Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice on how much bleeding to expect with HRT  (Read 851 times)

Noodles29

• First Flush
Advice on how much bleeding to expect with HRT
« on: December 29, 2022, 11:24:03 PM »

Hi everyone.

So I started HRT just over a year ago.  I’m 55 and I’d stopped my periods for 18 months before I started HRT treatment.

As I’m not great with progesterone I only took progesterone (vaginally) for 11 days a month alongside Oestrogel.  My doctor told me to expect a vague bleed once a month but nothing major.  I unfortunately ended up having the worst periods of my life - very heavy bleeding and clotting with terrible cramps.  I had to take iron supplements as the bleeding was so heavy. My periods have always been bad but this was a whole new level. 

I went back to the docs and he suggested a hysteroscopy and biopsy which I had in November.  Since then I’ve changed to daily progesterone (100) and I’ve had another bleed that started just before Christmas.

I was really hoping the daily progesterone intake would stop all bleeding but I was wrong.  This is another really heavy painful debilitating period.  Is this a one off bleed - one month post hysteroscopy or will I now have to endure monthly bleeds as long as I take HRT?  I would stop HRT but I have early signs of osteoporosis and I’ve been advised to stay on it.

Is a hysterectomy my only way out of this.  So worried and confused as I’m post menopausal and this shouldn’t be happening surely?

Any help and feedback would be amazing thanks 🙏🏻

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice on how much bleeding to expect with HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »

Morning.  There are other ways of counteracting osteoporosis.  MayB drop in2 the UK Osteoporosis Website and ask there for alternatives? 

Many find that progesterone upsets the system.  As a sufferer of debilitating painful periods for many years you have my sympthaty.  U could put the product name into the search box to see if threads pop up, make notes ;-).

Hysterectomy can be a life saver, it can also come with its own problems.  'hystersisters' web-site rings a bell  :-\.  Hopefully someone will be along with advice, the person I would look to is on holiday this week  ::)

Was there a particular symptom that encourage you to try HRT? 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 11:52:18 AM by CLKD »

sheila99

Re: Advice on how much bleeding to expect with HRT
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »

Bleeding in the first 3-6 months of a new conti regime can be expected so I would give it more time to see if it settles. If it doesn't you could increase to 200mg daily or try a different progestin, the synthetic ones can be better than utro and a mirena will stop the bleeding for most people.