Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: No more runners' high. Anyone else?  (Read 2574 times)

Petra

No more runners' high. Anyone else?
« on: November 26, 2022, 10:50:49 PM »

Any runners out there? I've been a runner since my 20s (am 60 now) and always loved how it felt to go on a long run, feeling strong, and ... well, just a sense of well-being. Now, it just doesn't feel that way anymore, even at the start of a run before I get tired.

I was doing well in my 50s, until maybe 4 years ago...I assumed it was just a normal part of aging...and I should go for more walks etc. But I just thought I'd ask on here: anyone else had this, or not had this or found a way past this or...well, should I just accept it and walk/bicycle more. I miss that great running feeling...so thought I'd ask.

Perinowpost

Re: No more runners' high. Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 07:40:31 AM »

I’m not a runner Petra so can’t specifically answer your question. But what I have found when I exercise as I’ve got into my 50’s is my body hates any sort of overtly physical exercise such as cardio. I actually get headaches if I try it. What it does like however, are gentle forms of exercise like yoga, walking and swimming. I just put it down to the ageing process and I’ve accepted it x

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »

Hi Petra,yes I used to run, I loved it,5 miles 3 x weekly but then I got a bad foot,had an op and after 8 months or so,back to running then meno hit and I've had a severely slipped disc,so that's the running stopped now, I also developed osteoarthritis,so DO listen to your body,I feel like if I'd listened to mine a few years back I'd not have all these ailments today, I do miss running but now I just walk the dogs,it's not as satisfying but it's exercise,PLEASE do be careful,I'm 59 and some days feel 79 our bodies do change as we age and the pounding exercises are just not good for our joints,so take care x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 09:56:07 AM »

Like greyhounds, humans are built for sudden bursts of speed: either whilst chasing prey or whilst fleeing that Sabre Toothed Tiger.  In recent years humans have relied more on vehicles so we don't get our daily exercise.  On one side my family are all farm workers so were up at dawn, into the fields, home at dusk.  Not running as such but hard exercise all day with a few breaks - my Mum remembers taking her Dad's sandwich to him in the fields at 11.00 :-))).

We evolved to walk upright which impacts the joints all the way down.  Chimps may walk a few steps upright, in general they run bent over in short bursts. Usually shouting at each other  ::) and yes, they too get arthritic joints.

Listen to your body.  Have U thought of running/walking type exercise?  Preparation is important for the muscle groups as is warming down.  The modern approach is ice baths.  Apparently  :o

Dancing is good too ;-). 

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 11:22:43 AM »

https://youtu.be/90TdusmoQ50

That's a link to a lady who does meno exercises and in some of her videos she explains why high impact exercise isn't good for us when we reach a certain age xx

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 12:25:33 PM »

Pilates and walking are the exercises for me now that I am of an age!

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am not a runner but I love walking as my exercise. I have a problem with a toe which I need to investigate but so far it hasn't stopped me walking for at least an hour a day.

I have been wondering if using a treadmill at a gym would be a good substitute for walking outside? The other piece of equipment that interests me is the rowing machine because it  provides a good cardio workout and resistance training. Another advantage is that it doesn't put pressure on the joints as they are supported and move in a very natural way, no twisting etc.

Hopefully an exercise high can be achieved by means other than pounding the streets or parks. I certainly hope so.

Take care ladies.

K.

Petra

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 07:14:14 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I think I definitely need to let that go... listen to my body, as you all say. I have been doing a lot more walking...and walk-runs (walking interspersed with a bit of running), and I cycle a lot more than I used to.

I guess it takes a while to emotionally let go of activities like that that one loved. :-) But it's better to walk and bike than to injure myself and not be able to do anything...

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 07:50:34 PM »

It's definitely for the best Petra, I WISH I'd stopped the running sooner, I could have saved myself all these injuries  :'(

Petra

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 12:10:45 AM »

Hi Kathleen,
I have a treadmill and exercise bike in the garage. Sadly, I never get that sense of wellbeing from them that I did from running. Walking outdoors is great for the outdoorsness...that's it's own high, but different. I agree, I'd like to try a rowing machine as I really don't do any upper body work tsktsk OTOH, when the weather's crappy, it's nice to be able to read or watch stuff on the iPad while exercising indoors (treadmill and exerbike).

I have been wondering if using a treadmill at a gym would be a good substitute for walking outside? The other piece of equipment that interests me is the rowing machine because it  provides a good cardio workout and resistance training. Another advantage is that it doesn't put pressure on the joints as they are supported and move in a very natural way, no twisting etc.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »

Gentle walking uphill ?  It would be great on Mam Tor this morning or over looking Brighton towards the sea. 

getting_old

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 07:09:33 PM »

I've never been a runner, so can't help with that, however I have friends who still run and do other sports. Talking to my physio he tells me that the key to continuing with sports is to ensure our joints and muscles are "well maintained", so lots of stretching etc. before and after any activity. It may be worth having a consultation to help with exercises that will allow you to continue running if that's what you enjoy.

Petra

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 04:12:33 AM »

thanks @getting_old. I have been running a couple of times a week and have been (touchwood!!) injury free for ages...I do stretch after running. The issue I guess was that it doesn't FEEL as good as it used to... not so much that I'm suffering injury etc.

getting_old

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 06:44:17 PM »

Have you tried changing the location so somewhere more scenic, or doing a fun run to give you a goal? That's what usually helps me with walking as I find I get bored of the same route every time.

Petra

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 01:56:49 AM »

Interesting idea, @getting_old. I'd have to drive to someplace new, given when I live, (I run from my house, which limits the variety on offer) but I'm going to think about that. Why not! Thanks.