Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Thyroid issues & support  (Read 16433 times)

Wrensong

Re: Thyroid issues & support
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2023, 08:41:17 PM »

Thank you Helly, that's really kind of you, but it's what we're here for  :).

It's good to know that your TSH has varied in the not too distant past as that indicates your pituitary is responsive to your thyroid hormone levels.  Given your high FT3, as I said earlier, I suspect the 2 recent TSH results are just suppressed because there's been a bit too much thyroid hormone going into your system for a while.

I'm surprised to know you don't have Hashimoto's.  Thank you for confirming the hypothyroidism is not a result of earlier Graves treatment either.  If you know why you're hypothyroid it would be helpful to know e.g. congenital, resulting from radiotherapy etc, but please don't feel you have to say if you'd prefer not to.

Thank you too, for your honesty in answering the weight question.  I'm sorry to have asked something so personal & should perhaps have said my reason for asking was that I was worried that if you'd been inadvertently on too much thyroid replacement for any length of time & that had resulted in your being underweight, that could have been the reason for an early menopause.  Women with Hashimoto's have a higher risk of early ovarian insufficiency, but obviously that's not applicable if you don't have Hashimoto's.  I was trying to make sense of your situation so that I don't suggest anything inappropriate.

What I meant by your FSH, LH & Oestradiol being in the postmenopausal range was simply that I'd checked the lab reference range for one of the Health Authorities near where I live as I wasn't sure about the range for LH and both FSH & LH at those values are classed as postmenopausal.  Though LH at that level is also found in premenopausal women, I think your doctor will have been looking at the the 3 results together to suggest that you are in the menopausal transition.  But we need to have had 12 months free of periods to be officially classed as postmenopause & even then, some women have further spontaneous periods, meaning they were not actually postmenopause at that 12 month point.  So the lab ref range is simply giving an indication of hormone levels in that woman's body at the time the blood is drawn, to provide clinicians with a tool to help them confirm or rule out a diagnosis they are considering on the basis of symptoms & history.  So, I can't tell you exactly where you are in the transition & if you have a Mirena preventing bleeds it will be difficult for you to be sure.

Yes, I understand you only went up to 3 sprays of Lenzetto in Feb, but what I meant was that as you were only getting an oestradiol level of 53 from 2 sprays, it seemed unlikely that going up another spray would give you enough to significantly improve your menopause symptoms.  But you won't know until you test again.

I think that's a good plan to ask to have your blood tests repeated, see your GP & if need be go back to the Endocrinologist you made good progress with.  As you don't feel you are having too much thyroid replacement despite your TFTs suggesting otherwise, can I suggest you ring/email your Endocrinologist's secretary & ask what conditions he advises for testing, i.e. does he prefer patients to defer that day's thyroid meds until after blood is drawn & follow his advice for your next test?  As I said earlier, it's more difficult to be sure of what's going on if blood is taken within a few hours of your meds & as you yourself don't feel over-treated & your instincts are important, I think you really need to be as sure as you can, so that whatever changes are agreed they're right for you.  It might just be possible that blood having been drawn only a few hours after you took your meds, the TSH is testing misleadingly low & the FT3 high because they're responding to the very recent, quite big dose of T3.  That's why many endocrinologists like us to test first thing then take that day's meds afterwards.

I'm sorry if some of what I've written in the past few days has not been what you'd hoped to hear, but I really want & also feel a responsibility to try to make sure you don't come to any harm & if I can, to help you take the shortest route to feeling a lot better.  Thyroid hormones are very much Goldilocks meds & as you know, T3 is very powerful, so it's crucial that we don't have too much or too little when every process in our body is affected by how close we can approximate the gland's production in perfect health.  All the while our thyroid replacement is not the best it can be, nothing else, including our response to HRT, will be optimal & we will likely feel pretty rubbish as a result.

The other things I think it might be helpful to discuss with your doctors are changing to another method of oestradiol (patches, gel) if your next result is still below a likely therapeutic level & reducing your Tostran dosing frequency, or changing to a weaker testosterone product if your next T result is again too high.  Please also make sure they know you have been feeling emotionally low.  It can be difficult for others who've not been through the hypothyroid-menopause combination to grasp how terrible it can make us feel, so the clearer we can be about that the easier for them to help us.

