Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just A Quick Moan  (Read 1003 times)

Kathleen

Just A Quick Moan
« on: November 05, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »

Hello ladies.

I just wanted to let off steam if that's okay.

I have been post meno for a long time and my HRT experience hasn't been great. I seem to have ups and downs whatever regime I am on. My main symptoms of anxiety and tearfulness are present every day and I am so exhausted with it all.

I felt good yesterday but as often happens the horrible quivering and low mood reappeared later in the day. The evening was okay as it usually is. This rollercoaster arrangement keeps me guessing as to what is going on. I have recently reduced my gel but I had the same symptoms when I was on a higher dose. I never managed to get to a very high dose of say 800 plus pmol/L  because I started heavy bleeding at 600pmol/L.

HRT has never been so great for me. I was told numerous times that it didn't really address the emotional symptoms of the menopause and  unfortunately they are the ones I am stuck on. With the exception of one mild flush a day my physical symptoms have resolved even on this lower dose.

I already take Venlafaxine which is an AD and I am seriously considering taking another break from all HRT to see where I am without it.  I did this in 2019 but I was embarrassed about weird crying spells so I went back on it. Newson Health then  prescribed high doses of Oestrogen, low doses of Utrogestan and after a while I added in testosterone. My mood swings continued and then the bleeding etc began so I had to reduce anyway.

Ho hum ladies. I am so sorry to moan but I am so  frustrated about the lack of progress. I even wonder if I have now developed some sort of mood disorder as a result!

When I eventually get an appointment with the consultant I will ask if the menopause experience can lead to more permanent emotional problems. I certainly didn't have these issues until I was a few years post meno.

Apologies again ladies and thank you for reading this long moan.  Sending hugs and best wishes to you all.

Take care.

K.

Flossieteacake

Re: Just A Quick Moan
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 02:01:25 PM »

First of all, please do not apologise for your post. This is a safe place for you to post whatever you wish too.

I really sympathise. Could it be mental health related and not menopause related? Your symptoms are what I have had all my life as I have mental health issues. I understand it coincided with being post meno but perhaps it is a coincidence.

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 02:09:03 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Moan away as much as you like, it must be so frustrating and exhausting for you.

I think you and I need to combine our bodies somehow ;D

I get practically no emotional symptoms but lots of physical one’s,
so the complete opposite of you!

Mine are most likely being caused by thyroid issues so it just goes to show how different we all are.

The turnaround for me emotionally has been taking otc low dose lithium orotate. I think I’ve mentioned this before on a few threads.
I don’t take any AD’s, I used to but they never seemed to work.

I’ve taken lithium orotate 5mg off and on for a couple of years now but was never consistent enough with it to get resolution. But the last three months I’ve kept at it and don’t intend ever to stop.

This just might be an answer for you too Kathleen.

M x

Epona52

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 03:53:46 PM »

Hello Kathleen,
I think this is the perfect place to have a moan as it's only us ladies who really know what it is like to have to go through this, don't be too hard on yourself as it is our hormones that throw all our emotions all over the place  :(
I don't think that hrt really addresses the emotional issues at all, and yet we are lead to believe that oestrogen is our happy hormone but I don't find it lifts the moods or makes a difference to the 
Anxiety, I'm only saying that because I've tried increasing the estrogen in the hope it will change the way I feel but I still wake up with anxiety tummy that last all day, when I'm sleeping that's slightly more peaceful until I wake up in a panic, I wish there was someone who could truly explain why this happens, when watching the davina programe I remember two experts saying that menopause has a dramatic impact on the brain and that we are better off putting the estrogen back into our bodies to protect our brains, I like you feel worse through meno, nothing at all like my former self, all I can say is if you can enjoy a moment or a nice day or couple of hours then make the most of them, wishing you all the best and hope you feel better soon
X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 04:56:35 PM »

Hello Kathleen,
I think this is the perfect place to have a moan as it's only us ladies who really know what it is like to have to go through this, don't be too hard on yourself as it is our hormones that throw all our emotions all over the place  :(
I don't think that hrt really addresses the emotional issues at all, and yet we are lead to believe that oestrogen is our happy hormone but I don't find it lifts the moods or makes a difference to the 
Anxiety, I'm only saying that because I've tried increasing the estrogen in the hope it will change the way I feel but I still wake up with anxiety tummy that last all day, when I'm sleeping that's slightly more peaceful until I wake up in a panic, I wish there was someone who could truly explain why this happens, when watching the davina programe I remember two experts saying that menopause has a dramatic impact on the brain and that we are better off putting the estrogen back into our bodies to protect our brains, I like you feel worse through meno, nothing at all like my former self, all I can say is if you can enjoy a moment or a nice day or couple of hours then make the most of them, wishing you all the best and hope you feel better soon
X

Your words really resonated with me Epona. I am so sorry you are going through that.

Nik2502

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 07:21:32 PM »

I think most of us have similar feelings and it’s certainly a rollercoaster. You aren’t alone though and there’s nowhere better to let off steam 😊
For me, knowing I’m not alone and going insane is a blessing.
I hope your appointment gives you some answers.
Big hugs
Nik xx

trandall

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 09:08:53 PM »

Hi Kathleen as the others said don’t apologise we are all in this together and need one another. I would say that the anxiety has been the toughest symptom for me too and I also cry and wonder if like me you have never had anxiety prior to this so find it very alien. My physical symptoms are manageable too so sometimes find it hard to match the emotions with menopause because everything else is not too bad. Have you tried meditation ? I was shocked how much this helped me might be worth a try x

Padine

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 05:10:41 PM »

Hi ladies, I used to comment often on MM but haven't for ages. Been thinking of joining in again as post-meno now for 5 years, I've been to hell and back with no one to turn to. I read Kathleen's post and cried as I relate to all you mention Kathleen and as Nik says, knowing I'm not alone and going insane is such a blessing.
         Big hugs and cuddles to you all and I look forward to reading and sharing more post-meno worries+feelings.

Love,
                                                        Padine xx

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 05:35:00 PM »

Kathleen, if your physical symptoms are more or less resolved l wonder if you would benefit from counselling to help with your anxiety and emotional turmoil. Sometimes a quiet space where you are really listened to by someone who is objective can be very helpful.

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 07:51:56 PM »

Hi ladies, I used to comment often on MM but haven't for ages. Been thinking of joining in again as post-meno now for 5 years, I've been to hell and back with no one to turn to. I read Kathleen's post and cried as I relate to all you mention Kathleen and as Nik says, knowing I'm not alone and going insane is such a blessing.
         Big hugs and cuddles to you all and I look forward to reading and sharing more post-meno worries+feelings.

Love,
                                                        Padine xx

Welcome back, Padine  :)
JP x

Marchlove

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 08:10:12 PM »

Hello Padine

Never alone so big welcome back  :-*