Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Imiquimod, histamine, hormones  (Read 546 times)

Nicola Winter

Imiquimod, histamine, hormones
« on: January 11, 2023, 11:48:02 PM »

Has anyone else had to use imiquimod while on HRT? It's a cream to treat pre cancerous skin lesions (sun damage), or genital warts.
I've been prescribed it for the scar site of a surgically removed lentigo maligna on my face. It causes the immune system to produce cytokines in the skin which attack the abnormal cells. I've also had covid at Xmas, and simultaneously altered my dose of HRT. I'm suffering terribly with inflammation in my sinuses and I've had migraines. My sinuses are excruciatingly painful. Could the cream be exacerbating things perhaps? It's so hard to tell if it's the fluctuation in hormones due to the altered dose, the covid or the cream 🤦‍♀️. Has anyone else experienced this?

Minusminnie

Re: Imiquimod, histamine, hormones
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 12:12:35 AM »

I can't comment on the cream or alteration in HRT but i had blocked sinuses and popping ears after having covid in August last year.  I went to the doc in the end as the mucousy ear popping just would not clear for ages after testing negative.  He suggested Beconase or a decongestant.  Tried Beconase first but it cleared eventually after short term use of a decongestant.

RebJT

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 09:00:00 AM »

Hi

I can only comment on histamine - are you on mast cell stabilisers, antihistamines and supplements, diet, all the rest for this?  I had histamine issues before I got covid (long covid is a bit of a misnomer, my mast cell over activiation was caused by three bouts of very nasty flu, three winters in a row, including H1N1, back in the early noughties, histamine then went properlyn nuts when I hit perimenopause, and I've had another bout post covid this last May, once again messing up my cycles and hormones but I was insulated from the very worst of it, fortunately, because I was already on protective HRT and histamine drugs when it hit). 

HRT is really important for long covid, but oestrogen is mast cell aggraving, and prog is mast cell calming (usually).  For myself, I couldn't tolerate any HRT without taking heavy duty anti-histamines and eating a really rigorous low histamine diet.  Are you seeing a doctor who knows about histamine intolerance and HRT?  Many women get histamine issues at peri anyway, or when they start HRT (sudden mysterious asthma or hayfever, for instance), others if they get covid, some like me get one, then get hit with the other.

I've got a thread going on here as I'm attempting to switch to continuous as Im hoping the daily progesterone will iron out the fluctuating histamine symptoms that I'm getting on sequential (which had flippin well resolved after painstaking effort sorting out histamine, only to re-emerge post covid, it's a complete pain!).

Reb
x

Kat36

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 02:09:58 PM »

I can only speak personally, but during & briefly after my sinuses were the most painful they have ever been. They were even more painful than when you have a sinus infection. It did settle down eventually.

Nicola Winter

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 12:26:06 AM »

KAT36 Thats very reassuring that it settled after, and also validating to hear you experienced the same as me!
RebJT your info is brilliant and rings bells for me. I've had such a similar journey with histamine, but I've had no support or appropriate advice from doctors! They have never even mentioned histamine intolerance. They didn't even identify peri despite a huge list of peri symptoms, and never considered the impact of 3 doses of covid either.