Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gel Absorption Sandrena V Oestrogel  (Read 1627 times)

Kathleen

Gel Absorption Sandrena V Oestrogel
« on: December 05, 2022, 10:05:53 AM »

Hello ladies.

Another question from me I'm afraid.

I was posting on a thread yesterday in which gel absorption problems were being discussed. I mentioned that I had previously had a high Oestrogen reading on Oestrogel but since changing to Sandrena I had not had a blood test (I suspect I do absorb something of the Sandrena because I had bleeding issues ).

My question is ladies does anyone know how Sandrena absorption rates compare to Oestrogel? I appreciate that many ladies find that there is a difference between the various Oestrogel products but has anyone had any experience with Sandrena gel as well?

Take care ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

Dotty

Re: Gel Absorption Sandrena V Oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 12:15:55 PM »

Hi one of my friends has just swapped from Sandrena to Oestrogel. She said her sweats were getting worse. She was using 1 pump of Oestrogel which is less oestrogen than 1 sachet of Sandrena. She hadn’t realised this. She has increased to 2 pumps.

So that doesn’t entirely answer your question but sort of shows that the two aren’t the same. x

sweettooth

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 12:29:37 PM »

Kathleen from reading other posts, it seems to be individual, some love sandrena and others estrogel.
It’s so hard all this isn’t it?!  Did you have any real disturbances changing over to a lower dose of estrogen?  I am on tablet 2mg and would like to try sandrena but I’m afraid as I’m so sensitive,?im 61 and it’s harder now than peri.  I just can’t understand these fluctuations xx

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 03:44:02 PM »

Hello ladies and thank you both for your comments.

Dotty - yes it is very difficult to compare which makes changing over very confusing. It is further complicated by the fact that Sandrena comes in 0.5mcg and 1mg sachets. My only clue was that when the doctor at Newson Health wanted me to try six pumps of gel and I said that would be a lot to apply every day she prescribed three 1mg Sachets of Sandrena as an equivalent. From that I assumed that one  1mg ( ie 100mcg) of Sandrena was equal to two pumps of gel.

Sweetooth - I completely sympathise because I continue to have fluctuations and I am 66 and many years post meno. I recently reduced my Sandrena gel to a quarter of a sachet daily and I have seen a return of flushes, some night sweats and vaginal dryness. The worst by far is the mood changes which plague me.
I have now gone back up to half a Sachet a day and I'm hoping that will improve things. I didn't have many problems in perimeno but after being post a few years all hell broke loose. The main difference I noticed when I moved from Oestrogel to Sandrena was that Sandrena is more concentrated and I think easier to apply, it also dries quickly. My doctor at Newson Health says that she uses this herself.

Thanks again ladies for your thoughts and I wish you well.

K.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 04:03:45 PM »

Hi a 1mg sachet of Sandrena contains 1mg of oestrogen. One pump of Oestrogel is 0.75mg, so two pumps is 1.5mg x

sweettooth

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 09:36:14 PM »

Kathleen it’s crazy! At 66 what the heck is going on!  You have done well to reduce to such a small dose of sandrena and I hope going back up to half works for you🤞🤞 I don’t even have ovaries and my fluctuations continue.  I was off hrt for 6 years and my headaches got worse and low mood but NO anxiety🤷‍♀️ I just felt low or flat which isn’t ideal either.
I did however get to feel good on 2mg tablet but got vaccine and then covid so upset apple cart  big time.
I think for the likes of us ladies there has to be something going on in our brain chemistry that is super sensitive, what? I do not know.
I have thought of changing my E tablet but then I just read on covid group of sooo many ladies affected by covid/ or jab so I’m not so sure.
Please let us know how you get on with your tinkering.  Wishing you well x

Strawbell

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »

Hi

My estrogen reading was high too 1493pmol/L. No idea what it means but my private clinic contacted me. GP not concerned - surprise surprise. I think the Sandrena gel is stronger than anything I've tried so far. I think its too much. my anxiety / mood is rubbish constant insomnia and I'm on day 11, felt much better in mood when having the progesterone vaginally with it. Its such a bloody minefield, Im consumed with menopause thoughts constantly. Wish I'd never bloody started it! Rant over sorry!

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 01:49:02 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Dotty - I found an old Oestrogel bottle the other day and yes you are right about the dosage. I think the NH doctor was trying to give me as much Oestrogen as she could.

Sweetooth - It is crazy indeed and frankly so am I these days lol. I have ovaries but they are completely atrophied as you would expect at my age ( I saw them on the screen during a hysteroscopy years ago and they were barely there at all ).
Since reducing and then increasing my Sandrena dose I have noticed several changes including less vaginal dryness so I hope that I will feel better soon. I have never had COVID so I can't blame the virus and I don't think that the vaccines were a factor either. It was just me fiddling around with my HRT that has brought me to this sorry state lol.
I agree that some of us do seem super sensitive to declining hormones and I would love to solve the mystery and provide relief for us all.

Strawbell - I wholeheartedly support your right to rant, I often do the same on this forum and the lovely ladies here are always kind and supportive. I am also  obsessed with the menopause and wish that I'd never started HRT but my recent experiment of a very low dose and the constant tearfulness that has resulted has made me think again!
I suggest that you start a separate thread about your high Oestrogen reading as some knowledgeable ladies may be able to advise you.

Thanks again ladies for your time and efforts and I wish you all well.

K.

sweettooth

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 04:45:01 PM »

Kathleen, nothing much to add I’m afraid other than I wish you and all the other lovely ladies on here some good outcomes on this hormone hell  of a journey xx