Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Progesterone and Diazepam  (Read 1593 times)

Miss piggy

Progesterone and Diazepam
« on: November 04, 2022, 09:22:19 AM »

I am suppose to be tapering diazepam but am stuck.
Every time I take the HRT progesterone patch I am getting hit with really bad withdrawals. I assume it is not agreeing with me.
Has anyone else found progesterone - hrt or own - making them feel worse?
Has anyone stopped HRT before benzo?
Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Progesterone and Diazepam
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 09:33:25 AM »

Morning.  What dose of 'valium' are you taking and how often?

R U able to describe the 'withdrawal' feelings?  4 me it was anxiety - it took 9 weeks to taper off an AD, each time I had bounce back anxiety: after 12 hours I realised that the symptoms didn't get worse.  Although not pleasant: my head kept asking 'what if I can't stop completely' : I was able to doze through the 1st 12 hours of dose reduction. 

Progesterone upsets many women.  Some are simply unable to tolerate it at all.  Which regime are you using?

If you are struggling during the Progesterone part of your HRT, then don't reduce the 'valium' at that time. 

Miss piggy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 09:48:45 AM »

15.75mg valium spread over 4 times a day.

I am sort of stuck here as everytine I go to start to consider the taper I reach the progesterone part of Evorel Sequi and i seem to have a bad reaction to it. Similar to a withdrawal - anxiety, upset stomach, lack of sleep, lack of appetite, no concentration, agrophobia, SI. It can last up to 5 weeks.

I have no idea how to proceed. I think I probably have to come off the hrt and I also have a progesterone mini pill.  The GP just said to take the HRT for low mood and slightly raised one fsh level. No other symptoms.

However the both work on gaba so not so easy to stop.

Any advice appreciated?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »

The Norethisterone in Evorel can have negative effects on some women. A different progesterone may make all the difference.

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:04:48 AM »

Hi! how R U proceeding with the withdrawal of 'valium' and why?  It can take a while because psychologically we worry about side effects, the 'what ifs' etc..  There really isn't any rush?  How long have you taken it, which will impact on how you feel each time. Like U, most of those symptoms happened - but I did withdraw from the AD and did survive. 

MayB think which symptom you would like to ease re the HRT?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary helpful. 

Miss piggy

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 10:16:29 AM »

Thank you Taz. I was wondering about how to perhaps stop the HRT. Not sure how to taper it.
The Norethisterone in Evorel can have negative effects on some women. A different progesterone may make all the difference.

Taz x  :hug:

Miss piggy

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 10:20:26 AM »

I am suppose to be reducing at 0.25mg a month as cant copecwith big cuts. I have already made some cuts so already in withdrawal.

My biggest concern is the progesterone and when I put on the patch how it is making me feel. It is awful. I would like to try and come off it but not sure how to.

Hi! how R U proceeding with the withdrawal of 'valium' and why?  It can take a while because psychologically we worry about side effects, the 'what ifs' etc..  There really isn't any rush?  How long have you taken it, which will impact on how you feel each time. Like U, most of those symptoms happened - but I did withdraw from the AD and did survive. 

MayB think which symptom you would like to ease re the HRT?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary helpful.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:09:01 PM »

It is most likely to be the progesterone making you feel poorly.  How long have you used it? 

0.25mg isn't a big amount, it's for maintenance so the body/brain shouldn't notice much difference, especially if you are doing it every 4/5 weeks.  What's your biggest worry about stopping? 

Have your menopause symptoms eased at all?  Not wise to stop taking too many meds at the same time as you won't know if you are flying a bike or riding a kite  ;).  Too many people take too much time warning about how difficult withdrawal might be: who is supervising you?

Miss piggy

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

I have had it since last April but problems with it since June.

Still got 15.75mg diazepam to come off. They will not let me do it until I can stabilise on the hormones.

I did not have any menopause symptoms apart from a low mood so that is why the gp put me on them! I wish I had just said no.

It just adds more meds into the mix with the antidepressant and benzo.

It is most likely to be the progesterone making you feel poorly.  How long have you used it? 

0.25mg isn't a big amount, it's for maintenance so the body/brain shouldn't notice much difference, especially if you are doing it every 4/5 weeks.  What's your biggest worry about stopping? 

Have your menopause symptoms eased at all?  Not wise to stop taking too many meds at the same time as you won't know if you are flying a bike or riding a kite  ;).  Too many people take too much time warning about how difficult withdrawal might be: who is supervising you?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »

'they' being who?

It is entirely up to you how you handle your health issues.  How do you feel about stopping HRT, what symptom would bother you the most?  So that you know if it is the 'diazepam' causing symptoms.  I suspect the progesterone.

How are 'they' suggesting the withdrawal process?  In your situation I would expect to stop 1 dose out of the 4 - every 3rd day, gap of 2.  Then stop 1 dose on the 2nd day ...... then a gap of 2.  Keeping notes on any reactions. 

Miss piggy

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 02:20:48 PM »

Psychiatrist and nurse
It is patches - evorel sequi

'they' being who?

It is entirely up to you how you handle your health issues.  How do you feel about stopping HRT, what symptom would bother you the most?  So that you know if it is the 'diazepam' causing symptoms.  I suspect the progesterone.

How are 'they' suggesting the withdrawal process?  In your situation I would expect to stop 1 dose out of the 4 - every 3rd day, gap of 2.  Then stop 1 dose on the 2nd day ...... then a gap of 2.  Keeping notes on any reactions.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 03:54:58 PM »

I would ask for a referral to a specific menopause clinic.  Or ask your mental health team to liaise with a menopause Doctor to find out exactly what is required so that you get the best over all advice, because I think that they R barking up the 'wrong' tree. 

Has your mental health been affected by hormones?  Certainly I would weep the night prior to a bleed, even if a period wasn't due.  So I kind of knew without thinking too deeply that my crying was hormonally linked even though it wasn't discussed  ::)