Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Testosterone question  (Read 502 times)

floraljo

Testosterone question
« on: February 19, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »

Hi,
Is there a time of month and day that testosterone blood tests should be taken?
And does anyone know which tests they need to do for it? FAI, SHBG or free testosterone? How often do you have monitoring for it?

My blood test for FAI was borderline low and SHBG was very high, testosterone was low end of normal. When repeated, the results had improved but when repeated again they were worse. Gp was a bit confused by the variation as she said time of month doesn't matter. She said testosterone replacement is an option but I want to check first that it's definitely low (although I'm tired all the time so I suspect it is. Thyroid levels are normal). Thanks

Zoe

Re: Testosterone question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 02:11:39 PM »

Hi floraljo,

Technically, testosterone is slightly higher round about ovulation if you are premenopausal or very early perimenopausal. However the levels don't fluctuate usually by very much - unlike oestrogen.

I do any hormone tests first thing in the morning. When I started on Androfeme I had a test after 6 weeks and then 6 months. Now I need one once a year and otherwise just keep an eye on symptoms.

I use Medichecks and they measure albumin, SHBG, estradiol, total testosterone and free testosterone. You still need to do the calculation for FAI (Total Testosterone รท SHBG - both in same units - x 100).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:31:27 PM by Zoe »

floraljo

Re: Testosterone question
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 04:38:35 PM »

Thank you for that info x