Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hair loss on low dose HRT  (Read 973 times)

pamb21

• First Flush
Hair loss on low dose HRT
« on: November 25, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »

Hi ladies

I'm on the lowest dose of Evorel - 25 - and I take Provera 2.5 mg for my progesterone. I've been doing fine on it since July this year, but I've suddenly noticed that I'm shedding quite a bit of hair.  I've cut the patch in half and also cut the Provera tablet in half to see if that helps.

I see that someone mentioned that the patch should be cut diagonally.  Is there a reason for that as I cut mine straight through the middle.

I had hoped that by taking such a low dose would stop me getting any side effects and I'm not sure if, by cutting it down even more, would make it not even worth taking. 

Pam

Flossieteacake

Re: Hair loss on low dose HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 04:20:13 PM »

I think cutting diagonally is due to the way the HRT is applied to the patch. By cutting it diagonally it does not interfere with it. Could the hair loss be due to you lacking anything? I am sorry you are experiencing hair loss. It is very distressing.

pamb21

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 08:41:43 PM »

Thanks for the reply Flossieteacake

I probably do need to get my ferritin levels checked to see if that could be the cause.  I became vegan over 2 years ago so that could be an issue, although I do try to eat a balanced diet, and I know our iron levels don't need to be so high in our post menopausal years.

I've never had a thick mop of hair so I can't afford to keep shedding so I'm quite prepared to suffer the hot flushes if need be.

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »

I think low estrogen can cause hair loss so you may need an increase rather than reducing it? I've just increased to 75 due to the same issue, not seen any difference yet but have only been using it for just over a week. I hoping the increase will slow the shedding down.

Cara999

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 10:39:32 AM »

I'm suffering with the same, Ive been on elleste duet 1mg since summer and I've lost a lot of hair. My hair is thin anyway, it's really getting me down I'm considering stopping, although i feel really good on it. I also take Vagifem. Does anyone know how to help. Would perhaps a different HRT regime work differently xx

pamb21

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 04:26:18 PM »

Bandango42, I thought it was the progesterone part that caused the hair loss rather than low estrogen?

Maybe it's a combination of both, but a higher estrogen dose means higher doses of progesterone.  It's all very confusing isn't it. 

Cara99, I also feel good even on the lowest dose, but hair loss is not something I'm prepared to put up with.  It would be great if I just had low ferritin levels and could just take a supplement.

Bandango42

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 07:15:18 AM »

Pamb21 - I've never heard of progesterone causing hair loss? OK, now you have me worried! If anyone else can confirm this, I'd be interested. At least I'd know then. I've had 3 increases in estrogen since May and never had to increase my progesterone at the same time, I've always been on 200mg x 12 days. I did Google hair loss and menopause when it started and the only thing I could find was that its the low estrogen that causes it. But you're right, it's a nightmare trying to figure it all out and, like you, I'm desperate to find a way of stopping the shedding. I have thin hair anyway, so it's desperately unsettling. I dread washing my hair now 😞

Cara999

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 10:33:25 AM »

Pamb21 I'm having my bloods check also but I think it's too much of a coincidence it started since taking HRT. My hair before wasn't shedding. I think I'm going to have to stop because I can't loose anymore!! Total nightmare all this xxx

pamb21

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 08:20:59 PM »

Bandango42 - apparently Provera, the progesterone that I'm on causes hair loss and I think the progesterone in Evorel conti is worse. Then again I also read on here that some women think it's the estrogen that is causing the hair loss!!

I thought that you would need extra progesterone when you increased estrogen to make sure you had enough to oppose the higher estrogen.  Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

Cara99- it is distressing and difficult to know what to do.  I've just started getting hot flushes again with reducing my dose so am dreading getting them back much worse if I come off it altogether.

Cara999

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 09:22:32 PM »

Pamb21 it is very distressing. Are you going to stop the HRT altogether? I'm sat here currently debating whether to take my pill or not!!! Xx

pamb21

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 10:06:03 PM »

Cara999 - I think I'm going to get my ferritin levels checked first and then decide.  I suspect they are probably okay, but I could be wrong. 

Where you having really bad symptoms when you weren't taking HRT?

Cara999

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 10:32:56 PM »

Pamb21 no not really bad, I went on because of VA mainly. My sleep was disturbed and periods were bad. I've to make an appointment this week for mine checked, if all okay she will swop me into something else.

Let's hope it is just that we are deficient but for me i very much doubt it xxx