Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is the menopause ever over?  (Read 2905 times)

Megamom

• First Flush
Is the menopause ever over?
« on: December 14, 2022, 12:20:31 PM »

I am 59 and have been taking HRT for five and a half years; my last period was 4 years ago.  I’m still getting the usual fatigue, fog, and occasional insomnia, although I don’t get flushes any more and my core temperature is much less thermonuclear than it was.  I actually felt cold a few times last week.

My main niggle at the moment is my eyes.  I have worn glasses all my life, but for the past two years my eyesight has been troublesome, and in 2021 I had 4 eye tests because of blurred vision, each of which showed my astigmatism had changed slightly.  For the past year I have had very watery eyes, especially when tired.  How likely is it that my blurred vision is fluctuating (on top of the background astigmatism) due to menopause, or is this likely to be purely an opthalmalogical problem? 

My main question is this….  Like most women of my age, I tend to just attribute any new problem to menopause and I sometimes wonder when this stops being a reasonable tactic.  At what point does post-menopause blend into just normal life.  When should I be able to hope that any problem can be fixed, rather than just waiting for it to go away?

Hoping to hear from anyone who feels back to normal  :thankyou:

DottyD68

Re: Is the menopause ever over?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 12:30:35 PM »

Hi Megamom,
Sorry to hear that you are suffering with your eyes. It sounds like you have "dry eye" to me which is a menopause symptom, though I'm surprised the optician hasn't diagnosed it.

I use preservative free eye drops (hycosan) which are expensive but effective. I also have an electric heated eye compress which I use every day and hycosan eye gel at night. Sea Buckthorn capsules are supposed to help with the dryness too and are available from Holland&Barrett.

Maybe give some of the above a try to see if it improves.

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 12:51:42 PM »

I have just realised that I didn't answer your question!  ::) Sorry. I would be very interested to hear a positive answer to that question. I think I am coming to the conclusion that hopefully most symptoms will disappear, settle or will be managed but I will never totally get rid of all the symptoms related to the menopause. But one can hope x

Keep On Swimming

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 01:30:06 PM »

That's a great question! I'm only in peri but I'm already frequently wondering when this madness will be over?

I'm thinking the answer is something like, "how long is a piece of string"?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »

Menopause is for Life.  Some have symptoms for years after their last period which is literally, when we enter menopause.  Peri menopause is when we notice The Change.

My eyes are dry - probably due to lack of oestrogen.  As this hormone drops so the body may become dry: inside and out.  eyes, deep in the ears, vagina, nostrils scalp, between the toes: as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

I find that when I've spent 'too much time' on the computer my eyes are dryer.  (drier  ? ).  Occasionally I use beconase nasal spray and eye drops.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 05:25:43 PM »

I am 59 and have been taking HRT for five and a half years; my last period was 4 years ago.  I’m still getting the usual fatigue, fog, and occasional insomnia, although I don’t get flushes any more and my core temperature is much less thermonuclear than it was.  I actually felt cold a few times last week.

My main niggle at the moment is my eyes.  I have worn glasses all my life, but for the past two years my eyesight has been troublesome, and in 2021 I had 4 eye tests because of blurred vision, each of which showed my astigmatism had changed slightly.  For the past year I have had very watery eyes, especially when tired.  How likely is it that my blurred vision is fluctuating (on top of the background astigmatism) due to menopause, or is this likely to be purely an opthalmalogical problem? 

My main question is this….  Like most women of my age, I tend to just attribute any new problem to menopause and I sometimes wonder when this stops being a reasonable tactic.  At what point does post-menopause blend into just normal life.  When should I be able to hope that any problem can be fixed, rather than just waiting for it to go away?

Hoping to hear from anyone who feels back to normal  :thankyou:

I think it's just pot luck, like some never get any symptoms at all and sail through menopause. It also depends on your symptoms, I was lucky and didn't suffer much during menopause but then post menopause I have Vaginal Atrophy.
My eyes are very dry and I use drops to keep them moist and also my vision is deteriorating but I think that's just getting older anyway. Men's vision also gets worse but it's not menopausal.
Sometimes it's just our age, but if estrogen helps then keep taking it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:19:26 AM by Dierdre »

KarineT

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 10:49:24 PM »

I believe that the menopause is permanent but the symptoms aren't. I truly believe that the body eventually adapts to a low level of oestrogen.  I don't believe that the symptoms are a forever thing.  We have to realise that we are all getting older and what we think is menopause-related is, in fact, age-related.  I see the menopause as a phase and that's all it is.  We can't blame it for everything, surely.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:55:37 AM by KarineT »

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 09:24:47 AM »

Yes menopause is forever.

