Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Told to stop VA treatment  (Read 1917 times)

Wren

Told to stop VA treatment
« on: December 18, 2022, 04:38:36 PM »

I have posted my background in ‘New Members’ and was hoping for advice please.   I was spotting most of the time in first 6 months of HRT and then got a light bleed and reported to GP who told me to stop systemic HRT and local – Vagirux and Ovestin.  I had an ultrasound on Thursday and the results will go to GP in about a week.  I did query whether I had to stop the local but they confirmed I had.  Is this correct?  I was just starting to get comfortable after a 3 year ‘battle’ with (self-diagnosed) VA and am terrified of going away at Christmas and being unable to sleep/walk yet again.

Ayesha

Re: Told to stop VA treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 05:10:23 PM »

I can understand the need to stop systemic HRT until you get the bleeding investigated, but not the topical HRT, It’s very safe, if it wasn’t you would not be able to buy it over the counter.
Reading your introduction in the new members forum you have been treated with utter ignorance regarding Vaginal Atrophy. You need to carry on with the treatment because it can become extremely chronic, but you already know that.

Obviously I am not medical but I know if I was in your position I would not stop the topical VA treatment. Hopefully some of the other ladies will be along with more advice for you!

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 05:25:47 PM »

I carried on systemic hrt whilst waiting for a scan, gp advised reduced dose but left the decision to me. Definitely stay on topical oestrogen, as you know things will only deteriorate without it. Bleeding in the first 6 months of a new conti regime isn't unusual. If you continue bleeding you could try a mirena (usually the best at stopping bleeding) or increasing progesterone. If you're using utrogeston try it vaginally as more gets to where it's needed. If you have a polyp it may stop anyway once it's removed. Keep fighting for it, many of us have been in a similar position with ignorant gps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 06:04:35 PM »

Do not stop!  Some medics have no idea about how ladies suffer with peri symptoms including atrophy.  What reason was given for your needing to stop?

VA treatment is usually for life.  To keep the vaginal area moist, less itchy and more comfortable.  I would ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic,  not a gynae as they often don't know any more than GPs!

You've had the ultrasound - were you given any advice at that appt.?  Any questions about HRT asked?  So go back to your regime. Let us know how you get on.

Wren

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 08:11:48 PM »

Thank you for your responses Ayesha, sheils99 and CLKD.
This was an urgent GP tel. appointment - I didn't know the GP.  I told her I was bleeding on HRT after 6 months - I had to explain this was normal in first 6 months.  She asked if she could ring me back in 5 minutes - I assume to find out what to do! I told her I'd cut my Estraderm 50 patch by 3/4 to reduce the oestrogen as I was feeling a bit nauseous anyway.  She didn't acknowledge that but told me to stop everything.
Thank you for your advice sheila99 re systemic HRT. I've already stopped my HRT as advised by the Surgery.  I don't know at the moment what to do about that.  Will sort it when get results through.  As you say, I'll either have to try Utrogestan vaginally or get the Mirena.  It's 'wearing' being on tenterhooks looking for spotting every day.  My main reason for systemic is the VA and Osteopenia and I also had a lot of Muscle pain/spasms in the past but had no idea this was lack of Oestrogen.  I am 58 - last period around age 43.
I'd read local was ok on here while bleeding investigated so I queried the local as it's not a risk - she said everything a risk and mentioned cancer.  Basically, frightened me to stop!  I had this last year, the ultrasound showed a polyp and I had a hysteroscopy. The surgery made me stop local treatment last time as well and the burning soreness got worse.  I don't want to go back to square one.  I have continued with the Ovestin externally.  I'll use a Vagirux tonight, hope my results come in the next couple of days, and get guidance on using Vagirux from then on - from here please as there is nowhere else!
As many say, this site has been invaluable - I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't stumbled across it.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 08:29:58 PM »

Your GP is out of date!  There is very little risk of cancer.  Years ago GPs were scared into believing Research which was discredited.  A GP should be aware of that.

The localised VA treatment should not have any - looks for word here -  ::) impact? on any health problems otherwise it wouldn't be widely prescribed.  You can use Ovestin in and out, I put my dose in and use a little extra on the outer labia when necessary. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful. 

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 07:25:35 PM »

I have posted my background in ‘New Members’ and was hoping for advice please.   I was spotting most of the time in first 6 months of HRT and then got a light bleed and reported to GP who told me to stop systemic HRT and local – Vagirux and Ovestin.  I had an ultrasound on Thursday and the results will go to GP in about a week.  I did query whether I had to stop the local but they confirmed I had.  Is this correct?  I was just starting to get comfortable after a 3 year ‘battle’ with (self-diagnosed) VA and am terrified of going away at Christmas and being unable to sleep/walk yet again.
I had light bleeding for over a year with HRT. It had to be investigated but nothing was found and I wasn't required to stop my Vagifem at all. It is normal to bleed during at least the 1st 6 months and the meno consultant told me ignore it unless it went on longer.  It didn't finally stop until about 18 months after starting HRT. I couldn't manage that long without local HRT.

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 08:41:08 PM »

Do not stop.  I was in a similar position a few years ago and stopped ovestin on medical advice while the bleeding was investigated.  The bleeding was caused by systemic hrt not local.  I stopped ovestin for about 3 months and it took months to get the VA back under control.  Never again.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 09:25:58 PM »

Any news?