Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ovestin or Vagifem cream  (Read 1269 times)

Peanut31

Ovestin or Vagifem cream
« on: November 22, 2022, 01:59:34 PM »

Hi

After some advice on here, I’ve managed to secure a telephone appointment with a nurse with regards my frequent urine infections, tomorrow.

It’s with the menopause clinic I’m with already. I’m going to request some cream, as I’m 100% sure I have Vaginal Atrophy as I’m getting bladder infections regularly.

I can’t shift them no matter what I take and use,  and all the symptoms I’m experiencing points to this.

I’m already on HRT as I’m peri menopause with periods, but they are all over the place.

My question is what cream would be best to ask for Ovestin or Vagifem?

My symptoms are itchy and burning and the need to go to the toilet every god damn minute, then it’s burns when finished as well. I’m really bloated too, don’t know if this is related?

I’ve looked at reviews on Vagifem and some have said it causes bloating, weight gain and sore boobs.

Is Ovestin cream a more mild cream? Or aims at a dry vagina?

I just feel like it’s one thing after the other with the menopause business. Even my hubby said “you never get a break”.

I’m going away in January on a long haul flight and to be honest I’m dreading it as worried because of this.

Best wishes
Peanut31

JAM67

Re: Ovestin or Vagifem cream
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »

Hi, I was very similar to you as I had need to go to the toilet what felt like every half an hour, I put up with it for quite sometime until I started getting the pain in my bladder you describe.

I got a phone appointment with GP and just told her I had VA and needed treatment for the excessive toilet trips and pain, she offered vagirux or Ovestin.
At the time I had watched a video with Dr. Louise Newson about Vagifem so knew I would prefer the pessary.

It has been fantastic with the bladder symptoms but I still had the dryness and itching (even though I use Yes moisturiser daily) so now I have the Ovestin as well and I still need to use the moisturiser.

I’m not on HRT though as I think this wound help you.

Completely know where you are coming from with ‘never getting a break’ I am always saying ‘whatever next’😂

Good luck tomorrow
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 02:25:15 PM by JAM67 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 02:52:07 PM »

Good advice from JAM67. 

Have you had urine tested in a Lab. Peanut31?  If results came back 'no growth' your GP should have prescribed appropriate VA treatment: sadly many are still unaware that the condition exists.   >:(

I find 'ovestin' easy to insert and non messy, the applicator with small brush washes clean after use.  Let us know how you get on.  When I get the Need2P with the nip as urine flow stops, I take 2 nurofen 3 times a day.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 02:55:12 PM »

I would ask for Ovestin as that is a cream so can be applied internally and externally. With vagifem you will still need a cream for the outer area and I worry you may not be given both if you were to ask for both.

Peanut31

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »

Hi

Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Last time I had a urine infection and spoke to my GP (four weeks ago) they said a urine test was not needed. They told me to go to the chemist and buy the pessary form for thrush. I get thrush and cystitis symptoms.

I even asked if they wanted a sample Unfortunately, my GP surgery is still high on covid restrictions,  and I wonder if this is why they don’t want patients visiting the surgery.

Best wishes
Peanut31

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 03:17:02 PM »

Your GP surgery is negligent.  They need to know that vaginal atrophy symptoms mimic urine type-infection feelings really really well.  Get a copy of 'Me and My Menopausal Vagina' from Amazon, read and pass to your GP ;-).

Thrush requires an examination to diagnosis correctly!  Thrush treatments can irritate VA. 

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »

Vagifem is a pessary, Ovestin a cream. It will be trial and error at first before you know what suits you best, also add moisturiser to the list, very important ingredient in the VA regime.
The sooner you start VA treatment the better because it can take months for the treatment to take full effect.

Peanut31

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »

Hi,

I’ve just ordered the book mentioned as I’ve just watched Louise Newson on Vaginal dryness based on a recommendation here. She mentioned that book and some other products.

I’ve ordered some bits from Yes to help too.

Hopefully the nurse from the Newson Clinic will prescribe Vagifem and or Ovestin as I’ll tell them I’ve used several products with no success and it’s getting worse.

Thank you all so much for your advice and support, it is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Peanut31

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2022, 03:34:28 PM »

I am so pleased you will now get the treatment you need. They really should prescribe you something especially if you say you have vaginal atrophy. I hope the appointment goes well.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 03:41:15 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  Most of us have suffered a bit!

Peanut31

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »

Hi

I just thought I would update you all after all your advice given.

The menopause clinic have prescribed me with both Vagifem and Ovestin at my request. I spoke to a nurse and described all my symptoms. I requested both (will only try one at a time) as I’m going away January on a long haul flight and to be honest I’m dreading it, and was thinking of cancelling it. However, hopefully this will really help me now.

She has requested I also contact my GP for a urine sample to check. As you recall I spoke to my GP last time I had an infection as requested they check my urine and they said not necessary.

I’ve contacted my GP online today, and requested a sample be taken and tested, they have agreed.

Thank you once again for all your advice.

Best wishes
Peanut31

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 12:04:46 PM »

I am so happy to read this! It is wonderful you have both vagifem and ovestin and will also have your urine tested. I hope you have a lovely time away in Janurary.

Peanut31

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »

Thank you.

Xx