patches and also vaginal estrogen.  Going from heavy and irregular periods to just a bit of spotting (and no spotting at all now) has been brilliant.  Maybe research mirena and speak to your GP about that as an alternative.  I've had the copper coil in the past which I got on well with, but found insertion / removal very uncomformtable.  The nurse showed me the mirena coil and it's packaged differently making insertion easier, so it wasn't as uncomfortable, which was a relief. 

Good luck working things out - you'll get great advice here.