Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Odd question about vaginal estrogen  (Read 1904 times)

Bananacarnival

Odd question about vaginal estrogen
« on: March 15, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »

Can i use it up my rectum? As well as vaginally...?
Sorry for the absurdity of the question but I was wondering if we have estrogen receptors in our rectums. Since I've had covid a year ago, it seems my hrt stopped working effectively and my rectal pain returned with a vengeance. I'm actually wondering if it's atrophy there too.

Surely atrophy is not limited to vagina, bladder and urethra?
Thank you for any advice

Cara999

Re: Odd question about vaginal estrogen
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »

Hi 👋 I'm not sure if you can use it up your rectum but you can use it on the skin around to see if that helps. Sometimes I can get sore there but I don't get sore up inside.

I'm sure someone will reply with a better answer. I take it you've had the rectal pain investigated to rule out anything else xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 07:32:05 AM »

It is not a medication to use on the anus area.  My GP recommended 'anusol' when I had problems.  I find that 'savlon' works well or 'vaseline'.

Could you have piles?  What treatment were you prescribed for the rectal pain previously and did it help?

Covid has been reported as affecting female hormones. 

Bananacarnival

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 08:22:39 AM »

Hi thank you both. It feels like I still need to go, sometimes, and at other times it just feels sore higher in the rectum. Don't think it's haemorrhoids...

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 08:53:20 AM »

If you are using a cream like Ovestin then you could apply some around the area. I have done this when I am sore.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 10:03:47 AM »

Hi thank you both. It feels like I still need to go, sometimes, and at other times it just feels sore higher in the rectum. Don't think it's haemorrhoids...
Haemorrhoids can be high up internally or you could have a fissure thats painful. Anusol pessaries would be better for this.
I've used Ovestin externally on my bottom when sore but it just burned too much so had to wash it off. I tried anusol but that also burned. I just use pura babywipes now and apply a little Cetraben and its fine.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 10:05:54 AM »

This question has been asked before regarding Vagifem pessaries and if I can remember rightly, the answers were yes its ok to use rectally.
Might be worth doing a search here for the thread.

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 01:06:06 PM »

Definitely not to be used in the rectum as that way it does first pass through your liver

Bananacarnival

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 04:29:40 PM »

Thank you everyone these are really helpful. Dierdre thank you so much for telling me this as I thought haemorrhoids were only at the anus