Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice please - hormone testing  (Read 787 times)

Tisiphone

• First Flush
Advice please - hormone testing
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:28:44 PM »

I've posted before about my poor experience with a GP at my practice refusing to refer me to gynaecology (as requested by my urologist) and telling me my issues were 'probably perimenopause. 

I was 46 at the time, now 47.  Between April-December last year I was put on 3 different kinds of HRT and went through hell with each of them.  It took over a month after I stopped taking them to get over the effects.

After stopping, things have gone back to normal.  My periods came back with a slightly shorter cycle and are a bit lighter.  I get the occasional night sweat, as I have done for 10 years.  I have lost a bit of the HRT belly.

My question is to do with hormone testing.  Obviously, menopause is on the way and at some point I will want to take HRT.  I was told by the GP that I was probably oversensitive to oestrogen (I couldn't take the Pill) but she didn't believe in hormone testing because she said it isn't very accurate. 

Is this true?  I'd like some investigation into why HRT had such an appalling effect on me and if I'll ever take it.  I suppose I also want to know how soon I should expect things to change.

Any suggestions or directions to good info sources will be gratefully received.  I suspect I'm going to have pay for tests if I want them

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice please - hormone testing
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 12:45:13 PM »

Hi!  why do you think that you will require HRT? 

Certainly hormone blood tests are reliably un-reliable.  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be of use.

Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads as this condition needs a different 'type' of treatment. 

When I went into peri my periods waxed and waned.  Regular for a few weeks, then would disappear for months  ::).  During 2002 I realised that they had gone.  Followed by a few months of itchy skin after my bath, as well as cold flushes at night.  VA is treated by 'ovestin'.

I wonder why your GP thought you are 'oversensitive' to oestrogen as progesterone is often the Devil in a regime.  Let us know how you get on.

Tisiphone

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 02:51:32 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

I think I may want to try HRT when I actually hit menopause. I don't think I'm yet perimenopausal and there's a history of late menopause in my maternal family.

Vaginal atrophy was the GP's first thought when I complained about bladder symptoms.  I had oestrogen pessaries and creams to try - it isn't that. I believe it's a Covid leftover - always have done and there are more and more reports of the same.

Periods are still like clockwork but my cycle is two days shorter since coming off HRT.

You're right, it was the progesterone the GP thought I was sensitive to....which brings me back to the question of how I can find out if I am and why. Hoping someone here will have some advice for me

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 03:03:44 PM »

The nhs won't test your levels in peri because your own hormones fluctuate so much day to day and even within a day. Most people start hrt because they have meno symptoms. Unfortunately it isn't possible to know which will suit you and which won't without trying it but as you know you're sensitive it would be best to start on a low dose. The gp is right when she says most problems are from progesterone not oestrogen but it's always possible you're sensitive to something else in the preparation too. Sorry, I know this isn't the answer you're looking for. It surprised me too just how much of a 'suck it and see' approach there is, I'd expected a more targeted approach.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »

Did the pessaries ease bladder symptoms? 

It mayB that you are into peri if your cycle is shorter.  Let us know how you get on.

Tisiphone

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 11:18:20 AM »

No, not at all and nor did the cream.  Given the bladder issues started suddenly with a fairly severe Covid infection I think it's the likeliest cause.