Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utrogestan and breathing problems  (Read 1619 times)

Katherine

Utrogestan and breathing problems
« on: February 15, 2023, 04:33:35 PM »

Hi ladies, I posted in October about having breathing difficulties at night due to utrogestan and it’s recently happened again. I have been tracking my symptoms, period, my utrogestan breaks, etc in a diary to try and sort it out.

On the whole I like utrogestan as it helps me sleep better and feel more relaxed. I’ve found that this breathing issue happens when my oestrogen levels are low or falling. I have had to take a break from utrogestan and after 2 days I am breathing deeply again and feel better.

I don’t think I can take utrogestan for 25 days a month anymore, but am concerned about my womb lining if I take utrogestan less. Do any of you ladies take utrogestan for less than 25 days and if so do you know if your womb lining is still ok? Is it possible to get womb scans on the nhs to check?

I am going to first try taking more oestrogen at the times I feel I’m at risk from the breathing issues (I can tell because it’s when I get the anaesthetised feeling with shallow breathing, like my chest is a bit paralysed!) and see if that works. I would appreciate any help or advice.

It’s probably worth mentioning I have regular periods but am in peri menopause so I still have some natural progesterone. The breathing problems have happened when I’ve had both low and high natural progesterone so I think it’s more linked with oestrogen. When my oestrogen is high I have no problems with utrogestan.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:03:10 PM by Katherine »

discogirl

Re: Utrogestan and breathing problems
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 05:52:05 PM »

hi katherine

i dont have an answer but i really hope you get sorted as you've been so lovely with my problems.

im still taking the utrogestan i'll give you an update after about a week xxx

Katherine

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 06:09:14 PM »

Thanks discogirl and don't worry that you'll have the same problem because I'm sure many women take it with no issues or not that issue. I was looking into the Mirena coil as I've heard so many glowing reviews from people I know yet many women have problems with it. It seems as though everyone has their own unique reaction to things. I could never take the pill or mini pill as I felt ill on them yet many people seem to have no problems. I wish I knew what it is that makes some people so sensitive to allergens and meds.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »

Thanks discogirl and don't worry that you'll have the same problem because I'm sure many women take it with no issues or not that issue. I was looking into the Mirena coil as I've heard so many glowing reviews from people I know yet many women have problems with it. It seems as though everyone has their own unique reaction to things. I could never take the pill or mini pill as I felt ill on them yet many people seem to have no problems. I wish I knew what it is that makes some people so sensitive to allergens and meds.

hi katherine

aw im not dont worry. we're all different.

i was wondering if you could use a combined patch xxx

Jillyboo

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 06:21:13 PM »

Hi - I don't think 25 days a month is very common. Most women seem to take it daily or for 12 days per month (after which you'd expect to have a bleed). Might you be allergic to one of the ingredients in the capsule? It sounds horrible.

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 06:35:45 PM »

Hi Jillyboo,

Thanks so much for replying. I was initially taking it daily 100mg but when I told my gp about the issues she suggested taking it for 25 days a month and have a break. I think women who take it for 12 days take 200mg. I would never dare to take 200mg. Thanks for your input though, the more info the better.

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 06:46:57 PM »

hi katherine

sorry to jump in again but have you tried taking it vaginally.

sorry if youve told me my memory is shocking xxx

Katherine

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 06:53:53 PM »

Don't worry discogirl I'm the same. I haven't tried taking it vaginally as I worry that it won't protect my womb as effectively as it does by taking it orally. I know very little about that method to be honest, I need to look into it. Did your GP recommend it?

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 07:04:38 PM »

Don't worry discogirl I'm the same. I haven't tried taking it vaginally as I worry that it won't protect my womb as effectively as it does by taking it orally. I know very little about that method to be honest, I need to look into it. Did your GP recommend it?

when i asked my gp if i could use it vaginally he said he didnt know but he'd find out.

he did get back to me and said it was off licence for use that way in the UK  but he said  he didnt have a problem for me to use it that way. that was last august. i believe its licenced that way in europe.

ive only used it vaginally  as you know until recently and a couple of weeks ago i had my womb lining checked and it was fine xxx

Katherine

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 07:18:03 PM »

That's good to know discogirl. Can anyone on HRT get their womb lining checked on the NHS do you know or do you have to go private? xxx

discogirl

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 07:39:35 PM »

hi katherine

i got mine done on the nhs my gp booked it for me.

i had had a small bleed but my gp would have arranged one anyway if i was worried about anything xx

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 07:42:19 PM »

I take 100mg for 12 days every other month been doing it like this for years. I use 1 pump of gel.

Katherine

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 07:56:28 PM »

Hi Cassie, thanks so much for replying. I use 2 pumps of gel. Have you ever had your womb lining checked? Also did your gp recommend this way of taking it?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 10:27:53 PM by Katherine »

Katherine

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 07:57:55 PM »

Hi discogirl, it sounds like your gp is really good. That's good to know. xxx

discogirl

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 08:38:28 PM »

Hi discogirl, it sounds like your gp is really good. That's good to know. xxx

im very fortunate katherine he really is lovely xxx
Pages: [1] 2