I think it's absolutely admirable that you're thinking about how you can best exercise & tweak your diet at a time when you're so fragile.  You deserve to feel a lot better & anything you can do to bring that about will be time & effort well spent.

You were in my thoughts when I woke in the small hours last night & will be again tonight. :hug:
Wx
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:54:46 PM by Wrensong »

Helly1977

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:20 PM »

Hi Wrensong,
Bless you, thanks for thinking of me.

It’s funny they never told me
What the cause of the hypothyroidism was when I was diagnosed. The endocrinologist tested for Thyroid peroxidase antibodies and  were negative. But he also said some patients with hashimotos may have negative antibodies.
Please don’t worry about the personal questions. I have nothing to hide and any guidance you offer is all gratefully received :-)
Thanks for explaining the ranges and how it’s difficult to determine where I am in the journey. That all makes complete sense.
I absolutely will ask the testing preferences from my endo guy- (brilliant idea, thanks!)
It makes sense regarding the sprays and I have a list to take to the gP from your advice, thanks.
Re the diet and exercise, it’s barely happening but I’m desperate to find something that focuses me and keeps me going.
Thank you for everything xx

Wrensong

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »

Hi Helly, if you're reading - just checking to see how you are.
Wx

Helly1977

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2023, 10:20:42 AM »

Hi Wrensong, thanks for checking in. I’m still waiting for my gP appt sadly.
In terms of how I am, I go from being  very down/sad/lonely/isolated to being ok and not much more. My appointment was moved so I have a few more weeks to go yet :-/

Wrensong

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2023, 10:31:09 AM »

Oh Helly, what a pain you have a longer wait than expected.  I am sorry.  Do post about anything you want to, so you feel less alone with it.  The women on here are wonderful for support.  I've been in your situation in peri & remember so well how isolating it can feel. Also meant to say earlier, if you come to the forum with a thyroid query & there doesn't seem to be anyone with thyroid experience around, please feel free to PM me.  I sometimes go many days without looking at the forum, but PMs usually (not always) come through to email so I'm less likely to miss you that way.  I hope your OK days soon become good ones & that there will be many of them.
Wx

Witchinghour

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2023, 07:59:10 AM »

I've made my way here from another forum.

I'm finding it difficult to unpick what is thyroid and what is female hormones and I'm not sure what to do next.

A year ago I had female hormones tested. Results were:

Test.       Range.            Result.   %through range
SHBG   23.4 - 128   88               62%
FSH   3.5 - 12.5   11.2       86%
LH          2.4 - 12.6   6.3               38%
Oestradiol   45.4 - 854   123       9%
Testosterone 0.29 - 1.67   0.78   35%
Free Androgen Index   0.2 - 7.1   0.9   10%
Prolactin   102 - 496   235   34%

I've had conflicting opinions on whether they're good or bad results.

Symptoms I have could be thyroid/low estrogen/peri and I don't know which way is up anymore!

I'd be grateful to hear some thoughts.

Elliebee

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2023, 02:24:05 PM »

Following a slightly raised TSH level in January I have just had a repeat blood test and the TSH level is still slighty raised at 4.24 (ref level is 4.2). Previous result was 4.22. T4 level within range. GP is calling me on Tuesday to discuss result. I’ve not been tested for the autoimmune antibodies.
I do feel low , tired even after a goods night sleep, can feel shivery at times, have brittle nails, and a low resting pulse. Plus diagnosed with high BP in Jan. Could these all be linked to my thyroid ?
I guess my levels are not high enough to warrant treatment?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:26:47 PM by Elliebee »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2023, 11:40:36 AM »

It might be worth asking for a referral to an endocrinologist as there a) may B waiting lists and b) many GPs don't push for any further tests if results 'are within normal limits' even when patients complain of on-going symptoms.

laszla

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »

Wondering if anyone can advise on whether it's worth my further investigating thyroid, initially by re-testing bloods which I do privately though everything else I do on NHS (no GP to speak of, months for an appointment and most are incompetent).

