Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Titanium dioxide in utrogestan  (Read 1159 times)

laszla

Titanium dioxide in utrogestan
« on: January 22, 2023, 04:19:52 PM »

Ladies in 2022 the EU banned the use of titanium dioxide in food which is quite a big deal as its use was so widespread but on the basis of independent scientific advice it was deemed harmful. But weirdly and maddeningly it hasn't been banned in medications which means that it will continue to be used in utrogestan which so many of us take.
Personally I could live with ingesting a dodgy additive if it was just for occasional use but given that I, like so many of us, will likely be taking utrogestan for many years I really find this a bit scary.

And the irony is that, among its many potentially harmful effects, including being a possible carcinogenic and impairing fertility, titanium has been shown to cause ovarian dysfunction and hormone inbalance (including a reduction in progesterone concentration) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304389412008643

I wonder how they can justify using it in meds when it's now banned in foods but in the meantime wondered if there are any other micronised progesterone products available in the UK?

sheila99

Re: Titanium dioxide in utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 09:03:43 AM »

Thanks for posting. This is worrying though I don't suppose fertility issues are going to bother us much. I've just changed from vaginal to oral (better sleep and no mess this way) but this makes me think it might be safer vaginally.

laszla

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 02:49:46 PM »

Thanks ladies. Poppy another micronised prog is cyclogest but also I wrote to Besins who, after a correspondence that felt like squeezing blood out of a stone, said that the utrogestan 200 mg pessaries do not contain titanium dioxide (which could also be a back-up for you Sheila).

The crazy thing about the titanium is that its sole purpose is to give a uniform white colour to the capsule (it's literally the same stuff that's used in paint)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 03:49:22 PM »

So is it in the 100mg but not the 200mg? I thought they were the same apart from the size.

laszla

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 01:30:51 PM »

Sorry Sheila, I re-checked the emails from Besins and actually it's the contents of both the 100 and 200 mg that don't contain the titanium while the capsules of both do - and unfortunately unlike some supplements you can't open and remove the contents of either of these.
Besins said the reason they won't be removing it from utrogestan is that reformulating it would cause too much disruption, but there is no doubt that it is a nasty substance.
I'm currently looking into cyclogest - so far it doesn't seem as if it contains titanium.