Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Menopause or something sinister?  (Read 723 times)

Bandango42

Menopause or something sinister?
« on: November 28, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »

Hi all

Does anybody ever wonder if everything that is wrong with us at this stage of life should automatically be put down to 'the change' or whether we should actually be worried about something? I've been on HRT since around May this year and pretty much all of my original symptoms have been dealt with. My anxiety, hot flushes, night sweats, rage, depression have all gone. However, there's a few things going on which I'm uncertain about. My hair has started to fall out. I've lost quite a bit of weight and I'm slim at the best of times, around a stone in the last 2 months (although did give up alcohol a month ago) and also I have this dull ache (sometimes sharp when breathing in) in my middle to lower back which doesn't seem to go despite painkillers and a change of mattress. Other than that I feel fine. I guess I'm just looking for someone to say 'yes I had those symptoms during menopause' because I can't seem to shake the feeling that it may be something else. I don't want to come across as a hypochondriac either here or at the gp's because each of those things can be explained away but it seems every symptom us ladies deal with is put down to menopause when in fact it could be something else. Am I worrying for nothing do you think? Or would you get checked out? Sorry for the long post xx

Dotty

Re: Menopause or something sinister?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 11:23:35 AM »

If you're worried its best to see your GP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 12:12:18 PM »

If it's worrying you then see a GP or a physio interested in womens' health.  Puts your mind at rest, especially as getting appts is harder than drilling blood from a stone.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  The body may become dry: inside and out.  Many find that hair loss becomes a problem, which may be related to HRT regimes.  Which pain relief and how often have you used it? 

Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary? 

When DH steps on the bathroom scales which then scream at him, he drops alcohol and loses weight. 

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 01:25:49 PM »

All the symptoms you describe come up on here all the time.   

Health anxiety is a massive problem for a lot of menopausal women and it is usually centred around cancer and thinking all symptoms are something sinister and life threatening.   

My own theory (which is completely unsubstantiated and I have no proof whatsoever) is that acute health anxiety is caused by progesterone drop off along with anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia.   Progesterone is a calming hormone at the right dose but at the wrong dose, it's lethal and causes all sorts of horrible side effects.

What HRT regime do you use and are you taking any other medication?

Bandango42

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 01:55:14 PM »

Mary G - I'm on evorel 75 patches and utrogestan 200mg x 12 days. Started on 25, then increased to 50 and most recently 75. No other medication. My GP seems to be the opposite of a lot of women's experiences, he is always more than willing to give me whatever I want. At each review I've told him how I feel better and how I don't and he just prescribes another increase. Which is great in some respects but on the other hand it feels a little 'have this and bugger off'! You're probably all right and there is nothing wrong with me other than the symptoms of menopause. Just frustrating, as soon as I sort one symptom another arises and because there's so many and they go on for such a long time, you start to wonder 🙄

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 02:29:23 PM »

If there is no obvious reason for the weight loss I would see your gp, particularly if you're getting below 'normal' weight.