Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ramipril Side Effects : Blood pressure  (Read 4840 times)

Sallyyy

Ramipril Side Effects : Blood pressure
« on: February 06, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »

Hello - I've been on 2.5mg of Ramipril for a while and 2 weeks ago increased dose to 5mg on advice of GP after doing 7 day monitoring.  (Average BP was approx 148/89 but significant number were over 150/90 so said thought it was best to increase dose.)

I haven't felt great since.  Dizziness / headache / low / shaky / light headed and just wondered if anyone else had similar side effects either starting ramipril or increasing dose ... and if these wore off after a while. (I was fine on 2.5mg)

I'm wondering now whether it was actually worth increasing as although the BP not ideal it wasn't excessively high. (My BP hasnt gone very low so thats not the reason for the light headed / dizzy feeling.)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ramipril Side Effects : Blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »

R U able to explain what 'rampril' is prescribed for?

Sallyyy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:26:07 PM »

Its a blood pressure medication

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 04:25:41 PM »

Tnx.   I had Propranolol for years without problems.  However I do have a nerve at the back of my neck which if I turn my head suddenly, I feel woozy.

Amazing grace

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 08:16:39 PM »

Hi sallyyy, I was put on ramipril beginning of last year the 2.5mg dose my blood pressure had been high for a while but I didn’t want to take meds (scared of side effects) but I was hitting 170/101 so knew I had too , but god I had a bad time on them all the symptoms you describe they just got worse the longer I was on them but I also developed the dreaded constant cough it didn’t even bring my blood pressure down that much , because I had the cough I now can’t have any of the ace inhibitors bp meds , my doctor put me on amlodipine 5mg all went well for 8 weeks then dizziness, nausea intense abdominal pain and horrible jitters started , my blood pressure was jumping around all over the place on them too, I have since took myself off them and completely changed my diet and exercise and have maintained a bp of 123/84 average without meds , im absolutely not saying you should stop taking them depends what’s causing your bp to be high mine was mostly diet and anxiety, I dread having to take any again but would if I have too, there are many different bp meds ask your doctor for a different one if ramipril is not suiting you , the one thing i stopped was adding salt to my food and that alone made a big difference to my bp, ask your doctor to try a different med and hopefully it will be one that suits you better, hope you find some relief xx

Sallyyy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 10:48:22 PM »

Thank you for detailed reply Amazing Grace (you have done so well with your blood pressure.)
Do you mind if I ask how long you took the ramipril for ?
I think that’s my worry - that if the side effects haven’t reduced by now (2 weeks) then they’re not going to (?)
Once you stopped taking the medication did the side effects go? At the minute I’m at that stage where I can’t imagine feeling normal again !

Just don’t feel like myself at all really and work very difficult. It’s starting to make me feel depressed now too separate to the other side effects which is all really odd after I was ok on 2.5mg.
I’m going to try and keep going for another few days as I know I might get side effects on any of the others too.
(I did try to reduce BP without medication a few years ago but because I have a pretty good diet already/ relatively fit / don’t smoke / not overweight etc the Dr warned me that it might not make any difference and it didn’t  ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:50:32 PM by Sallyyy »

Amazing grace

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 11:56:15 PM »

I took took ramipril for 3 months, the side effects never went and it took around 2 weeks for me to feel completely normal again after stopping , for some people the side effects do go away once the body gets used to the medication , if you was fine on 2.5mg dose it might be the increase is just taking a while to settle, it’s a difficult one because you’ve obviously done everything right with your diet and exercise sometimes nothing but meds will control bp , and of course it’s really important to control your bp, maybe in another week or so if the side effects haven’t subsided ask your doctor to try a different med, hopefully someone else will see your post who have had the side effects when increasing the dose , you may just need to give it a bit more time very hard though when you feel rubbish , fingers crossed it’s just your body adjusting but don’t suffer if it doesn’t improve and ask your doctor for a different medication x

Amazing grace

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 12:12:52 AM »

P.s sallyyy forgot to say I know it’s really hard when you know you need to take a medication but it ends up making you feel worse , I really feel for you and hope it’s just an adjustment phase and you settle well on it because as you say changing meds does mean another adjustment phase , if it’s making you feel depressed please don’t suffer though, wishing you all the best xx

Talli

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 08:06:52 AM »

Hi Sallyyy, I just jumped in to say that although I didn’t have the same side effects as you while I was on Ramipril I did develop a really nasty rash all down one side of my body and face and the Dr said that was a serious allergic reaction to the meds.
They stopped the Ramipril and put me on Lisinopril and I had the dreaded cough with that. Then they me on Candesartan 8mg which was fine!
During the last year though I’ve lost almost 4 stone and that has brought my my blood pressure right down although I have to stay on the meds cause of family history of heart attacks/strokes etc but what I’m trying to say rather clumsily is that lifestyle changes do absolutely help with some health concerns like high blood pressure.
 :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:21:37 AM by Talli »

Sallyyy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 10:15:12 AM »

Thank you so much for the replies.
Its definitely affecting my mood - feeling low and shaky.  Again very odd when I was ok on the 2.5mg.  I am going to try and see if I can stick it out for another 2 weeks and then review.

Talli

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 01:13:58 PM »

Thank you so much for the replies.
Its definitely affecting my mood - feeling low and shaky.  Again very odd when I was ok on the 2.5mg.  I am going to try and see if I can stick it out for another 2 weeks and then review.

Really hope you feel better soon!
There are loads of different blood pressure meds, you’ve just got to find the right one for you!
 :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 02:37:23 PM »

Shakey ness can be caused when the body requires energy suddenly - mayB review your overall diet ? 

Sallyyy

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 03:18:55 PM »

Thank you everyone - I'm keeping fingers crossed that everything settles.

Amazing grace

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »

Let us know how you get on sallyyy, fingers crossed you feel better soon, take care x

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 12:26:32 PM »

It’s been interesting reading this thread as I find myself in the same position with Ramipril. Why it’s still allowed to be prescribed is a mystery to me from reading historical posts on other forums, this med has horrendous side effects.

I’ve been taking it for two weeks and the most talked and discussed side effect, the persistent cough I am now suffering from. I have a healthy diet, exercise and am a good weight but the aging process is catching up with me and it seems I need statins and blood pressure meds, both of which are giving me horrible side effects.
I am in the process of thinking quality of life or putting up with the side effects of these meds, my dilemma is I am not the most patient of people when continually being attacked by the very things that are supposed to be helping me to a healthier old age.

I have reduced the statins to every other day in the hope my body gets used to the poison, I read that it helps people who suffer with the side effects and it seems to have the same benefits, we will see!