Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Insomnia and poor sleep quality - HELP!!  (Read 517 times)

alison1210

• First Flush
Insomnia and poor sleep quality - HELP!!
« on: March 30, 2023, 08:55:06 AM »

Hi everyone  - I'm just hoping someone can help me to figure out how to get some sleep!! I'm 52, been on Femoston 1/10 for around 3 years and it's been a big help to me. But for the last 6 months or so my sleep has been terrible - I do get to sleep but it's such poor quality sleep that I wake up feeling shattered. Wake around 4 am most days and don't really get back to sleep.
Headaches too - I feel like there's adrenaline or something flooding my body at night! I never really had too many hot flushes but lately I am getting night sweats. 
So, I'm wondering if I should go up to the Femoston 2/10 maybe?

I'm doing a CBTi course for the insomnia which has helped me but I feel like the hormones are the underlying issue that needs balanced out somehow!
Getting a bit desperate!!

discogirl

Re: Insomnia and poor sleep quality - HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »

Hi alison1210

I too suffer with poor sleep; my poor sleep started in last feb, prior to that I slept really really well.

I'm 4 yrs post meno but for some reason my hormones fell off a cliff and one of my main symptoms was poor sleep.

From what I've learned from this fantastic website is that low estrogen can cause poor sleep.

I've never used Femoston so unfortunately I can't comment, but hopeful some more experienced ladies will be along to give better advice.

For me when I first started hrt last august, nothing really improved until I started increasing estrogen, however you need to do it slowly as you need to give your body time to adapt.

I've heard CBTi is good, I had some hypnotherapy for sleep anxiety issues, but any kind of guided hynosis, deep breathing things like that can help to calm adrenaline.  Its amazing how quickly you can develop a bad trigger between bed and lack of sleep.

I truly hope you get things sorted from my own experience insomnia is awful, but rest assured you're not alone as lots of ladies on this forum can testify.

Sometimes when you've been using one type of hrt for so long it can stop working, it maybe worth considering a different way of getting your estrogen, there are patches different types of gels etc. As you've been on femoston 1/10 for 3 years you may need a different way of getting your estrogen xxx

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 09:20:37 AM »

4am is the magic wide awake time!  It because your cortisol levels naturally raise at this time anyway so anything that is raising levels anyway will just add to that. I agree with guided meditations - I use Insight Timer which has a huge library of free sleep meditations plus other really useful ones for anxiety or hormones or indeed anything!

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 09:36:47 AM »

Hi alison1210, if you have time maybe have a look at the podcast on help for insomnia by Nutritionist Jackie Lynch I posted the other day (I'll bump the thread for you).  If you're like me you may already have been doing all she suggests, but if not there might just be something helpful in it for you.
Wx

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 12:56:37 PM »

I would try a higher dose of oestrogen. I had similar in that I could go to sleep but woke in the small hours and couldn't get back to sleep until the alarm went off. Cured by adding oestrogen.