I still haven't made the progress I'd hoped with HRT and some symptoms persist that make me wonder whether perhaps not strictly related to sex hormones but to thyroid issues.
These symptoms are chronic and acute fatigue, feeling terribly cold, especially in the evening, awful sleep, low mood. I think these are associated with hypothyroidism but my metabolism is fast and weight is very low - and struggling to increase it to no avail - which is associated with hyperthryoidism.

6 months ago bloods were as follows - these are all within the normal range but I wonder if anyone could tell me whether it's normal to have any autoimmune thryoid antibodies at all if there's nothing wrong?

TSH 1.37 mIU/L (Range: 0.27 - 4.2)
Free T3 3.4 pmol/L (Range: 3.1 - 6.8
Free Thyroxine 15.7 pmol/l (Range: 12 - 22)

Thyroglobulin Antibodies 15.3 IU/mL
Method used for Anti-Tg: Roche Modular
(Range: 0 - 115)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 10.0 IU/mL
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 01:35:30 PM by laszla »

Keep On Swimming

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2023, 12:38:53 PM »

Hi Elliebee,

I haven't read all your messages so I don't know all your medical history but just because you are "in the range" doesn't mean there isn't a thyroid issue! Has your GP checked for antibodies?

Wrensong is so much more thyroid-savvy than me, so she'll give you better advice! I have Hashimoto's disease and if my TSH goes above 3 (in the range!) I can barely stand!

You need TSH/T4/T3 and antibody tests before you can reach any conclusion about needing meds for your thyroid. And if there is evidence of antibodies then you need to get a thyroid ultrasound to see the "damage". That's what they do here, in France.

All the best.

Elliebee

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2023, 01:02:54 PM »

Hi Keep on Swimming I’m being tested for antibodies on the 6 June. No mention of a scan though just regular blood checks if I have antibodies. Meds only given if above a certain TSH level? My TSH level is 4.24 ref. Level is 4.2.
Was 4.2 in Jan so it is increasing slowly. T4 in range. T3 not tested .

Kathleen

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2023, 06:04:28 PM »

Hello ladies.

I wonder if I can pick your brains on behalf of a neighbour?

She was diagnosed with Hashimotos at the end of last year and has been prescribed Levothyroxine. She asked me if in general it is better to have a TSH reading at the low end of the normal range and a T4 reading at the high end? I said that I wasn't sure  but I would let her know after consulting the experts ( by which I mean you lovely lot lol).

I know several women who are taking Levothyroxine  and every now and then it comes up in conversation but I have never heard this general rule of thumb idea before.

Any comments or insights would be most welcome ladies.

Wishing you all well and take care.

K.

Clarella

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »

Hello - yes it is. However it can fluctuate. So blood tests in the morning around 8am-9am.

Don’t take your thyroxine before it.

Don’t take anything with biotin, a b vit, for around a week before (often in multi vits, collagen things and berrocca etc) as it can affect results.

Ideally lower range, tsh 1 or below. If it’s too low you can feel just as bad. There’s a sweet spot! You also need a little tsh I was told to help conversion.

T4 upper range, usually around 18-20.

However everyone is different. You need to trial a dose for a good 3 months to see if your feel ok (unless obviously hyper) as the half life of the thyroxine is 7-10 days. This is why tests are 8-12 weeks after a dose change. 

Need to be aware that a test in the afternoon could show slightly higher results.

You can take alternate day doses of 125 and 150 or whatever you need. I’ve gone from that to 125 to 100/125 over the course of my hrt journey.  There’s a 12.5 pill now as well.

I’ve discovered that the Utrogestan x2 100 daily i take and the testosterone has improved my ability to use thyroxine (utro lowers something that binds to it and testosterone increases t4/t3 ratios). Transdermal oestrogen hasn’t had an effect on me I don’t think.

Kathleen

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2023, 03:35:10 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Clarella - thank you so much for your comments. I don't know what my neighbours actual levels are though I assume she has made a note of them. I will tell her that she was basically right about the levels to aim for and I am sure this will help her.

Thanks again and take care.

K.

Elliebee

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2023, 08:50:25 AM »

Hi, I am having blood test next week for antibodies following an elevated TSH level but normal T4. Should T3 be tested too ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7