Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: All going south again :(  (Read 797 times)

discogirl

All going south again :(
« on: November 15, 2022, 07:25:16 AM »

Well just an update, I moved from patches to gel on 9th November.

Symptoms are insomnia and anxiety (anxiety is doing ok actually)

I like the gel and I use two pumps in the morning.

At the same time I went on the gel however, I also decided to try and taper off my 10mg amitry. Just taking a lilttle sliver off with a pill cutter. Don't know if its to do with slightly reducing the amitry or what but I only got 3 hrs last night.

It seems that when I increase my hrt or move to another hrt ( as in moving from patches to gel) I seem to sleep really well for about 1 week then it all goes south again. Does this mean I need to increase my gel to maybe an extra half pump?

I only started using the gel on 9th Nov, so I'm a bit worried about whether to increase the gel to an extra half pump so soon or what. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I know you have to give things time, but the gel seemed to work for me, it seems to wear off after the first week xxx

Limpy

Re: All going south again :(
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:23 AM »

Well just an update, I moved from patches to gel on 9th November.

Symptoms are insomnia and anxiety (anxiety is doing ok actually)

I like the gel and I use two pumps in the morning.

At the same time I went on the gel however, I also decided to try and taper off my 10mg amitry. Just taking a lilttle sliver off with a pill cutter. Don't know if its to do with slightly reducing the amitry or what but I only got 3 hrs last night.

It seems that when I increase my hrt or move to another hrt ( as in moving from patches to gel) I seem to sleep really well for about 1 week then it all goes south again. Does this mean I need to increase my gel to maybe an extra half pump?

I only started using the gel on 9th Nov, so I'm a bit worried about whether to increase the gel to an extra half pump so soon or what. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I know you have to give things time, but the gel seemed to work for me, it seems to wear off after the first week xxx

It seems a bit daft changing the "10mg amitry" at the same same as sorting out the gel dose. Might be as well not to change so many things at the same same. No wonder your body is confused!

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 10:05:49 AM »

I know, it was stupid, I'm just so desperate to come off the bloomin things.

Gone back up to 10mg, now, I was just curious to see if it was the amity affecting my sleep xx

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »

I think I agree that changing the amitriptyline at the moment is not the right thing to do. 

Nicodemus

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »

I wouldn't have thought 10mg amitriptylline would any effect on sleep, it's normally a much higher dose for insomnia. Have you been put on it for sleep or for something else - 10mg is normally used for nerve pain I think?

But it's definitely wise to not change more than one medication at once otherwise you won't know what's working or not working.

Fedfan

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 02:00:31 PM »

I am on 10mg of Amitrip too and on gel. Amitrip really helps me sleep. I missed a tablet the other night and was awake in the night. Let your body get used to gel for a little longer and then taper slowly off the amitrip if you want to come off it. Cut a tablet in half for a few days, then quarters. Good luck

discogirl

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 03:04:29 PM »

hi dotty

yes your right. i stuck an extra half oump on this morning to see if that helps.

what do you think dotty xxx

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 03:14:00 PM »

hi fedfan

thanks for your reply.

when i first started amitry it helped me sleep for the first 8 wks but after that the sedative effect didnt work.

and yes i need patience im just so frustrated with my sleep at the minute.

hi nicodemus

thanks for your reply.

your right it  is used for nerve pain i take it for mild tinnitus in my right ear and when i take i dont usually hear the tinnitus.

i actually take the amity in the morning as it does not sedate me now but the drug does have a long half life.

actually you maybe right that 10mg probably wouldnt cause insomnia as a side effect it may have to be a higher dose.

i used to sleep so well. this all started really with tinnitus.

im post meno and before hrt my blood estrogen levels were 19 but i am post meno.

if it isnt low estrogen causing it then im stumped. my anxiety seems ok though which was really bad and i havent had hot flushes or night sweats since last yr. long before i went on hrt x

Nik2502

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 04:47:50 PM »

Hi Discogirl

I’m taking ashwaganda. Sleeping like a baby! I did ask my doctor if it was okay to take with me other meds and she gave me the go ahead.

It has also taken away the morning anxiety.

Xx

discogirl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 05:00:00 PM »

hi nik2502

my daughter takes ashwaghanda.

did you have to take it long before it helped you sleep.

do you take it before bed

can you send me the link where you bought it.

thanks so much xxx

Nicodemus

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 05:42:30 PM »

i actually take the amity in the morning as it does not sedate me now but the drug does have a long half life.

actually you maybe right that 10mg probably wouldnt cause insomnia as a side effect it may have to be a higher dose.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, I meant that when it's prescribed to treat insomnia it's usually at a much higher dose. So being on 10 probably wouldn't help you sleep anyway therefore you no longer taking the 10 or missing a dose of it is unlikely to have caused the insomnia.

discogirl

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 06:01:41 PM »

hi nicodemus sorry for misunderstanding.

i take 10mg i did go up to 40mg in the past but you can develop a tolerance to the sedative side of it over time.

i understand that sleep issues can be a side effect but i suppose you can get thst with any drug.

thanks for clarifying that though x