Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy mirena coil pain  (Read 1096 times)

Anniesy4

• First Flush
Hysteroscopy mirena coil pain
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:31:34 AM »

Hi this is my first post. I have struggled with peri-menopause for past 7 years & tried all different combinations of HRT, I am unable to tolerate progesterone.
I am now 51 & a few days ago I got the mirena coil fitted via Hysteroscopy due to cervical stenosis the whole procedure was very painful. Unfortunately since day of insertion (now on day4) I have cramps and constant pelvic pain with a dragging sensation in my groin. Just wondering if this is normal post insertion & how long is this pain likely to last? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:38:53 AM by Anniesy4 »

Nas

Re: Mirena coil pain
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »

Hi Annie
It can take a good 6/12 months for the mirena to settle.
Maybe take paracetamol and ibuprofen alternatively to see if that helps?

Your body is trying to adjust to a foreign object being inserted.

If it becomes too much, I would have it removed. It’s a bit like marmite unfortunately; you either love it or hate it!

Mine was fitted last May. It’s settled now (I think ) but I’m still unsure about it!

Anniesy4

• First Flush
Re: Hysteroscopy mirena coil pain
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 12:12:17 PM »

Hi Nas,
Thanks for your reply. I’m taking the ibuprofen & paracetamol but it’s not really touching the pain. I haven’t been able to sleep with the pain & cramps since the insertion via the Hysteroscopy…I feel like I need to get it out now not sure I can put up with it for 3-6 months

Nas

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 12:39:23 PM »

Ah that doesn't sound good at all.
Mine was fitted by a very experienced nurse. It might be that yours isn't in quite the right place.

I think you should get it removed if you are unable to sleep.

They just take a while to settle unfortunately.

Tracylou

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 01:24:35 PM »

Might be worth getting it checked. I had a coil fitted on the 12th Dec by a dr at the gyny dept in hospital. I put up with dreadful pain for 17 days before asking my gp to remove it. When she did, she could tell that it hadn't been fitted far enough up which was the cause of all the pain. I hope that's not the case for you but might be worth checking.

Anniesy4

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 04:38:29 PM »

Hi Tracylou,
Thanks for your reply, it does feel as though it hasn’t been fitted properly, hope you feel much better now it’s been removed.
This was my last go for HRT & I was hoping that the mirena would be successful in sorting out my progesterone intolerance.
Have you found a different HRT or are you now going without?

Tracylou

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »

Still having problems I'm afraid. When the coil was inserted I picked up a staph infection & I'm still having trouble recovering. I had high hopes for the coil. Back on the utrogestan unfortunately. Wondering whether to give up on hrt altogether ☹️

Anniesy4

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 10:13:48 PM »

Hi TraceyLou, I lasted 7 days with the coil & got it removed. I feel same as you & think I will give up on hrt but I still get lots of flushes, night sweats & insomnia which make life difficult when working full time. I really don’t know what to do now. Hope you find relief soon  :)

Tracylou

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 08:43:46 AM »

Thanks Annie, you too. Flushes are about the only thing I don't get, just everything else. I've had symptoms creeping back in but I'm already on 125mg oestrogen so I know my gp won't let me go higher. Thinking of saving up for the Newson clinic.

Nairn

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 07:04:15 AM »

Hi Annie

It took me about 3 weeks to feel better from the hysteroscopy and biopsies   - first week was awful and lots of time in bed.  The leaflet said 24 hours recovery.  Bleeding stopped after 8 days. The consultant wanted to fit a coil but I refused. - tried twice before and not going there again - however it took quite a lot of persuasion on my behalf as the consultant was very keen in her recommendation to fit it.  Many of my friends swear by them but they just don’t work for me.  I now use a low dose of Femonston 2/10 and internal Ovestin cream nightly - it’s the best I’m going to get as I’ve tried pretty much everything, but seem to be progesterone intolerant and sensitive to most things.

I would give it another week, so 3 weeks in total and then ask to be seen

Hope you feel better soon - if you feel the coil is wrong then it probably is - you should not be able to feel it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:15:09 AM by Nairn »

HelloSam666

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 10:21:11 AM »

About 4 years ago i had a coil fitted and it was the most excruciating pain I've experienced. I never expected that after being told just to take some minor pain relief beforehand. I tolerated it for around 2 weeks and then asked for it to be removed. For the 2 weeks i had it, I had pain, a heavy feeling and overall just didn't feel well. I've only had one full-on hot sweat in my life and it was as soon as i got home after having it fitted. Never again.