Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Really ill on estradiol gel  (Read 997 times)

Crow Lady

Really ill on estradiol gel
« on: April 10, 2023, 03:24:15 PM »

I'm almost a year in on my hrt but still struggling. Been on utrogestan tablets and estraderm patches. Patches increased from 75 to 100 but then knocked down to 50 because they seem to be causing regular bleeding ( doc is keeping an eye on that). Then just as they knocked the estraderm patches down to 50 I found out that estradiol gel was finally available in my area so I asked for that instead. Was started on 2 pumps a day and was ill within 48 hours. ( Last year I had 2 months on testegel and was very ill the whole time, doc realised I had rapidly absorbed it and ended up going from undetectable levels to double the healthy amount in 2 months. ) Felt exactly the same with estradiol gel, like I've been hit by a bus, heavy, exhausted, sickly. After a week I skipped a day because I felt lousy, and felt brilliant the day after, totally like my old self before menopause. Started back on 1 pump a day estradiol. It's only been a couple of days. I don't feel ill like I did on 2 pumps but I'm not great. I don't know what to do. It's almost a year and I'm so fed up of feeling like this. Hrt has worked in some respects. Brain fog is better, palpitations and anxiety gone. But I'm still so tired. I want to have a life ! Do I stick with 1 pump. Do I try 1 on a morning and one on a night ? Or go back to patches ? Sorry for the long post. Everyone else tells me how hrt gave them their life back and I want that too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Really ill on estradiol gel
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 03:33:01 PM »

Sometimes HRT isn't the 'cure' that ladies think they require.

Could you give yourself a complete break to see if any symptoms return that might be eased by a different regime?  Nowt is worth feeling ill for!

Crow Lady

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 04:06:28 PM »

I'm too scared, the palpitations and anxiety were horrendous.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 04:12:32 PM »

I would go back to patches and try to sort oot the bleeding. We're you definitely meno (1 year without a bleed) before you started hrt? Is it possible it's your own cycle and a sequi regime would be more appropriate? Has the bleeding been investigated? Anything that might be causing it? It is a known strategy to double utro to 200mg for problem bleeding but a mirena is the best, it sorts it out for most people.

Crow Lady

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:20:39 PM »

Hadn't had periods for a few years before starting hrt. The doc and gynae think the bleeding is due to the hrt, had some last year and got lots of testing / internal exam etc and they said everything was good. So they think it's still that but are monitoring it for another few weeks. I hadn't heard of a sequi regime, I just had to Google it lol. I honestly don't know what to do.

Moonshine54

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 04:33:04 PM »

I wanted to use the gel as its more convenient.  However i seemed to absorb and get a hormonal surge. I went back to the patches as they appear to work better for me. X

Pippa52

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 05:01:16 PM »

I was on Oestrogel for over 25 years but had to change when the shortages kicked in.  Went back on it when it was re-available and like you I just felt so ill.  I think something has changed about it and I have a few months ago swopped onto Estradot patches and am at long last beginning to get my mojo back.  I was opposite in that I did not absorb the Oestrogel at all and my blood levels went down to 53.  So strange as I was fine on it all those years but I for me personally something has changed about it as it made me feel absolutely dreadful.  I do hope you start to feel better soon x

Crow Lady

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »

I've decided to go back to estraderm patches for now. But I was wondering, as I was on 100s, would it be better to drop to 75s for a while before the 50s, or is it OK to drop straight down from the 100s to 50s?

Claire MM

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 01:22:45 AM »

Totally out there thought, don't know if you drink alcohol but both of those gels contain alcohol, just a thought however xx

Crow Lady

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 08:33:15 AM »

No I don't.

Crow Lady

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »

So I dropped down to the 50s a few days ago. Yesterday I started to feel a bit anxious. Today the palpitations and pressure on my chest are back. When I started the hrt a year ago it stopped all that. So I'm going to go up to 75s and see how I get on. It's horrible having the anxiety and palpitations back.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 01:00:16 PM »

That seems a sensible move. I hope it sorts it out for you.