Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Peri @44 ??  (Read 1348 times)

Spiderley13

Peri @44 ??
« on: October 16, 2022, 07:46:29 PM »

Evening all,

Been have peri symptoms probably for about the last two years but got much more intense this last few months  , had a docs appointment booked but they cancelled at last minute. Just had private blood test results and have high FSH , does this mean I’m more likely to be menopausal ? Scared that when I get a new appointment they will just dismiss my symptoms and say I’m too young …… anyway else been in a similar situation ?

Flossieteacake

Re: Peri @44 ??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 07:50:15 PM »

Hello Spudley and welcome to the forum. You are not too young to be in peri. I started at 38. I would be firm with the doctor when you get an appointment and insist on trying HRT. That is if you want HRT. :)

Spiderley13

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »

Many thanks for the reply , yes I think I would like to try HRT but also worried at the same it might make things worse before they get better and that docs will say it’s anxiety but I also have other symptoms and convinced that it’s hormones out of whack  ( oestrogen came back in range tho so not sure if something else can cause higher than normal FSH ?- I am on the pill ? ) thanks again , it’s all very daunting at the moment ….

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 08:07:37 PM »

Many thanks for the reply , yes I think I would like to try HRT but also worried at the same it might make things worse before they get better and that docs will say it’s anxiety but I also have other symptoms and convinced that it’s hormones out of whack  ( oestrogen came back in range tho so not sure if something else can cause higher than normal FSH ?- I am on the pill ? ) thanks again , it’s all very daunting at the moment ….

I totally understand. It is very daunting. It may help to have a browse of the forum and read some posts. Anxiety can be a peri symptom too and I would say you know your body best. As you are on the pill an FSH test will not be accurate. When I first mentioned peri to doctors they told me I cannot have any tests due to being on the pill so I went by my symtoms.

Spiderley13

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 08:14:20 PM »

Ooh thanks I didn’t realise the Fsh would be unreliable on the pill , I have now had two high Fsh tests ( one normal in the middle ) I guess I wanted some kind of ‘proof’ before I went to docs as assumed ( wrongly ) they would insist on tests as below 45. Thanks will take a look at the rest of the forum now

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 08:21:14 PM »

Ooh thanks I didn’t realise the Fsh would be unreliable on the pill , I have now had two high Fsh tests ( one normal in the middle ) I guess I wanted some kind of ‘proof’ before I went to docs as assumed ( wrongly ) they would insist on tests as below 45. Thanks will take a look at the rest of the forum now

The doctor told me a test would not be reliable while taking the pill but you are right to say they would try to test if you were not on the pill. I understand you wanting to have the tests done as I know what it is like to be dismissed by doctors.

Emzib0b

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »

Hi Spudley,

Your situation reminds me a little of mine over the last couple of years. I had my first symptoms at 38 (I’m 40 now). I had a private FSH blood test while I was waiting for a GP appointment. Although it was a little raised, the GP I saw wanted to repeat the tests through the NHS. Is there a sympathetic GP at the practice who you could see? I recommend having a look at Dr Louise Newson’s book “Preparing for the Perimenopause and Menopause” and/or her website. It made a massive difference to me in representing myself. This forum has been brilliant, too! Do let us know how you get on. Welcome to the forum!

Spiderley13

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 08:35:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply ,much appreciated and i will check out the book , I have had two tests that were high but under 30 ( which seems to be the number I keep seeing in)
Fingers crossed the two high tests will be enough to convince them ….

Spiderley13

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 10:50:03 PM »

Evening , just a little update , had my appointment today and my HRT journey is likely about to begin ……. I was so nervous before the appointment but they were brilliant , listened to my symptoms and agreed it may be time to try HRT, been sent lots of information and a follow up appointment next week to discuss options moving forwards.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 08:58:44 AM »

Evening , just a little update , had my appointment today and my HRT journey is likely about to begin ……. I was so nervous before the appointment but they were brilliant , listened to my symptoms and agreed it may be time to try HRT, been sent lots of information and a follow up appointment next week to discuss options moving forwards.

It is so good to hear your appointment went well and you were listened too. Thank you for updating us.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 08:59:44 AM »

Morning.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Let us know how you get on.  We shouldn't have to fight to be listened to!