Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Experiences with Mirena coil?  (Read 1090 times)

Claire MM

Experiences with Mirena coil?
« on: March 12, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »

Sorry to bother people once more! I just have a more specific question for anyone who has/ has had a Mirena,

The Mirena been suggested to me due to problems with tolerating progesterone and bleeding, can I ask people's experiences with Mirena and reacting to Progesterone? And specifically if it seems to have any impact on Vaginal atrophy/urinary problems? Also physical fatigue and emotional wellbeing?

Any thoughts positive or negative greatly appreciated,

Thanks so much,

Claire x

SarahT

Re: Experiences with Mirena coil?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 07:42:52 PM »

Hi Claire,

I wasn't getting on with oral utrogestan,  it was too unsettling for my hormonal mood swings.  So last October I had the mirena coil fitted.

I was nervous, there have been some pretty scary reports of the fitting, but I have to say, for me, it was ok. Painful, but not excruciating. The nurses who fitted mine were amazing, showed me an example of the coil itself beforehand, that was helpful to see the size, and indeed what  one actually looked like! They explained how it was inserted etc. Very reassuring. Gave me time to ask anything. It was quick, and I yes I was in a bit of pain or discomfort for a few hours after. Pain killers before help. If you go that way, don't be afraid to ask questions. It is your body Claire.

It took a few months for the bleed\ spotting to settle, though I had a bit of a breakthrough bleed this weekend.

I use ovestin most nights and sylk frequently for VA. Personally I see no change for me there.

I still suffer with tirdeness, and anxiety. However I am about to up My patch dose from 50 to 75 to see if that helps me.

My mood swings have evened a lot on the coil, far better than using utrogestan.

I have no regrets about going into the Mirena coil for my Part of the progesterone of hrt. I hated tablets, they just worked against the way my own cycles behave.
I am still Peri by the way.

I hope others can give their own opinions and experiences, as everyone is different.  All I can say is it was a good decision for me.

Take care

Claire MM

Re: Experiences with Mirena coil?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 08:04:07 PM »

Thanks Sarah, That is really helpful, yes I really understand that idea of utrogestan working against your own cycle in the background. I hope upping your patch helps, the good thing is that you have your womb protected when upping estrogen so hopefully you can feel the benefits of that. I do hope it helps with anxiety and tiredness. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and I'm glad the nurse was supportive. Yes I'm peri too, it's a rollercoaster so would really love some kind of levelling out/stability. And it sounds like it's not going to worsen any VA type symptoms, I think using progesterone as a pessary has been causing some issues with that and I didn't know how far from the womb the mirena would affect in that way. Appreciate you sharing your experience with me and it does give me some reassurance when approaching the possibility of the Mirena x