Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Effectiveness of patch once cut  (Read 710 times)

Vicky81

Effectiveness of patch once cut
« on: February 13, 2023, 05:59:32 PM »

Hi ladies I hope you're all well? X

Just a question- so I was on 50mg everol patch, then decided to slowly increase over time.

I cut a patch to make 62.5mg, now I cut a 75mg patch into 5 strips to make 15mg that I add to my 50mg patch - all together is 65mg.

I just wondered about this cutting business? Do these strips of patch make them less effective? Or is it fine to do this?

Xxx

Vicky81

Re: Effectiveness of patch once cut
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 06:00:47 PM »

Just to add- I tried 75mg but I got yhe jitters and weird heavy head/spacey feeling!

Nas

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »

All sounds very fiddly to me, these patch strips? Not sure I would be doing that, although some do cut up patches, to allow for slow increases.

Clarella

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 06:55:06 AM »

Ask for 25s so you can cut in half to increase by 12.5 for a while.

Vicky81

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »

Thanks Nas and Clarella for replying! x

Yeah i could ask for the 25's! So it does still work then - when cut up? I was thinking it may sort of "evaporate" if thats the right word??? I am no expert at all! Just wanted peoples thoughts/experiences xxx

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »

Hi Vicky81

I used to use patches, now on gel, but I used to cut mine to try and increase dosage slowly.

You can cut the patches without any problem as many ladies on here do so without any problem at all xx

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 08:46:21 AM »

Hello Vicky 81

When I was using patches my GP told me that it was okay to cut them up because they had a matrix design. I assume this means that the Oestrogen/progesterone are equally distributed across the patch so that cutting them into small pieces maintains the correct ratio of hormones. At one time I cut corners off of my patch to reduce my dose.

I hope this helps in some way and take care.

K.

Clarella

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 09:13:57 AM »

Yes I find it works but would be concerned that the edges may not  stock well on an increasingly thin strip, especially estradot which are much smaller.

You can get 37.5 patches which is effectively 25 + 12.5. I found I struggled to go from 50 to 75 so used half a 25 for a while and did the same when moving to 100.

Not seemed to have had the same issue going from 100 to 125 which Gp has just okayed (I think that’s the max she’d go as is outside the guidelines but she was happy to do so.)

Pippa52

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 12:50:25 PM »

Hi - I am on 62 having been working my way up slowly as too big an increase always hit me.  I use a 37.5 and a 25 patch (Estradot) which makes it up to 62 and no need to have the fiddle of cutting the patches.  I don't know if other patches come in the 37.5 strength though.  Hope so much what you are doing works for you though.  xxx

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 02:08:17 PM »

Cutting them is fine but cutting into 5 strips means you have a lot of edge which is more likely to lift. Asking for a lower strength patch to cut seems to be a good option.