Re symptoms - there are two different aspects to this ( at least!).

Firstly there are the classic symptons that many women get when their ovaries start to fail and hormone levels first vary unpredictably and then oestrogen falls dramatically. The most obvious symptoms are hot flushes and night sweats but there is a myriad of other symptoms too. In some women these symptoms just last through the peri-menopause and early post-menopause and then they stop. Yay!

In other women the flushes go on for years and years, long into post-menopause and sometimes into old age. It is impossible to know whether you will be a short or long term flusher.... some women go onto HRT which carries them through the peri-menopausal period of unpredictability, then stop HRT and they remain free from flushes and sweats. Some women stop HRT and the symptoms return but then gradually decline so they become flush and sweat free, but for others who stop HRT the flushes and sweats gradually return and do not go away - maybe not so bad as in peri-menopause but there and annoying none the less.

Some women decide not to take HRT and then find that they still have flushes and sweats years later.

The second group of menopausal symptoms are those due to the permanent fall in oestrogen levels in your body. Some of these consequences do not produce obvious symptoms, instead there are adverse health consequences. Examples here are vaginal atrophy  - sometimes develops or worsens a couple of years post-menopause, though earlier in many women. Osteoporosis - also is a long term health condition affecting many especially older women, though sometimes in younger women and esepcially those who have an early menopause and those with very low BMI/small skeletal frame. So some women with few or no peri-menopausal symptoms and who do not consider HRT, may develop osteoporosis. Genetics does play a part in the latter.

It is a choice obviously as to what you decide but bear this in mind - nowadays it is common for women to live into their 90's but may enter menopause in their late 40s or early 50's. This can mean almost half your life or say 40 years post-menopase and with depleted oestrogen.

Yes the body adapts to some extent but there is no denying these evidence based negative effects of oestrogen depletion.

Yes there my well be more health problems than first thought, that are due to menopause, but yes once that is accepted, for some things it can be put aside, and then get the condition properly investigated in its own right. Depending on age and stage, a trial of HRT may help.

Hurdity x

discogirl

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 02:53:57 PM »

hi hurdity

this post is so interesting.

my peri meno was actually fine i had night sweats and hot flushes then they stopped.

my issues started about 3/4 yrs into post meno tinnitus, insomnia and anxiety.

im 57 so even if i only live another 20yrs there is no way i could manage that long witbout some form of help xx

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 03:22:32 PM »

In my opinion, not really.

I have had spells of pausing HRT in order to obtain baseline hormonal blood levels but I'm not going to do it again because I am now so post menopause, the blood results are virtually the same every time so I know where I am.

On the occasions when I have stopped using HRT, it all starts off OK but after a few weeks, I start to feel creaky and I start sweating more so it seems pretty pointless to stop HRT and it's definitely not for me.   

I think all lot of women find the early, vasomotor symptoms can disappear with time but many go on to develop new health conditions associated with oestrogen deprivation (there is an endless list of them) but they don't seem to make the connection and assume it's part of the ageing process.

The good news is you can reduce your dose of HRT and still eradicate symptoms post menopause but giving up on HRT completely?   No thanks.

discogirl

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »

thats very true mary g and very well put.

may i ask as you're post meno what dosage and type of hrt are you on if you dont mind me asking x

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 08:09:46 PM »

discogirl, I use one pump of Oestrogel and 50mg progesterone gel every day.  I'm 61 and about 15 years post menopause.

I hope that helps.

KarineT

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 09:46:25 PM »

Ok so you all think this lack of oestrogen is the culprit of all health issues we might be facing?  To some extent it might be but I do believe that the ageing process has a huge part to play. I am not going to blame a lack of oestrogen for everything I get. Before puberty, when no oestrogen was present in the body, it did not cause any issues at all, whether mentally or physically.  For me, the menopause is an irreversible natural process that is permanent but I am not convinced that the symptoms are here to stay.

Also, I don't think that all women who are not on HRT might develop osteoporosis.  It's usually a hereditary condition.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:55:08 PM by KarineT »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 10:20:15 PM »

Osteoporosis is due to lack of bone density.  This can be improved by regular brisk walking, skipping, jogging to impact the long bones to keep the skeleton healthy. Same with the teeth, the jaw requires a chewing action in order to stay healthy.

Menopause literally is the last monthly period.  No more.  Ever.  Symptoms can start for some or continue for others. 

KarineT

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »

One has to exercise if they want to stay healthy as long as possible.
Pages: [1] 2