Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How quickly are changes in HRT felt? Is it immediate or can it take longer?  (Read 882 times)

Gilla999

In the second week of August I reduced my Lenzetto from 4 sprays to 3 sprays, primarily because of the severe Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria I've been suffering with all summer, that seems to be aggrivated or triggered when my Estrogen is high (eg around ovulation). At the same time I tried increasing my Progesterone from 100mg vaginally to 200mg.

I have been totally fine and well with the changes until last weekend when suddenly everything went wrong - a return of all my original Peri symptoms of horrendous 3am insomnia (I've had about 3 hours sleep a night since last Sunday despite being on both Mirtazapine AND Trazodone and I'm totally wrecked  :'() and terrible night sweats where I'm having to wash my sheets daily. The only times it's been this bad are before I started taking HRT and after Covid in April which seemed to mess my hormones up.

I had initially thought perhaps it was due to the increase in Progesterone (which I stopped 5 days ago), but now I'm wondering whether it could be a "delayed" result from lowering my HRT in August? Is there any consensus on how quickly changes to HRT are felt?

Gnatty

Could it be a sudden drop in your own oestrogen production do you think? Why not try an extra spray and see if it helps?

Gilla999

Yes it's definitely possible Gnatty. In the last 3 or 4 months my hormones seem to be all over the place (which I realise is normal for Peri!). I've increased back to 4 sprays today so I'm keeping everything crossed that it starts to help soon. I'm lucky in that it's been a while since I've been in this hole, but even so it's still hard to be rational and tell yourself it won't last forever x

Dandelion

In the second week of August I reduced my Lenzetto from 4 sprays to 3 sprays, primarily because of the severe Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria I've been suffering with all summer, that seems to be aggrivated or triggered when my Estrogen is high (eg around ovulation). At the same time I tried increasing my Progesterone from 100mg vaginally to 200mg.

I have been totally fine and well with the changes until last weekend when suddenly everything went wrong - a return of all my original Peri symptoms of horrendous 3am insomnia (I've had about 3 hours sleep a night since last Sunday despite being on both Mirtazapine AND Trazodone and I'm totally wrecked  :'() and terrible night sweats where I'm having to wash my sheets daily. The only times it's been this bad are before I started taking HRT and after Covid in April which seemed to mess my hormones up.

I had initially thought perhaps it was due to the increase in Progesterone (which I stopped 5 days ago), but now I'm wondering whether it could be a "delayed" result from lowering my HRT in August? Is there any consensus on how quickly changes to HRT are felt?
I think they say to give it three months, but when I upped my patch, symptoms went that day, and when I lowered it, I needed my fan back that day.
I think it varies for different people.

Gilla999

Yes Dandelion, the confusing thing is that when I've tried lowering my HRT in the past I would get side effects within a few days, but they were always extreme tiredness and a general under-the-weather feeling. I haven't experienced it where I've not had those side effects and then 6 weeks down the line I've had a return of my original symptoms of 3am insomnia and really bad night sweats, if you see what I mean.

I think I remember someone - maybe Hurdity? - commenting previously that there are changes that happen at two different levels, there's sort of an immediate change and then something else too... but I'm not explaining that very well as I can't remember exactly what was said  :)

Does anyone else sometimes just dread the years ahead? I'm still only 43 and I really hope there isn't another 10 years of upheaval ahead of me!

Dandelion

Yes Dandelion, the confusing thing is that when I've tried lowering my HRT in the past I would get side effects within a few days, but they were always extreme tiredness and a general under-the-weather feeling. I haven't experienced it where I've not had those side effects and then 6 weeks down the line I've had a return of my original symptoms of 3am insomnia and really bad night sweats, if you see what I mean.

I think I remember someone - maybe Hurdity? - commenting previously that there are changes that happen at two different levels, there's sort of an immediate change and then something else too... but I'm not explaining that very well as I can't remember exactly what was said  :)

Does anyone else sometimes just dread the years ahead? I'm still only 43 and I really hope there isn't another 10 years of upheaval ahead of me!
I dread the future, but not because of menopause. Because of the consequences of choices I made, but that's non meno stuff.

To give you a bit of positivity, I started my meno at 42, here I am at 56, 14 years later, and I am still going.
I think long menopauses are the exception rather than the rule.
We are all different, there may be some women who start early and finish early.

As for Heredity's post, I am wondering if she meant that hormones lower again at a later stage in life?
If so, we had a practice run.
Bleeding meant I came down from 100mcg oestrogen, I did ok on 75, and 50, and 25, even though this drop brought back night-sweats, however, I am, once again, being woken up in the morning, with butterflies in my stomach and the runs.
Before I gradually moved up to 100, last decade, I had IBS and they wanted to do a colonoscopy, luckily, moving up to 100mcg firmed me up.
The IBS is back as well, I was Googling return of menopause symptoms.
Don't let me put you off, I survived it, and still am.
I think most women don't have years long transitions into the tranquility of old age, gynaecologically.

As for 3am insomnia, that sounds awful.
I have read a few women on here, being woken before wake-wakey time at 3am.
Maybe there should be an online club for women awake at this ungodly hour, who feel like the last person on earth.
I often cannot get to sleep till this time, I do something, I do feel lonesome, I imagine everyone else in our block of flats, snoring.

Anyway, I am 56, started at 42, to be greeted by cortisol rushes and neck sweats in bed, but I am still here. I went from 50 to 25 without telling my doc, as I have had bleeds at higher doses.
I just think it's a shame to stay on "not-enough-oestrogen".
It doesn't make sense, my body is either bleeding from too much, or showing symptoms of not enough, but I will go back down to 25 if I have to.
What was your reason for lowering your dose?
Would you consider raising it again so you don't have breakfast with the owls?