Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal blood tests  (Read 1917 times)

AKatieD

Post menopausal blood tests
« on: March 07, 2023, 10:34:11 AM »

Hi

Advice please on procedure for blood tests.

Consultant's nurse has advised just to take meds as normal before testing for HRT and thyroid.

I know the thyroid advice is incorrect as we never take meds before testing as otherwise you are measuring an unknown point on the upswing in levels as your meds are absorbed.

Is it the same for Oestrogel? Don't take on the day until after the test?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:20:24 AM by AKatieD »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menopausal blood tests
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 10:41:07 AM »

Morning.  Can't help sorry, hopefully someone will be along.  Who over-sees your thyroid function medication?  Or ask a pharmacist?

AKatieD

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »

I do it myself - along with a number of thyroid patients in the uk. We can't get suitable help from gps so tend to do our own testing and obtain our own meds from abroad.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 11:19:47 AM »

From Dr Google...
Some common recommendations for blood testing:

Some thyroid medications, such as levothyroxine, should be taken at least 4 hours before the blood test to avoid affecting the results.

Oestrogel: It is best to follow the advice of your healthcare provider regarding when to take the medication before the blood test. Some healthcare providers may advise you to take the medication as usual before the test, while others may advise you to skip the dose before the test.

If you have any questions or concerns, you should discuss them with a healthcare provider.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 11:56:27 AM »

Is that NHS Google ............  :-\

AKatieD

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 01:02:08 PM »

Thanks, Emma, unfortunately that advice relies on well informed health professionals.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 05:24:52 PM »

Hello ladies.

A few years ago I was having my oestrogen tested through Newson Health which is a private menopause clinic. At the time I was using two pumps of Oestrogel at bedtime and two more pumps the following morning. I was also using Utrogestan and testosterone. For the blood test I was told to refrain from all HRT for 24 hours which meant that  I missed two doses of gel.
 I can't recall how I felt at the time and although I think my Oestrogen levels were in a good range I still had plenty of symptoms. The clinic were keen for me to add more Oestrogel but subsequent bleeding made me want to reduce the dose rather than increase it.

I agree that it is important to speak to medical professionals but it is necessary to have confidence in the advice given.

Wishing you well ladies and take care.

K.