Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Advice please ..  (Read 1633 times)

carolD

• First Flush
Advice please ..
« on: November 02, 2022, 09:09:03 AM »

First of all, thank you to all you for this great website & for all the posters who offer advice .. I have been lurking for a while & found it really helpful & it was actually recommended by my doctor which is encouraging to think they know about it.

My question is about a feeling of something pressing down, made worse when i sit.

I was on Vagifem for VA as I am extremely dry but found they were not dissolving properly so the doctor put me on Estriol cream 0.01% which has worked well(ish) alongside Dr Wolffes cream. Then recently, I had the same old symptoms, felt like a UTI, did the urine samples which didn't reveal any infection.  The doctor gave me meds for Thrush, & said if that didn't change anything to go back to the base 2 week daily loading with the Estriol cream.

About 3 days into this, I noticed irritation on sitting, like i was sitting on a ****ly ball & it was very uncomfortable.  I immediately thought 'prolapse' or 'hernia' & after 2 days of worry & soreness I was back in touch with the doctor.  She called me in for an internal examination & says I have a very slight prolapse but that is common in all women who have had children.  Apart from that, all looks healthy & she has no concerns. All sounds good, but I still have that feeling of 'something there'! Lying down is great, i got up this morning & all was fine, but within 20 mins sitting at the computer, i feel it ..

I am 62 & have mild back problems & IBS, but apart from that am in good health.  I have had VA symptoms for probably 8 years but have only been treated for it for the past two, as my first doctor just dished out the antibiotics as with many women.

I hope someone can offer me advice, is this going to settle?  Its only a week since i had my internal & I was so relieved when the doctor said she wasn't concerned, but frustrated there is still a problem .. just hate having to keep going back ..

Thank you in advance ..

Dierdre

Re: Advice please ..
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 09:35:04 AM »

It sounds like a grade 1 prolapse and can be retified without surgery. I had this a few years ago and was referred for physio. This combined with Vagifem internally and Ovestin externally sorted it out. Try the Vagifem again now you're not so dry.
Although the doctor has no concerns it is still uncomfortable and sitting on it is sore. Asked to be referred to a physiotherapist. It takes a few months to improve but it does work and there are also a few ladies on here  had this treatment succesfully.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 10:13:51 AM »

Hi carolD. Your symptoms of feeling that you have a ball inside when sitting and the fact that you feel ok after lying down all night are typical of prolapse. Its true that lots of women do have this but it's not fair of your doctor to just leave it at that. I agree with Deirdre that if you are given a referral to a pelvic floor physio/clinic you will be given a thorough evaluation and tailored programme of kegel (pelvic floor exercises) can be worked out for you to folow. If started early enough you will be able to give yourself the best chance of preventing the prolapse worsening and also prevent other prolapses developing. Do you know what has prolapsed? I've had bladder and uterine prolapses plus a small bowel one. Have you been given any info about prolapse? There are things you can do to help. It is a very uncomfy feeling.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

carolD

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 10:53:43 AM »

Thank you for your replies .. I do appreciate any advice ..

Taz2 - The doctor said it is a prolapse between the bladder & front wall of vagina. The last 2 nights, I have noticed emptying my bladder at night has been different, taking a while to start & then very slow, yet in the day there is no difference. I have to do another urine sample in 2 weeks as there was a little blood in it last time it was checked when i had the internal.

Dierdre - I have googled 'What can i do to help myself with a grade 1 prolapse' but what did you do on a day to day basis, please? Did you rest laying flat in the early afternoons - as some people suggest.  I'm already avoiding stooping low, lifting anything heavy - all the obvious things.

It feels like the feeling after giving birth, when all your muscles have been pushed forwards & for a few days you are sore.  I am thinking I will sit on a pillow as when I can get comfortable sitting, i am fine .. & as i run my own little hand knitting business I need to sit, both in the armchair & at the computer.

One more question, I am over the 2 weeks on daily overnight Estriol cream loading & back onto twice a week.  I have been using Dr Wolffes but I am wondering if Sylk or Yes is better.  I have tried each before but which, or an alternative would you recommend for daytime use for the dryness.

Thank you again

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »

I was working full time when I had my prolapse, so no lying down in the afternoons and I had to use a medical doughnut to sit on at my desk.  You could also fold a towel under each thigh on your chair to leave a gap in the middle. Physio also taught me to sit forward not lean back, sounds contradictory but it was better.  Don't lift anything heavy. Yoga helped, the cat/cow movement helped pull the prolapse back in. The physiotherapy was the best help as they show you the correct muscles to strengthen the pelvic floor, you can do this the wrong way which can make it worse.
I've never been able to reduce to twice weekly with Vagifem or Ovestin and most use daily all the time. I would have thought you will need both Vagifem and Ovestin regularly to see an improvement with the prolapse as it's mostly lack of estrogen that causes this problem not just because you've had children. Women can have a prolapse through heavy lifting, straining through constipation, hysterectomy and chronic coughing but it mostly happens after menopause when the oestrogen depletes.
I use YES water base if im feeling dry for the atrophy, but use whichever suits you best.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 12:53:05 PM by Dierdre »

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »

There are details here about different prolapses. I think you have a cystocele https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pelvic-organ-prolapse/ My cystocele has returned eight years after surgery but as I had to have the hysterectomy because the womb also eventually prolapsed this was something I was warned about.

If things do get more uncomfy for you but you don't want to try surgery then you can have a vaginal 'ring' fitted which holds things back in place.

I am on full HRT plus vagifem to give me the best chance of avoiding further 'droppages'  :)

Taz x

carolD

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 04:55:58 PM »

Thank you both ..

Dierdre

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:41:41 PM »

I tried the ring but it didnt feel right and I pulled it out after a day,  but they do work for a lot of people. My friend has used one for years for an uterine prolapse.
As yours is a slight prolapse I think you will be able to sort it with the execises and estrogen.