Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil, progesterone and progestin  (Read 551 times)

sarahy

Mirena coil, progesterone and progestin
« on: March 12, 2023, 05:26:18 PM »

Progesterone
Progestogen
Reduced risk of breast cancer compared to progestin   Increased risk of breast cancer (in conjunction with oestrogen)
Relief from PMS symptoms   Low mood or mood swings, Irritability
Reduced anxiety   Decreased energy
Improved sleep   Headaches
Reduced fluid retention   Fluid retention
Lowers blood pressure   Breast tenderness, bloating
Improves Good cholesterol   Increases bad cholesterol

Hello, I am confused ( again!) hopefully above attachment comes through, it’s from a menopause online clinic. (It’s not come through as far as I can tell very well, but all bad are progestin and all good progesterone) If not it has all the advantages of progesterone and all the disadvantages of progestin. I’ve been advised to have a Mirena coil, but am loathe to as my main symptom is chronic anxiety so id rather have something I can easily change and that doesn’t seem to have a potential side effect of anxiety. I’m also worried by the progestin for all the reasons in the above table. I have a constant bleed and am post menopausal, another reason they want me on it, but no reason found on several investigations. I do have a fibroid and vaginal atrophy.. lucky me!
I wondered what anyone felt about the progestin in the coil? Id far rather have body identical progesterone.
And also probably a daft question, but if you’re on oestrogen and progesterone, and having side effects of menopause, how can you know the thing making you feel awful is the progesterone?
Many thanks for reading, and Thankyou for being able to simply ask questions . X
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:02:50 PM by sarahy »