Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spotting  (Read 2804 times)

mk94

Spotting
« on: February 27, 2023, 11:17:09 PM »

I'm 57 and still in perimenopause. My last period was in early December. My periods for the last few years has been so crazy. It went from normal to crazy heavy ones with massive clots to having periods every 3 or 4 months apart. Now I'm spotting on and off. I am NOT on any HRTs.  Is this normal??

mk94

Re: Spotting
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 07:13:02 PM »

No one can relate  :'(  So I assume this is not normal for perimenopause :(  worried now

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 07:17:37 PM »

Yep.  Peri-menopause are the years that we notice oddities and changes in our menstrual cycle.  4 me I had regular periods followed by breaks of several months B4 starting again.  My periods had been heavy, painful and 10 days long so it was a relief for me to have lighter bleeds.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 07:17:43 PM »

Sorry you did not get a reply to your post. It must have got missed. In peri, periods can be very erratic. You last had a period in December so you spotting now could be a lighter period. It can be very confusing when periods are like this but in peri this is common.

mk94

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 08:07:57 PM »

I just googled  :o Now I'm heading into a spiral of panic  :'(

Dr Google says

If your vaginal discharge is red or brown
A red or brown color is usually a sign of blood in your discharge, and it can even range all the way to an almost-black hue. And though that might sound scary, it’s not necessarily a problem.

Red or brown discharge is often due to spotting (bleeding between your periods), which isn’t uncommon or necessarily problematic. But it can also have underlying causes like:

Cervicitis (a cervical infection).
Cervical cancer.
Cervical polyps.
Endometrial cancer.
Trichomoniasis.
Vaginal atrophy.

All I see is CANCER! v :o   I stopped doing smears after my last baby at 40 So this very well can be cancer. OMG what have I done.  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 08:20:16 PM »

Hello mk94.

I am sorry that you are having this trouble but please try not to worry.

My last period was at age 54 and I  became officially post meno at 55 so very similar to you in age. After what turned out to be my last period I had nothing for five months and then the spotting began. I assumed this would be another period but it never developed.

Your experience is not unusual and I am sure other ladies will be along with their stories to reassure you.

Wishing you well and take.

K.

PS  I  am 66 now and still fiddling with HRT but after some unexplained bleeding last year I was examined and everything was found to be normal.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 09:12:03 PM »

Googling any health symptoms on google always seems to point to cancer. I know it is hard but please do not google as it is not going to give you an accurate result. If you are concerned then you could make an appointment with your GP but just bare in mind, peri causes spotting and erratic periods.

Do you have vaginal dryness or soreness? You may also have vaginal atrophy which is nothing to worry about and can be treated with localised oestrogen. Most members on here seem to have vaginal atrophy and it really is no need for concern.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 09:24:07 PM »

You're worried about so I would see you gp. When I had pre-cancerous cells the spotting was bright red. Is yours bright red or more brown? I've gone through a phase when I had spotting for a few days before a bleed but it was older blood. And as above, VA can cause it too. More likely not to be cancer but perhaps best to get it checked out.

mk94

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 01:01:40 AM »

My spotting is mostly brown but I have had red as well sometimes. 
The spotting is so weird. I'll be fine for a few days to a week and then it's back for a few days.  It's just so random. My biggest fear is that I haven't had a pap smear since my last child 18 years ago. Now I'm worried I may have cervical cancer.  But Before that, I always kept up with all my smears and never had any problems. I have since developed extreme health anxiety and going to the doctor is so terrifying for me.

Thank you ladies for all your helpful comments

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 07:50:24 AM »

I can understand fearing going to the Drs. I know in peri spotting is common but I feel you may not be reassured unless you get a smear done. Is there anything that could help make it better? Telling Dr beforehand you are nervous, taking somebody with you for support perhaps?

VanillaLover

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 11:14:30 AM »

Hello,

I’m in a similar situation …. Went to Drs about last two periods lasting 10 days (though they are getting much lighter and less painful thank goodness) ….he wasn’t very bothered … when I said I had mid cycle spotting his face totally changed and he wanted it checked out. I’ve had ovulation spotting occasionally (even before peri stuff kicked off)  and I’m getting it around that time of month more and more now. Also a bit before/after period.

He’s arranged for me to see female dr at the practise to examine cervix and see about fibroids etc. (not sure why he wouldnt have a look there and then but …hey)

So two weeks later have appointment Monday for that and totally crapping myself. Convinced I have cancer etc. My smears are up to date but  due later this year.

I feel an idiot too as he made me feel I should have known to get any spotting checked out. Having looked back it’s really only ramped up last 2/3 months though so hopefully not long. I was waiting to see if it resolved itself.

So all this is just to say YES I do relate totally. Have you made appt to see Dr? It’s awful I know but the sooner you get seen the sooner your mind and be put at rest.

FWIW your spotting sounds totally normal for peri and given your period history. But you won’t get peace of mind without being seen.

Hugs

Vanilla

VanillaLover

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 11:27:24 AM »

BTW I get major anxiety at the drs too. Even over something like asking for some more eczema cream! I sit there in the waiting room heart racing and sweating like mad. Once I get in I’m not too bad. I’ve always been like this….not sure why. But you can do it!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 01:38:41 PM »

Making a list of symptoms to discuss with a Nurse Practitioner might be quicker to get some sensible advice.  Keep OOF google unless looking at NHS sites.  Anything else is often 'made up' with no basis in truth at all.  Or ask questions here, nowt is taboo or OTT!  Most of us have been there or have experiences about worries.

Any unexplained bleeding should be investigated.  But brown discharge is probably due to not enough hormone pushing the lining from the womb in 'one go', as oestrogen drops off this is often 'within normal limits'.  It would happen to me after every period: very heavy red blood with intense pain followed by 36 hours without a show, then 2 days of brown discharge.  Normal for me throughout my later menstruating years.

Let us know how you get on. 

mk94

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »

Thank you ladies for all your helpful replies

I am in a very bad spiral right now.  This spotting is scaring me to death. I can't stop crying. At this point, it's already too late for me. I have not had any check up's in years. This spotting is for sure coming from my cervix and I have advanced cervical cancer already and I'm dying. Been spotting brown discharge for on and off for weeks now or maybe longer IDK  :'( :o. I guess its my fault for not going to the doctor. I guess I deserve it. 

Did anyone else have brown sometimes red discharge heading into menopause that turned out to be nothing??

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 02:07:10 PM »

Thank you ladies for all your helpful replies

I am in a very bad spiral right now.  This spotting is scaring me to death. I can't stop crying. At this point, it's already too late for me. I have not had any check up's in years. This spotting is for sure coming from my cervix and I have advanced cervical cancer already and I'm dying. Been spotting brown discharge for on and off for weeks now or maybe longer IDK  :'( :o. I guess its my fault for not going to the doctor. I guess I deserve it. 

Did anyone else have brown sometimes red discharge heading into menopause that turned out to be nothing??

mk94, please stop beating yourself up. You did not have a smear due to anxiety. You cannot help being anxious and none of this is your fault. It is highly likely your spotting is due to peri but is it possible to arrange somebody to go with you to get a smear just to put your mind at rest?

Please stop googling symptoms. If you wish to do a search then you can use the search bar on this forum to put in spotting and have a read of members threads about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3