Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Depression getting worse  (Read 1372 times)

ToriiJ

Depression getting worse
« on: November 28, 2022, 01:23:23 PM »

Hi, this is my first post so hope you don’t mind me posting here. I was just wondering if someone is able to offer some advice.

I’ve been on HRT since March this year, firstly on continuous (patches) but found they were not making any difference, well they helped night sweats but was hoping I would feel mentally better. So my doctor suggested Evorel 50 and Utrogestan 100mg daily. I may have the odd few days I’m ok but it doesn’t last long.

Most mornings I wake up and I really don’t want to be alive. I’ve had depression on and off since in my twenties and I have been on anti depressants for most of those years. My doctor suggested trying different anti depressants but I don’t want to keep swapping or yet again increasing the dose. I’m now on a stronger patch (Evorel 75).

Through various research I have done online, I am now wondering if the Utrogestan is making me worse. I haven’t taken any for the passed couple of nights but I’m at a bit of a loss of what to do as I know I have to add progesterone in but I just can’t bare feeling so bad day after day. I am just about functioning, but that’s about it.

I never seem to speak to the same doctor, and none of them seem to have much knowledge of the menopause. I just need some hope. I was hoping I would feel better after not taking utrogestan since Friday but does anyone know if it takes a while to get out of your system?

Sorry for the long post but I really am at a loss and can’t carry on this way.

Perinowpost

Re: Depression getting worse
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 02:04:40 PM »

Utrogestan can have that affect TorilJ and sorry to hear you’re struggling.  When I stop utro it takes 3 days before I have a bleed and those days are probably the worst mood wise as you go through withdrawals. It then takes me another good few days to get back to feeling myself again, so I’d say 7/10 days before you’ll feel better - hang on in there.

I’m sure others will be along to support you but have you tried 7 x days vaginally with utrogestan. It’s professor Studd’s (now deceased) regime. He pioneered it for prog intolerant women, and works on the basis you take as little as possible to make sure you get more of the good days. You do have to have regular scans with this regime. Type it into the search box at the top of the site or alternatively google Proff Studd.

Wishing you well x

ToriiJ

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 02:26:24 PM »

Thank you so much at Perinowpost. It’s reassuring to hear I’m just being impatient with expecting to feel better almost straight away. That sounds good just taking it for 7 days vaginally. I will have a google.

Thank you once again x

LGardiner

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 02:42:27 PM »

I’m having similar issues.
I was diagnosed with ovarian failure 3 months ago. I’m 37 I have suffered with anxiety and similarly have been on and off antidepressants since childbirth 6 years ago. I have a Kyleena coil and currently using 2 pumps of oestrogel a day. I feel utterly awful. My doc has now told me as I haven’t seen any improvement that i need SSRIs and Vit D3.

I was hoping I’d at least be offered alternative HRT / change coil etc but nothing. I’ve been battling for 5 years and thought I was getting answers but once again the only answer I get in antidepressants. I too could of thrown myself  under a bus last week as I’m at a total loss, I don’t understand it all enough and I’m at the end of my tether. Surely someone out there can help us.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 02:45:22 PM »

:welcomemm:
I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I'm sure you know there's an increased cancer risk if your womb lining builds up so it's important you have enough progesterone to keep it thin. As your depression is a long standing problem it may not be either caused or cured by hrt though it's definitely worth tweaking it to see. You could try a sequi regime using the recommended dose of utro for 2-3 months and see how you are. If utro is the problem you could then either try a different type or reduce utro below the recommended dose but I can't stress enough the importance of scans if you go down that route. The utro manufacturer says 200mg for 12 days per cycle either orally or vaginally, Newson says you can halve it if used vaginally, not sure how much testing she's done at higher oestrogen doses but at 75 you are *probably* OK. Definitely worth trying vaginally IMO though I use it this way and it still gives me fatigue.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 03:03:25 PM »

group  :hug:

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »

I’m having similar issues.
I was diagnosed with ovarian failure 3 months ago. I’m 37 I have suffered with anxiety and similarly have been on and off antidepressants since childbirth 6 years ago. I have a Kyleena coil and currently using 2 pumps of oestrogel a day. I feel utterly awful. My doc has now told me as I haven’t seen any improvement that i need SSRIs and Vit D3.

I was hoping I’d at least be offered alternative HRT / change coil etc but nothing. I’ve been battling for 5 years and thought I was getting answers but once again the only answer I get in antidepressants. I too could of thrown myself  under a bus last week as I’m at a total loss, I don’t understand it all enough and I’m at the end of my tether. Surely someone out there can help us.
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
Two pumps of Oestrogel is only a low to medium dose, and I would think not enough for someone as young as you. If symptoms are not controlled after 3 months the usual procedure would be to increase to three pumps, see how you go, and if necessary increase to 4 pumps.
JP x
JP x

ToriiJ

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »

Thank you all for your replies, each and everyone is appreciated.

I’m just so confused about everything and just feel like stopping HRT altogether as I really don’t know where I am with it all. My depression was more or less under control but since starting HRT it seems to have worsened.

I despair really.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 08:22:01 PM »

Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary mayB of use. 

Some HRT can cause problems with anxiety and depression.  R U able to tell if yours is cyclical?

ToriiJ

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 08:31:34 PM »

I do journal but I can’t seem to find a pattern at the moment. My mood can just take a sudden nosedive from something that is just a small problem that wouldn't have triggered me in the past.

I did use to suffer with bad PMT though and get very depressed before my period.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 09:33:29 PM »

Eat regularly, every 3 hours - 24/7.  Gentle exercise, get into the ☀️ as much as possible and perhaps take VitD capsules through the darker months.  My mood can suddenly dip which is awful! 

Do U feel safe or a danger to yourself?

ToriiJ

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 08:57:36 AM »

Thank you CLKD. I do exercise quite a lot and walk my dog too.

I’m not a danger to myself, only because I couldn't do it to my family.

I feel even worse today, perhaps stopping the Utrogestan so suddenly has not helped.

Perinowpost

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »

You need to give it time TorilJ to get out of your system. It will get better x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 09:44:40 AM »

MayB contact MIND Charity, in some areas they have walk in 'cafe' type places.  I found the local 1 here very supportive when I had a sudden bereavement.