News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 751 times)

TheresaP1701

• First Flush
Anxiety
« on: February 08, 2023, 10:15:52 AM »

I am currently going through the menopause and have real bad anxiety. This has been going on for just over a year, where I keep thinking that I have something wrong with me.  I went to the doctors about something the day before yesterday and was told it was nothing to worry about, but now I’m almost disbelieving what she said. Does anyone else experience this at all?

VanillaLover

Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:31:16 AM »

Yes absolutely.

Have you seen a doctor about this at all?

I have suffered with anxiety of various types all my life (just how my brain is wired I think) and what has helped for me are antidepressants and CBT to manage it. It definitely flares sometimes with hormone fluctuations.

I am also on HRT, which has helped a bit too.

Do you have any other menopause symptoms? How old are you, have your periods stopped now etc?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 10:31:49 AM »

Hello and welcome. I am so sorry you are struggling with anxiety. It is a very common symptom on here. Are you on any HRT?

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 10:44:17 AM »

Yes,me too,I'm sure Drs are overrun by us meno women visiting with near death illnesses,health anxiety is awful and as we age I think we get more of it but now that I'm slowly coming out the other side,it has lessened,I take CBD gummies which have definitely helped me with anxiety

TheresaP1701

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 11:02:10 AM »

Thank you all.  I’m 61 and have been going through it for a few years now. Can’t remember when I last slept all night. Hot flushes mainly at night now, periods have stopped, but the anxiety levels have gone through the roof.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 11:30:13 AM »

Have a hug!   Anxiety is the pits.

How is your diet overall?  Low blood sugar can cause anxiety surges.  This morning I am suffering due to a different eating pattern yesterday as well as bowel upset (IBS, not a bug).  [see the bowel thread]. 

How were your anxiety levels B4 your periods, if you can remember that far back?  I always had nausea and a sudden need to 'go' in the hours prior to a bleed, even if a period wasn't due.

What was the discussion with your GP?  'nothing to worry about' means nowt to the man in the street!  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use : that's peri-menopausal women not men in the street ;-)

TheresaP1701

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 02:16:24 PM »

The chat with doctor concerned where I had bitten my tongue and a couple of lumps appeared. She was reassuring in that it looked consistent with a tongue bite. It has already gone down a bit but my mind goes into overdrive and I think the worst.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 02:27:00 PM »

My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, both cured after 3 months on HRT. Would you consider trialing low dose hrt? If it doesn't help you can stop but I think you'll find it helps. If you are on hrt then you need a higher dose of oestrogen.

Songbird

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 03:02:32 PM »

My experience was the same as yours, Sheila.  Horrendous anxiety/panic attacks, overheating and insomnia (to the point where I took early retirement).  For me, HRT is what sorted it all out for me.  Had I started HRT sooner I’m pretty sure I would still be working - just didn’t realise what was happening.
Could you maybe consider easing yourself onto the HRT route, Theresa? I know it’s not for everyone, however..

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »

Get some bonjela from the chemist for the mouth which heals wounds quite quickly.

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 04:28:58 PM »

Don't we have a thread somewhere with what we've diagnosed ourselves with? You're definitely not alone Theresa

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 04:47:44 PM »

Yep - I found it recently  ::)

TheresaP1701

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 05:12:24 PM »

Thank you all so much. I’m not on HRT and the doctor has never suggested it, but I might look into it.  Nobody ever tells you how bad going through the menopause is, so I’m really grateful to you all for replying to me and giving me support x

VanillaLover

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 05:45:48 PM »

No you are right, they don’t tell you how bad things can be.  I would discuss with the doctor for sure. There are things that can be done to help- you don’t have to suffer! Hugs