Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Thyroid issues & support  (Read 16792 times)

Wrensong

Re: Thyroid issues & support
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »

Hi Elliebee, it's always helpful to know FT3 level if we are having symptoms of thyroid dysfunction, but if your tests are NHS I think they are unlikely to test T3 for you as this test is usually reserved for when there is a suspicion of hyperthyroidism, rather than hypothyroidism which an elevated TSH may indicate.
Wx
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:15:16 AM by Wrensong »

Elliebee

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2023, 10:03:42 AM »

Thank you Wrensong . We’ve communicated before. My TSH only slightly elevated on 2 occasions. Will see what antibody test shows and decide then what to do.if antibodies GP said I’ll have regular blood tests. If antibodies not present then no further investigation- just one of those things with raised TSH. Not sure if referral to endocrinologist would be advised?

Wrensong

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2023, 10:31:56 AM »

Always a difficult situation when TSH is only slightly raised.  I see from an earlier post you do have some symptoms suggestive of an underactive thyroid, together with the slightly raised TSH . . .

I do feel low , tired even after a goods night sleep, can feel shivery at times, have brittle nails, and a low resting pulse. Plus diagnosed with high BP in Jan. Could these all be linked to my thyroid ?

If you feel there is no other explanation for your feeling under par & the next thyroid tests prove inconclusive, then it might be helpful to get an Endocrinologist's opinion if this is possible for you.  You said, I think, your T4 is in range - could you post the result if you don't mind sharing, so we can see where in the range it is?
Wx

Elliebee

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »

Hi Wrensong my T4 was 16 .1range is 11-22. TSh 4.24 ( range 0.27 to 4.2)

My B12, folate and ferritin whilst within range are on
Low side of normal and definitely not optimal. I’m having a B12 injection tomorrow (private healthcare).

Wrensong

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2023, 04:49:57 PM »

Thanks Elliebee.  You might feel better with a T4 closer to top of the range than that & your slightly raised TSH seems to suggest your pituitary is trying to get your thyroid to produce more, so the 2 do seem to tie up.  Hopefully the thyroid antibody tests will throw more light on it.

Optimal levels of B group vitamins are important for normal thyroid function as I expect you know & low ferritin can also be an adverse factor.  There is also an increased prevalence of B12 deficiency among hypothyroid individuals.

Elliebee

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2023, 05:08:24 PM »

Thank you Wrensong so lower the TSH and raise T4 is the plan !

Wrensong

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2023, 05:24:58 PM »

Please let us know how you get on if you have time.
Wx

Elliebee

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2023, 05:41:43 PM »

I will do. Would you expect my levels to produce symptoms. Not sure if my symptoms are perimenopause , vit deficiency or thyroid!!!
Guess if I get vitamin and ferritin  levels up it may help thyroid function ok.

Wrensong

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2023, 06:04:08 PM »

Of course you're not sure - that's the difficulty at our stage of life when we are all feeling so unlike our former selves.  Difficult to say for sure, but I think it is possible you could get symptoms of low thyroid if your current thyroid status is suboptimal for you as an individual.  We don't know what your TFT looked like when you were asymptomatic - your T4 may well have been higher & your TSH quite a bit lower.  If you have other classic symptoms of low thyroid such as sluggish digestion, fluid retention, loss of outer third of eyebrows . . . these would increase the likelihood I'd say.

Not sure whether your GP would want to prescribe thyroid meds while your T4 is still in range & your TSH only slightly raised, so you may need to see an endocrinologist if you want an opinion from someone with more in depth knowledge at this stage.
Wx

Spiderley13

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2023, 06:45:57 PM »

Evening,

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of having raised T4 but normal TSH. I have consistently had raised t4 with private tests . I did go to gp a few years ago and was referred to consultant who more or less said because tsh was normal no action was needed. I was discharged from consultant before I had chance to ask any questions , then covid happened so never got to persue it.
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this ? Or whether this could be causing my symptoms rather than peri if that makes sense

Elliebee

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2023, 12:10:17 PM »

Well I definitely have the antibodies! Level of 227 (range is 0-33). GP calling me on Tuesday.

Wrensong

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »

Hi Spiderly13, I'm sorry you've had no answers to your post.  I haven't been in your position of raised T4 with normal TSH, as I'm long term hypothyroid, but as our thyroid replacement dose requirement tends to lessen with age, I do know what it feels like to be on too much, leading to a raised T4 & symptoms of effectively being temporarily hyperthyroid.  Do you have symptoms that you're thinking could indicate an overactive thyroid that are making it difficult to know whether everything you're experiencing is "just" down to perimenopause?  If you'd like to post your TFT results with ref ranges & any symptoms you're concerned about, that will help us to get an idea of what might be going on.  I'm not on the forum much at the mo as have had a bit going on past couple of months, but we have quite a few members with experience of thyroid disease, so hopefully one of us will be able to help if you don't mind giving a bit more info.  You could also PM me if you get no response, but not all PMs are coming through to email for some reason, so I'm finding I'm unaware until I log on that messages are waiting.
Wx

Wrensong

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2023, 08:21:02 AM »

Hi again Ellibee, sorry to know you do have raised antibodies, but that might mean you get onto a treatment path that could result in better health for the long term.  Please let us know how you get on today with your GP appointment.
Wx

Elliebee

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2023, 08:44:16 PM »

Hi Wrensong GP said as TSH only slightly elevated and T4 in normal range along with mild symptoms she doesn’t feel medication is necessary yet. Will check levels in 12 months or sooner if my symptoms worsen.

Wrensong

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2023, 08:15:24 AM »

Thanks for the update Elliebee.  How do you feel about the outcome?
Wx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7