Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: VA symptoms creeping back after about 3-4 years  (Read 1587 times)

Katejo

VA symptoms creeping back after about 3-4 years
« on: March 01, 2023, 07:33:20 PM »

Hi All

My VA treatment has been pretty successful for about 3-4 years and I have been much less stressed about apparent UTI like symptoms. I am now a few days short of 60 and, since Christmas, I have noticed 2 things.
1. I need more Vagifem per week, perhaps 4 or 5 rather than 2 or 3 (together with the Evorel  Conti) 2. If I make the mistake of removing 1 Evorel patch and forgetting to add the 2nd for up to 24 hours, I do get light bleeding for several days and significant cramping sensations, more than I would expect with very light bleeding. This has happened 3 times so now I have made a mental note to take special care with adding the new patch.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder whether I do need more oestrogen? Evorel Conti only comes as a 50 and I have wondered whether to add an extra half patch.
My GP practice is very poor on HRT and has gone downhill generally since Covid. Very difficult to see anyone there at all.  I previously saw a menopause consultant at the Whittington but I am not sure whether I am still on their books or not. I would have to ask. I am not sure whether it would be worth paying for a private appointment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA symptoms creeping back after about 3-4 years
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:43:54 PM »

Do a reload.  VA treatment nightly for 2-3 weeks.  Along with pain relief ; I swallow 2 Nurofen 3 times a day when I get the nip at the end of a pee as the spincter shuts off the flow.

U could ring the 'Whittington' and ask the question.  It mayB that they offer a 1-off appt or keep patients on their list for a few years.

Could you put 'evorel conti' in the search box to read any appropriate threads?   Make notes ;-)

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 08:06:32 PM »

It could be just a case of you getting older and the need to up the topical HRT treatment.
If that is what most concerns you at this stage, increase the treatment to every day and see if things get better before seeking private healthcare and all the costs that it incurs.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 08:13:54 PM »

I think Ayesha is spot on and it could be just a case of you needing to use Vagifem daily. Even things like stress or being poorly can cause VA to flare. Hopefully if you use it daily again your VA will be back to how things were before.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 08:33:45 PM »

I think Ayesha is spot on and it could be just a case of you needing to use Vagifem daily. Even things like stress or being poorly can cause VA to flare. Hopefully if you use it daily again your VA will be back to how things were before.
  Yes stress and other health issues make it worse. I have had a cold  virus of some kind (not Covid) for the past week.  Then I was quite stressed/frustrated last night and the symptoms flared up. Better today. Also due to go on my first group holiday post Covid next week and I am a bit nervous. Will be in Iceland for my big birthday 🙂

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 08:39:15 PM »

Yes stress and other health issues make it worse. I have had a cold  virus of some kind (not Covid) for the past week.  Then I was quite stressed/frustrated last night and the symptoms flared up. Better today. Also due to go on my first group holiday post Covid next week and I am a bit nervous. Will be in Iceland for my big birthday 🙂

I can understand you feeling nervous as it is something you have not done for a while. I bet you have a wonderful time once you get there. You are very brave to go despite feeling nervous.

I hope you have got over the bug. There seems to be something going round and I notice feeling ill can make VA flare which makes being ill even worse.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 10:21:27 PM »

The others have given sensible advice about increasing the Vagifem. I wouldn't dream of using less than five a week (which would have been the old weekly maintenance dose of 50mcg when Vagifem was stronger). I'm sure you realise that stress can make VA feel worse, and perhaps you are holding some tension in your pelvic floor as well, which doesn't help.
Have a lovely time in Iceland for your big birthday!
JP x

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 10:27:40 PM »

The others have given sensible advice about increasing the Vagifem. I wouldn't dream of using less than five a week (which would have been the old weekly maintenance dose of 50mcg when Vagifem was stronger). I'm sure you realise that stress can make VA feel worse, and perhaps you are holding some tension in your pelvic floor as well, which doesn't help.
Have a lovely time in Iceland for your big birthday!
JP x
Thanks. I just hope the GP will supply my repeat prescription before I go away. I have requested it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 07:41:13 AM »

There isn't any reason why the GP shouldn't prescribe.  How about buying some VA treatment from Boots, over the counter - product name begins with a "G" - to tidy you over.

Have a great time:  :cheer:  I'm sure that once you get home you will be able to relax and ponder on what you 'did on your holiday'  :cupcake:

Stay away from the fishy dishes especially anything related to shark  ;)