Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan Schedule  (Read 1430 times)

PeriMe36

Utrogestan Schedule
« on: January 31, 2023, 09:04:59 AM »

Morning all, Hope you are all having as good as a day as you can while managing menopause.  I’m looking for some advice re how to take Utrogestan. I’m peri menopausal and still have regular bleeds/periods albeit shortened ones.

My doc has put me on 200mg (2x100mg tablets/day) to be taken on days 14-28. Im a little confused as to what days this applies to. I started taking it on day 14 of my last menstrual cycle. Then had a period/bleed when I stopped for scheduled break. I am quite a literal person so struggle with this kind of instruction.

I started taking it on 7th (day 14).
Stopped taking it on 21st (day 28)

I started my period/bleed on 23rd.

When do I start taking it again? Do I…

Start again on 7th of this month again and stop on 21st again?

Or,

Count days from my exact cycle (23rd)  Taking into account differences in month length (30 or 31 days).

Or,

Start the counting from the last day I took Utrogestan (21st)?

Or,

None of the above and I’ve got it all wrong? 🤣

Argh Im confused.

Thank you!

Xxx

flossie fiddler

Re: Utrogestan Schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 09:32:24 AM »

Are you on anything else? Just wondering why only the Utrogestan? That’s progesterone. Are you on any Estrogen?

Usual regime with peri is to have Estrogen, but unopposed Estrogen isn’t good for womb health so for (usually) 14 days, progesterone is added alongside the Estrogen to encourage a bleed, to keep the womb lining healthy.

When I was peri, I started with Evorel Sequi. An Estrogen patch twice a week for 2 weeks, then a combined patch of Estrogen and progesterone for the next 2 weeks.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 10:34:55 AM »

The easiest way is to start it on the same date of every month x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 11:55:01 AM »

Day 1 is the first day of your bleed. Normally you'd take it for 12 days, days 15-26 then bleed a couple of days after you stop. As you have a strong cycle of your own which will override the hrt cycle it's best to keep the hrt cycle in step with your own if you can. Are you able to tell when tou ovulate? I started utro a day or two after that and it kept them in step.

PeriMe36

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 04:03:07 PM »

Thanks for your responses! 💕

So, I’m also on Sandrena 1mg gel sachets per day which is simple to follow but it’s the Utrogestan I am struggling with. I also take a LOT of medications per day for other LTCs so have a lot to keep on top of (literally have a spread sheet to keep on top of things).

Dotty, considering my other meds it would be much simpler for me to take this approach so I don’t have to also work out days each month on top of everything else. Thank you!

Flossie Fidler, I think the patches might be easier so I will discuss this with GP tomorrow thanks!

Shiela, I think I can know when ovulating because I get migraines every mid month cycle and indictions of ovulation still along with regular cycle so could definitely work on my natural pattern. Thanks!

Still a bit confused by it all and having difficulties with side effects of the hrt in general so I’m going to discuss all your points with my GP tomorrow. Thanks so much for the info!

Xxx

flossie fiddler

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 06:23:19 PM »

The thing I find helps with remembering when to start and stop the Utrogestan is if I cut the card with the number of pills I need, and once it's finished set a reminder to start them again when I need to. Simplifies things a bit.

Thanks for your responses! 💕

So, I’m also on Sandrena 1mg gel sachets per day which is simple to follow but it’s the Utrogestan I am struggling with. I also take a LOT of medications per day for other LTCs so have a lot to keep on top of (literally have a spread sheet to keep on top of things).

Dotty, considering my other meds it would be much simpler for me to take this approach so I don’t have to also work out days each month on top of everything else. Thank you!

Flossie Fidler, I think the patches might be easier so I will discuss this with GP tomorrow thanks!

Shiela, I think I can know when ovulating because I get migraines every mid month cycle and indictions of ovulation still along with regular cycle so could definitely work on my natural pattern. Thanks!

Still a bit confused by it all and having difficulties with side effects of the hrt in general so I’m going to discuss all your points with my GP tomorrow. Thanks so much for the info!

Xxx

PeriMe36

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 07:08:50 PM »

Great! I love a good hack! Will try that. Thanks! Xxx

Bandango42

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 07:40:46 AM »

Hi

I always count the first day of a bleed as day 1 and start taking utrogestan on day 15, regardless of when my bleed starts. Sometimes I start to bleed before the 12 days is up so I stop the utrogestan then and, again, call it day 1. Not sure if that's right though! I'm still having my own cycle some months so I like to keep my own cycle and the hrt cycle in sync, otherwise I end up having 2 bleeds a month. Hope that helps x

PeriMe36

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »

Thanks Bandango42! I definitely don’t want 2 bleeds. One is enough! 🤣 So I’ll watch out for that. I think it will be a case or tying it into my natural cycle too and a bit of trial and error until I work it all out. Luckily, I have been tracking my cycle for the past 12 months so have a good idea of it 👍 Thanks again!
Xxx

GraceM

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 03:16:41 PM »

2 weeks on and 2 weeks off is easiest for me to remember as that way I start it on a Friday and finish it on a Thursday night.  I keep a one page calendar on my locker with the 2 weeks marked out each month.  I wouldn't be working it into my own cycle as that could leave you short of the recommended dose you should be taking if you stop taking it as soon as you bleed.  My period wouldn't always start just after the utrogestan weeks but I continue with the 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off regardless of periods. 

PeriMe36

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 07:54:41 AM »

Doctor said as long as I make sure I take 2 weeks on and 2weeks off it should be fine. I’m switching to a mirena coil for ease though. Doctor recommended since I have so many meds to juggle. Xxx