Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Chronic anxiety  (Read 1230 times)

sarahy

Chronic anxiety
« on: March 04, 2023, 04:52:23 PM »

Hello,
This is my first post and I have very bad brain fog as well as chronic anxiety, so please excuse me if I’m doing everything wrong!
I wondered if anyone could help. I am on Hrt but a blood test has shown very low hormone levels. The main symptom is anxiety ( 3 years).  I am waiting for a Mirena coil so that I can up my Oestrogen safely. I already have upped my Everol conti patches by 50% since last December, but the anxiety seems if anything worse. I find so much conflicting information that I’m completely confused. There’s a very long wait, months more till this is fitted but I have heard very negative things about the Levonorgestrel and would rather have a body identical progesterone to protect the womb.
Also this might be better IF the anxiety is caused by progesterone intolerance. I have all the symptoms but of course that doesn’t mean you have it!
So really I have a lot of information but no idea what’s correct and what isn’t.
Any advice would be very gratefully received. Or anywhere for really reliable information or help.
Thankyou, and all the best, Sarah

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Chronic anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 05:30:51 PM »

:welcomemm:  when did the anxiety begin to affect your day2day living?

Some require appropriate medication as well as HRT to ease symptoms.  A few anti-depressant medications are supposed to help with anxiety.

Eating little and often can help. Keeping hydrated and getting as much sunshine as possible to lift mood.  Not easy with snow 4cast!

Who will be fitting the coil?  MayB put the product name : Evorol : into the search box to read the threads to see how others have coped.

Let us know how you get on.

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 05:36:35 PM »

Hello sarahy,  :welcomemm:  I'm sorry to know you are feeling worse for increasing your Evorel Conti.  You're right, there is so much information out there that it can be very confusing, especially for anyone fairly new to HRT, but you have come to the right place for support & advice as there are many kind women here with lots of experience who will be happy to help.

Whether you started on a half patch of Evorel Conti & increased to a full patch, or you've gone to a higher dose by adding a part patch to a whole, if you've tried the new dose for around 3 months & feel worse for it, you are probably right to assume that product doesn't suit you too well & as you say it could be the progestogen that's the culprit.  If bloods have shown your oestradiol to be low on this patch though, that will not be helping the way you feel & with more oestrogen in your system from a product you absorb better, you may find you tolerate the progestogen component of HRT more easily.

I completely understand your feelings about Mirena & being progesterone intolerant I've more than once declined to have a progestogen releasing device fitted that I can't control myself.  However, if you wanted to try Levonorgestrel for suitability in a form you can control yourself before the Mirena is fitted, FemSeven Conti is an equivalent combined continuous patch (to EC) in terms of oestrogen dose (50mcg) that contains this progestogen.   You may find you are fine with a different progestogen & also that you get better absorption from FemSeven than EC.

But if you would rather move straight to body identical progesterone, Utrogestan capsules (taken orally, or off license vaginally) can be combined with any form of oestradiol.  So you could ask to try those with an oestradiol patch, gel or spray to keep your oestrogen replacement transdermal.  That would also give you the flexibility to increase your oestrogen dose if need be.  Many women get on well with Utrogestan & find its sedative properties helpful for sleep.  I should perhaps mention that it doesn't suit everyone (me included), but if you are already feeling unwell on your current HRT you have little to lose by trying it.

I hope that helps, but hopefully others will be along to welcome you too & offer their thoughts on your situation.  Please don't be afraid to post anything at any time - nothing is too trivial, nothing taboo & there is always someone around who'll want to help if they can.
Wx
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 06:10:24 PM by Wrensong »

sarahy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 06:22:43 PM »

:welcomemm:  when did the anxiety begin to affect your day2day living?

Some require appropriate medication as well as HRT to ease symptoms.  A few anti-depressant medications are supposed to help with anxiety.

Eating little and often can help. Keeping hydrated and getting as much sunshine as possible to lift mood.  Not easy with snow 4cast!

Who will be fitting the coil?  MayB put the product name : Evorol : into the search box to read the threads to see how others have coped.

Let us know how you get on.

I’m not sure whether this is how I reply, but Thankyou so much for your reply!
I’ve been incredibly anxious for 3 years, though feel it’s got worse.
I’m not sure, at the hospital , but the wait is 12 weeks. So am thinking of trying to just do something else like the Utrogestan instead.
I will try that , Thankyou x

sarahy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 06:26:33 PM »

Hello sarahy,  :welcomemm:  I'm sorry to know you are feeling worse for increasing your Evorel Conti.  You're right, there is so much information out there that it can be very confusing, especially for anyone fairly new to HRT, but you have come to the right place for support & advice as there are many kind women here with lots of experience who will be happy to help.

Whether you started on a half patch of Evorel Conti & increased to a full patch, or you've gone to a higher dose by adding a part patch to a whole, if you've tried the new dose for around 3 months & feel worse for it, you are probably right to assume that product doesn't suit you too well & as you say it could be the progestogen that's the culprit.  If bloods have shown your oestradiol to be low on this patch though, that will not be helping the way you feel & with more oestrogen in your system from a product you absorb better, you may find you tolerate the progestogen component of HRT more easily.

I completely understand your feelings about Mirena & being progesterone intolerant I've more than once declined to have a progestogen releasing device fitted that I can't control myself.  However, if you wanted to try Levonorgestrel for suitability in a form you can control yourself before the Mirena is fitted, FemSeven Conti is an equivalent combined continuous patch (to EC) in terms of oestrogen dose (50mcg) that contains this progestogen.   You may find you are fine with a different progestogen & also that you get better absorption from FemSeven than EC.

But if you would rather move straight to body identical progesterone, Utrogestan capsules (taken orally, or off license vaginally) can be combined with any form of oestradiol.  So you could ask to try those with an oestradiol patch, gel or spray to keep your oestrogen replacement transdermal.  That would also give you the flexibility to increase your oestrogen dose if need be.  Many women get on well with Utrogestan & find its sedative properties helpful for sleep.  I should perhaps mention that it doesn't suit everyone (me included), but if you are already feeling unwell on your current HRT you have little to lose by trying it.

I hope that helps, but hopefully others will be along to welcome you too & offer their thoughts on your situation.  Please don't be afraid to post anything at any time - nothing is too trivial, nothing taboo & there is always someone around who'll want to help if they can.
Wx
hello, Thankyou so much for your reply and lovely welcome, I hope this is the right way to reply!
I think I will definitely try the Utrogestan route. Thankyou so much for all the information, x

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 06:54:25 PM »

Hi sarahy, no prob  :) 

I hope you find Utrogestan suits you well & that you will be able to get your oestrogen levels up combining it with a standalone oestradiol product.  There have recently been supply issues with Utrogestan, but I believe that's now supposed to be easing, so hopefully you'll be able to get hold of some easily.

I should have said that if you had chosen to try FemSeven Conti as a means of assessing how you are with Levonorgesterel before committing to a Mirena, an adverse response to this combi patch wouldn't necessarily be a sure indication that the IUD wouldn't suit you, as you'll probably already know that systemic absorption (of Levonorgestrel) from Mirena is said to be minimal compared with that from other methods of progestogen delivery, so side effects likewise.

Anyway, good luck with your next step & please let us know how you get on if you have time.
Wx
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 06:59:40 PM by Wrensong »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 07:02:24 PM »

Replying is OK.  Add on what you want to say to the threads that you are interested in. You'll get the hang eventually!