Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vasomotor symptoms  (Read 1158 times)

Hotashell27

• First Flush
Vasomotor symptoms
« on: March 27, 2023, 03:41:58 PM »

Hi all
I am 49 . I have been on varying doses of hrt patch and uterogestan
For the last 6 years
My main symptom is vasomotor
I get really hot and I mean boiling hot
To call it a hot flash is a misnomer as my flash could last awhile
My temp on my face goes up to 39. 5 and my extremities are burning
Anything sets them off . A loud noise
Ambient increase in temp
A sip of alcohol
I recently got my bloods checked and my oestrodial Is 156 … so recently have started oral fematab 2 mg
Any thoughts ?? I NEVER sweat when I get like this

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vasomotor symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 04:14:54 PM »

:welcomemm: hopefully someone will be along with advice. 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 07:05:07 PM »

Hi Hotashell

:welcomemm:

Sounds like you do need a higher dose of oestrogen, I'm not familiar with fematab - I presume you're not here in UK?  I imagine it is estradiol so similar to our brands? Depending what dose of patch you were on and for how long, (6 years?) hopefully the tablets will improve things. Oestrogen usually works on vasomotor symptoms at the right dose.

Have you had blood tests to rule out other causes eg thyroid problems etc?

Hope it works for you :)

Hurdity x

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »

Hi Hotashell & welcome to the forum.

I get really hot and I mean boiling hot
To call it a hot flash is a misnomer as my flash could last awhile
My temp on my face goes up to 39. 5 and my extremities are burning
I sympathise as your description is pretty much how I've experienced hot flushes & night sweats throughout menopause, right from the beginning at age 44, to where I am now, long postmenopause in my 60s.  My overheating episodes have never passed in the few minutes the various menopause articles state they do & this has always been especially problematical at night, wrecking sleep.  Like you, I also never sweat & have been unable to do so under any conditions for many years.  Burning extremities, ditto.  I'm grateful that HRT has greatly improved the vasomotor symptoms, but it hasn't resolved them completely, however much oestrogen I take & whichever progestogen it's combined with.

I agree with Hurdity's sense that you may need more oestrogen & also her query over blood tests to rule out other causes.  Thyroid conditions can certainly be implicated, even an underactive thyroid, usually more associated with unnatural coldness, as sometimes hypothyroid patients lose the ability to sweat, which means we lack that natural cooling mechanism & can therefore suffer from prolonged overheating at menopause.

I hope your change of medication helps.
Wx

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »

I don't think hot flushes always follow the standard pattern. Mine never came on there own, only after an external heat source - hot drink, sitting by the fire etc. I didn't recognise them as flushes but they went when I started hrt, hopefully it will do the same for you.

Hotashell27

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 06:27:48 PM »

Thank you all for your replies ! Much appreciated
My thyroid function is normal
My Meno doc says I wasn’t absorbing the patches .. I was on 100 estrodot
Hoping the tablets help
I will let you know
Again thank you xx

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 08:10:34 PM »

I had a lot of vasomotor symptoms for about 5 years before my periods started becoming irregular.

Red face here and there, people would say I was blushing, but I wasn't embarassed about anything.  Just sitting down and having a rest and a cup of tea after being busy would set it off.  I told the doctor and he asked if I was holding the hot tea too close to my face  >:(  To be fair he was a lovely doctor but he didn't recognise this one. 

Another doctor, a cardiologist who I went to see privately due to my heart somersaults  :o he noticed the flushing and suggested some blood checks for rare conditions.  I was nervous.  Then another GP said no, it's just anxiety and those tests would make me more anxious (and scaredy cat sided with him and avoided them).

Then I came here, asked the ladies here about my heart symptoms and they said it is a peri menopause symptom.  I decided to talk to the GP about HRT.  A young pregnant doctor came out and I thought oh no, what would she know.  But I was in luck, she had trained with louise newson at some point and told me the flushing was peri menopause and put me on evorel sequi.

I am a LOT more stable on evorel sequi, plus that flushing just doesn't happen anymore.  I never got hot with it though, just my face, you could have made toast on my face.

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 08:55:18 AM »

Good to know your thyroid function has been checked.  If you only got 156 oestradiol from 100mcg Estradot that was pretty poor absorption & quite bad luck.  I was getting around 185 from 25mcg Estradot (no ovaries)!  Fingers crossed you'll do better on the tablets.
Wx
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:57:17 AM by Wrensong »

Hotashell27

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 08:32:01 AM »

An update
I have been on oral fematab   2mg for 10 days now and not one flush 😃
Not sure why I wasn’t absorbing the patches as they always stuck on really well
I am a bit on the cross side but I’m thinking that’s due to my levels being a bit all over place
And will hopefully settle too
Love to everyone 💜

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 09:20:14 AM »

That's great to hear about your horrible flushes stopping  :).  Fingers crossed the irritability will resolve as your body gets used to the change of HRT.  Thanks for updating us & good luck with it.
Wx