Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Oral thrush on hrt  (Read 1152 times)

Hopeful2

Oral thrush on hrt
« on: October 11, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »

Hello ladies.

Looking for some advice again please.

I am taking hrt over 2 weeks now and got really bad oral thrush again. I have nystatin in house which I didn't get on with last time but thought I'd try it again.

I wondered if anyone had taken flucozanole tablets while on hrt as it's says you shouldn't use both these together. These tablets always clears up the thrush but I'm afraid ask GP in case it will interact with the HRT. I did take both these together before but thought my mouth got more sore so I'm panicking as usual.

Thanks for your help.

Flossieteacake

Re: Oral thrush on hrt
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 04:04:21 PM »

I did not know flucozanole could not be taken with HRT. I have taken them both. How odd.

Hopeful2

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 05:50:30 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake thanks for replying 😊

Did you have any side effect taking them both together?

Last time I tried HRT I got oral thrush too. Does HRT make thrush worse?

Sorry for all the questions.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 06:07:52 PM »

Hi Flossieteacake thanks for replying 😊

Did you have any side effect taking them both together?

Last time I tried HRT I got oral thrush too. Does HRT make thrush worse?

Sorry for all the questions.

Please never apologise for asking questions. I did not have any side effects at all when I took them both together. I did some research and looks like in some people it can cause symptoms such as nausea. It does not seem common from what I read.

I have never heard HRT can make thrush worse. I know you are very sensitive to medications though. I wonder if you would benefit from taking a daily probiotic. I understand you may react to that though so perhaps not a good idea.

Amazing grace

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 06:16:06 PM »

I took a 6 month course of one 150mg fluconazole once a week for persistent
vaginal thrush, it was caused by using hrt when I first went on it, I too read that you shouldn't use it when using hrt, I asked the gp and pharmacist and both said it would be fine, I had no problems with using both together, ask your pharmacy just to be reassured x

Hopeful2

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 06:32:56 PM »

ThanÄ· you both very much for your replies. I'm very grateful.

I get the thrush on my tongue and lips too and when I take the treatment my lips go sticky I guess that's because the thrush is coming off. It freaks me out too. I am ashamed I am so anxious.

Did you continue to get thrush on the HRT Amazing Grace or did that just happen the once?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 06:34:49 PM »

There is no shame in health anxiety. It is a very real and distressing thing to experience. It is scary not knowing what is happening to your body. Hopefully knowing it is thrush and you can take an oral tablet will help reassure you a bit.

Amazing grace

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 07:00:43 PM »

Don't be ashamed about being anxious nearly all of us have or do feel anxious about various things, I got constant thrush for the first year I was on hrt, it was at that point my gp started me on the 6 month course this way there was always fluconazole in my system and stopped the thrush constantly coming back, it never came back after that 6 month course, my husband gets oral thursh from using inhalers for asthma he takes the 150mg fluconazole tablet and it clears it up really quickly he also uses a mouthwash which has chlohexidine in it don't know if I spelt that right, it treats oral thrush too you can buy it from supermarkets or pharmacy he can't use daktarin gel as him makes him feel queasy just the texture of it, hope that might help you a bit, best wishes to you and really don't feel ashamed, I've been and still have horrible phases of being so anxious x